Industrial Brothers is looking for Software Engineers (internally known as Pipeline TDs) of all levels to create and support pipeline and artist tools for series animation production, including work on a new 3D animated action-adventure series for Netflix. It is an exciting opportunity to be a part of one of the fastest growing studios in Toronto and to be involved in a leading-edge pipeline based on the USD (Universal Scene Description) open source technology and SideFX Houdini’s new Solaris context (embedded USD) and tools.
Industrial Brothers is a full-service animation studio that creates and produces its own children’s content.
Driven by the imagination of its artists , led by the dedication of its producers, and inspired by the innovation of its tech team, Industrial Brothers has created brands that span across toys, TVs and interactive experiences.
In the role of Software Engineer (Pipeline TD) you will create and support a pipeline and artist tools for a series animation production. The studio environment is friendly, fast-paced, and nimble. It’s an amazing chance to be a part of building a studio from the ground up.
· Reports to the Head of Pipeline
· Research, design, develop and test custom artist-facing tools, work-flow & data-flow automation tools, and pipeline tools libraries used for animated series production
· Utilize PyQt/PySide, Shotgrid (previously called Shotgun) Python API, USD (Universal Scene Description) Python API, and custom in-house Python libraries to build and refine custom front-end and back-end software solutions unique to Industrial Brother’s animation production needs
· Some software development in C++ and related build environments, including the building of USD (Universal Scene Description) library and tools, the Maya USD plugin, and an in-house custom Asset Resolver plugin for USD. Some modifications of the mentioned packages in C++ will also be involved
· Occasionally provide technical support of custom pipeline tools to solve production issues
· Work closely with relevant stakeholders to ensure production and pipeline requirements are met when delivering custom software tools, as well as to collaboratively design effective solutions to production needs/issues
· Learn areas of knowledge and 3D animation production work-flows outside of your existing knowledge base quickly and effectively in order to accomplish assigned tasks
· Excellent communication and collaboration skills, and an aptitude for being a strong team player
· Very strong ability to diagnose issues, identify causes, and determine effective solutions to needs or problems on your own as well as collaboratively
· Strong experience (minimum 3 years) programming in the Python scripting language, along with experience working with PyQt or PySide GUI libraries
· Solid experience programming in C++ on Windows platforms (Visual C++ build environments)
· Understanding of 2D/3D computer graphics (minimum one computer graphics course) with experience working with any flavour of OpenGL (e.g. WebGL)
· Solid experience in team software development, working with the Git revision control system
· Windows operating system software development experience
· Strong software testing skills and ability to run comprehensive testing with end users
· Ability to write clear, accurate, and concise communications and documentation
· Understanding of 3D animation workflows and pipelines
· Experience using, and/or developing tools for, Autodesk Maya and/or SideFX Houdini or experience working with other 3D animation digital content creation software
· Experience with 3D rendering software (Renderman, Mentalray, Arnold, Redshift, etc.), with experience working with Redshift (or other GPU renderers) being very desirable
· Software development experience utilizing USD is very desirable
· Deadline render management software (or similar product) experience
· Software development experience using a back-end database (PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, etc.)
· Shotgrid (previously called Shotgun) and Shotgrid Python API experience
· Ability to also comfortably work in Linux environments
Ontario residency and Canadian Citizenship required.
Interested candidates to share the link their demo reels, along with their resume.
Industrial Brothers is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
All candidates MUST be a Canadian Citizen or have PR Status or have an Open Work Permit. We are not able to review applications from artist that are non Citizens/PR/Work Permit holders.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.