We are looking for an agile innovative leader who likes to work in a FUN creative environment. This newly created position will have the chance to have a meaningful impact on the building of a ground-breaking studio on multiple platforms.
The Director of Technology manages all aspects of the company’s technical operations focusing on IT and Production based Pipeline(s). Partnering with key leadership across the organization, this role will help define and tailor workflows for a wide range of content with a focus on storytelling cross platform. Leading the various technical crews this leader’s focus will be to deliver top notch technical talent, direction and day-to-day support in order to achieve the creative vision(s) of our wide variety of projects. Also critical will be maintaining and building (as needed) the company’s technical infrastructure, tools, processes, and products.
PRIMARY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Responsible for the day-to-day oversight of the IT and pipeline teams.
- Establish a yearly technical roadmap.
- Manage all resources (people/budget/schedule) to efficiently run/build the company’s technical infrastructure and production pipelines (2D/CGI) including linear real-time (unity), and interactive animation, app development and game partnerships.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders (executives and project producers) to ensure the efficient running of the studio’s technology for people and projects including ongoing prioritization.
- As a service provider, ensure the timely technical support and troubleshooting of computers and systems.
- Drive and support innovation- Research and recommend pipeline strategies and efficiencies.
- Lead team in a manner that fosters and builds trust and efficiencies between intersecting projects.
- Responsible for technical talent acquisition and development.
- Ensure all technical staff have a clear understanding of organizational needs, best practices and approaches.
- Coach and develop team members to strengthen capabilities and foster a culture of continuous improvement and innovation.
- Ensure proactive communication and healthy collaboration between all involved so that everyone is aligned and supported.
- Act as the escalation point for facilitating the timely resolution of complex technical issues.
- Fulfill all of duties in an efficient and diligent manner.
- Interact respectfully and professionally with colleagues, staff members and clients.
- Maintain the highest level of professional conduct and confidentiality.
- Maintains contacts with academia/industry to keep current on new research and competitor developments. Reads relevant journals and technical articles.
- Manage the IT department infrastructure, and resources (people/budget/schedule) to ensure alignment with the organizational goals/yearly technical roadmap.
- Plan, organize, control and evaluate IT and electronic data operations.
- Review, assess and sets best practices for data management, security and digital file management protocols.
- Oversee/ track all technical infrastructure including software licenses for projects and corporate. Ensure managed in a cost-effective manner.
Pipeline / R&D Oversight
- Partner with producers and management to recruit talent for various projects (including TA’s, TD’s, programmers).
Collaborate/support producers on project-based pipeline development. Ensure determined strategy is in alignment with a project’s needs and resources.
- Collaborate/support key leads on ongoing cross-platform workflow, tools and application development. Ensure determined strategy is in alignment with organizational needs and resources.
- Ensure that technical teams maintain accurate and detailed documentation for all coding, research and development utilizing industry best practices.
- Oversee/build/update all archiving systems for all data, digital assets, proprietary tools and applications including establishing and maintaining protocols.
- Post-secondary degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field.
- 7-10 years Leadership experience in a creative production environment - Animation/VFX/Games/App Development.
- Broad technical experience to be able to lead a wide variety of work.
- Strong leadership problem-solving skills and an uncompromising ability to work collaboratively.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - strong experience interacting with and presenting to senior executives
- Ability to successfully partner with employees across all levels of the organization.
- Experience building and managing excellent relationships with external parties and other external resources.
- Experience managing and creating budgets and project plans.
- Excellent leadership, project management, oral and written communication skills.
- Solid organizational skills and highly efficient time management. Strong capability to multitask and prioritize.
- Adaptable to change - can alter course of action quickly per project needs.
- Highly motivated, pro-active, solution-minded, solid work ethic and positive attitude.
- Excellent leadership/mentorship skills inspiring the team to work as a cohesive unit and eager to put forth their best and to grow.
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate feedback requested by cross-organizational leadership.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet organizational directives and goals.
Wind Sun Sky Entertainment is a Canadian multimedia company led by former LucasFilm executive, Catherine Winder (Invincible, The Angry Birds Movie 1 & 2, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Robert Kirkman’s Secret History of Comics). Based in Vancouver and L.A., Wind Sun Sky Entertainment (WSS) builds franchises with a focus on creator-driven content for the global marketplace, producing in all mediums including interactive, film, television (live action and animation), podcasts and mobile apps. Under the WSS umbrella is Skybound North, which provides a unique U.S. based partnership with Skybound Entertainment LA, one of the most innovative media studios in the industry. WSS has recently produced and delivered Invincible an animated 8 X 1 hr. dramatic adaptation of Robert Kirkman’s comic book for Amazon Prime. Additionally, WSS is in development on the successful Canadian mobile game My Singing Monsters, which is being adapted into television, interactive, merchandise and more. They have also created Camp Bonkers, a kids’ variety show on YouTube and Toonavision, an APP which will launch in 2021 as well as an Audibles podcast for its’ property Death By Unknown Event.