Senior Systems Engineer
Mid-City, Los Angeles Animation
Skydance offers a dynamic, inclusive, and ever-evolving culture where innovative ideas are welcomed, and growth fostered. The partnership between unique creativity and technological advancements are demonstrated within each pillar of the company. At the heart of it all is a commitment to boldly entertaining and relevant storytelling.
While all Animation studios look to hire people who are creative and hard-working, Skydance Animation is specifically looking for pioneers who seek to push the limits of what the world’s most collaborative art form can achieve, and to give those pioneers the space and the resources to build a new studio that’s doing something different.
If you’ve ever dreamt of what the early days of Hollywood must have been like, of what it takes to roll up your sleeves and break new ground, figure out a new process, and to one day say, “I was there when it all began,” then welcome aboard…
The Senior Systems Engineer at Skydance Animation is a member of the Information Technology team and will be responsible for designing, deploying, operating, and maintaining the studio’s systems architecture, which includes identity management, directory services, cloud systems, storage infrastructure, server compute, datacenters, operating systems, application infrastructure, thin clients, automation, and networking. The IT team provides a wide range of services including, Client Services, Systems Engineering, Media/AV Engineering, Networking, and Information Security.
- Develop technical “vision” for projects, translate targeted solutions into end-to-end architectural designs, set proper priority and lead implementations
- Maintain a strong understanding of studio workflows/pipeline and collaborate with Production Technology group to provide proper systems services and automation
- Design, implement and maintain the studio’s data center, server infrastructure, storage, virtualized environment, networking, and hybrid cloud environment
- Design, implement and maintain other studio services, including identity, domain, dns, alerting, monitoring, file transfer systems, code repos, media/digital asset management, syslog centralization, and many others
- Implement and maintain operating systems and standards for both servers, client machines, and/or mobile devices
- Design, implement and maintain render farm including configuration, deployment, performance and capacity monitoring, forecasting, and cloud bursting capabilities
- Design, implement and maintain a containerized environment in collaboration with the production technology team
- Identify areas of improvement and present those opportunities to technology leadership including options, cost-benefit breakdown, and integration plans
- Must proactively seek out trends, technologies, and information to keep overall studio current and aware of possible solutions to studio challenges
- Author and deliver project presentations/updates to technical/non-technical audiences that include milestones and scheduling
- Foster positive relationships with peers, supervision, stakeholders, 3rd Parties, and mentor team members
- 10+ years of experience as a Systems Engineer, or relevant experience
- Extensive experience installing and configuring Linux (CentOS/RHEL)
- Experience with Microsoft Active Directory (DFS, DNS, DHCP, GPO’s, SCCM, SCOM)
- Experience with identity management infrastructure/architecture with multi-factor authentication (Okta, Duo, etc..) with understanding of standard authentication protocols such as LDAP, Active Directory, SAML, and OAuth
- Experience with O365 engineering and integration
- Experience with administration of file sharing, file transfer infrastructure (e.g. Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, Signiant, Aspera, FTP, Filerunner, etc.)
- Experience in the design and support of Enterprise Storage infrastructure for both Block, File, and Object on-premise and cloud (e.g. Isilon, NetApp, Qumulo, SwiftStack, Pure, XtremeIO, 3Par, S3, etc.)
- Experience with NFS/SMB file protocols and how they operate in Mac, Windows, and Linux environments
- In-depth knowledge of VMWare Virtualization w/ VSphere 6.x Administration & VM Backup Technology
- Strong system monitoring expertise with Sensu, Prometheus, Xabbix, or similar
- In-depth knowledge of Networking Infrastructure, WAN Design, and Administration
- Experience or familiarity with cloud architectures and platforms such as Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure in a multi-region deployment
- Scripting knowledge (e.g. PowerShell, bash scripts, Python, Ruby, Go)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work closely and efficiently with studio teams
- Willingness to be “on-call” and work outside of regular work hours, when needed
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and to deliver them on time and with quality
- Must reside in the Greater Los Angeles Area
- Experience with automation/configuration management software (Ansible, Salt, Chef, etc.)
- VDI, Teradici, or another Thin Client technology
- Media Asset Management Infrastructure
- Experience in Visual Effects, Animation, or media and entertainment industries
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.