Mid-City, Los Angeles Animation
Skydance offers a dynamic, inclusive, and ever-evolving culture where innovative ideas are welcomed, and growth fostered. The partnership between unique creativity and technological advancements are demonstrated within each pillar of the company. At the heart of it all is a commitment to boldly entertaining and relevant storytelling.
While all Animation studios look to hire people who are creative and hard-working, Skydance Animation is specifically looking for pioneers who seek to push the limits of what the world’s most collaborative art form can achieve, and to give those pioneers the space and the resources to build a new studio that’s doing something different.
If you’ve ever dreamt of what the early days of Hollywood must have been like, of what it takes to roll up your sleeves and break new ground, figure out a new process, and to one day say, “I was there when it all began,” then welcome aboard…
The Systems Engineer at Skydance Animation is a member of the Information Technology team and will be responsible for deploying, administering, and maintaining the studio’s systems architecture which include identity management, directory services, cloud systems, storage infrastructure, server compute, datacenters, operating systems, application infrastructure, thin clients, and automation. The IT team provides a wide range of services including, Client Services, Systems Engineering, Media/AV Engineering, Network Engineering, and Information Security.
- Evolve and maintain studio’s data center, server infrastructure, virtualized environment, and hybrid cloud environment
- Evolve and maintain studio services, including identity, domain, DNS, alerting, monitoring, file transfer systems, code repos, media/digital asset management, and many others
- Evolve and maintain operating systems and standards for both servers and client machines
- Evolve and maintain storage environment including proactive evaluation and configuration of performance tiers, snapshots, caching, backup/recovery, site replication, and disaster recovery plans
- Evolve and maintain the configuration management solution for all deployed workstations, laptops, and mobile devices
- Evolve and maintain a containerized environment in collaboration with the production technology and research and development teams
- Collaborate with Production Technology to meet infrastructure needs of pipeline development and workflow changes
- Identify areas of improvement and present those opportunities to technology leadership including options, cost-benefit breakdown, and integration plans
- Keep overall studio infrastructure current and efficient by being aware of industry trends
- 5+ years as a Systems Engineer, or relevant experience
- Installing and configuring Linux (CentOS/RHEL)
- Windows Server 2012-2019, Windows 7-10) at enterprise scale
- Experience with Microsoft Active Directory (DFS, DNS, DHCP, GPO’s, SCCM, SCOM)
- Identity management infrastructure/architecture with multi-factor authentication (Okta, Duo, etc.), understanding of standard authentication protocols such as LDAP, Active Directory, SAML, and OAuth
- Experience with O365 administration and support
- Administration of file sharing, file transfer infrastructure (e.g. Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, Signiant, Aspera, FTP, Filerunner, etc.)
- Support of Enterprise Storage infrastructure i.e. File, and Object on-premise and cloud (e.g. Isilon, NetApp, Qumulo S3, etc.)
- Experience with NFS/SMB file protocols and how they operate in Mac, Windows, and Linux environments
- Knowledge of VMWare Virtualization w/ VSphere 6.x Administration & VM Backup Technology
- Network Monitoring technology i.e. Sensu, Prometheus, Xabbix, or similar
- Familiar with cloud architectures and platforms such as Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure in a multi-region deployment
- Must be a team player
- Willingness to be, “on-call” and work outside of regular work hours, when needed
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and to deliver them on time and with quality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work closely and efficiently with studio teams
- Must reside in the Greater Los Angeles Area
- Experience in the Visual Effects, Animation, or media and entertainment industries
- Scripting knowledge (e.g. Powershell, bash scripts, Python, Ruby, Go)
- Experience with automation software (Ansible, Salt, Chef, etc.)
- VDI and Thin Client technology
- Mobile Device Management (MDM)
- Content Deliver Networks (CDN)
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.