Milk is an independent visual effects company with studios in London and Cardiff. We create innovative and complex sequences for high-end television and feature films.
Good Omens reel
We are looking for someone who has a keen interest in being involved in a creative environment and to take on a high profile role where you will make a real impact on a successful, technology-driven company.
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will play an integral role in support of an independent VFX studio in the heart of London. You’ll provide expertise to develop on monitoring, scalability and reliability and partner with them to develop Service Level Objectives and Indicators. You will be working together closely with our Pipeline and Production teams as a part of Systems to help expand the business flexibly. You’ll be empowered to make technology choices and will set the standards on best practice, partnering with stakeholders across the business whilst working closely with the Head of Systems.
Our Systems team are responsible for system-level monitoring, supporting the latest in VFX software (e.g. Nuke, Maya, etc.), data management, OS configuration, render farm maintenance, and workstation and server configuration, and much more, for a large number of Linux and Windows systems. (approx. 200 workstations.)
Do you think you will enjoy working with a small team that has a passion for using future technology? Then become a part of a team that helps support each other and help us grow and create some of the best visual effects in the industry.
The Role and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response, and capacity planning.
- Work closely with the Head of Systems to streamline and simplify our London support with efficient methods.
- To achieve the company’s goals and development.
- To be implicit in providing and owning solutions in the design and architecture of the infrastructure required to deliver and sustain our support.
- To be responsible for the build and configuration of tools to enable the automated deployment, management and monitoring of our and pipeline’s services.
- Ensure our tools are capable of allowing production to be flexible in FTE and for the company to be able to expand quickly.
- Proficiency in one or more of the following: Python, or shell scripting
- Collaborative with excellent communication skills, drive, and ownership
- Experience with configuration management (Foreman and Ansible preferred)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory.
- Experience with Linux operating systems internals and networking (CentOS, RedHat preferred)
- Knowledge of AWS/GCP concepts and workflows
- Experience with distributed systems design, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Hands-on experience with debugging and optimizing code, as well as automation
- Knowledge of existing monitoring tools; e.g., Elastic Search, Logstash, Kibana, Grafana, Graphite.
- Virtualisation experience (VMware preferred).
- Working knowledge of GPFS, PixStor, etc.
- Self-motivated, flexible & reliable problem-solving skills.
- Attention to detail: can follow written procedures. You will also provide technical
documentation for supporting teams or stakeholders.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- The ability to work well in a team.
- Autonomous, resourceful, positive and calm in a production-oriented environment.
More about us
We have a lively, friendly team and working environment and are welcoming to all. We have regular hours for this role in the Systems department, there will be an implementation of a rota for a late “on-call” shift.
As a young company that is looking to grow dynamically, we have great opportunities to work on new technology and new tools that have an impact on how we move forward into the future. Eventually, we have roles that are dedicated to working towards such potential projects which include VMware, KVM, Puppet, ELK stack, Change Management (Ansible), Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes, and much more. You will be a part of shaping Milk VFX.
We have an open-minded department, and any suggestion or question is always valid amongst us as we believe in progressing everyone’s knowledge and development. Milk VFX has employees who have been here since the very beginning almost seven years ago because of the excellent working environment and the incredible work that we have produced in the past and present. It’s great mix of creative and technical people, and that makes it an engaging environment to be growing in.
To apply, please fill out an application form by clicking here.