Oscar, Bafta and Emmy award winning Visual Effects house, Framestore, is looking for a talented and focused Senior Linux OS Engineer to join our team as we work to deliver to the challenges of large scale feature film post-production.
The Senior Linux OS Engineer leads the continuous progression of Framestore’s core (RHEL based) Linux OS ecosystem; evolving how we deploy, manage, maintain, support and document this critical layer.
You will be encouraged to propose and lead projects that will advance the technology framework. This includes elements of project management, communication across departments and sites, the delegation of tasks and coordination of schedules.
- Maintain, develop and document our Linux OS, including
- Global repository management of mirrored upstream repos and internal packages.
- Managing the configuration of thousands of devices across multiple classes.
- Fast and efficient deployment to end devices (workstations, servers and VMs).
- Change/release management lifecycle and associated development and testing tools.
- Support and enable the pipeline department who layer their solutions on the Linux OS foundation.
- Liaise with stakeholders to maximise service quality and efficiency.
- Proactively identify and discover trends and innovations in technology, which are relevant; You will give advice and recommendations on their benefits whilst assisting in their adoption within the business.
- Perform detailed and/or complex manipulation and analysis of configuration data, highlighting and prioritising any issues for further investigation and preparing reports to support decision making.
- Ensure all issues and their resolutions are completed to a high standard and underlying root causes followed up and addressed.
- Actively mentor and assist in the technical development of mid and junior staff.
- Adopt and support the company’s security policy, in particular, relating to the system and data security.
The Ability to:
- Manage complex and large-scale technical solutions.
- Have an understanding of the non-functional aspects of solution delivery; performance, security and resilience.
- Work autonomously as well as part of a team.
- Have a logical approach to diagnosing and solving problems.
- Maintain professional standards at all times.
- Drive to deliver the best, setting high standards within the organisation.
- Work with business and technical staff, and act as a conduit between them.
- A desire to mentor team members and assist in their development.
- 5+ years proven experience with system administration of Linux operating systems (Centos / RHEL based) in large and complex environments.
- Experience managing Linux infrastructure and services, including deployment of complete and fully functional open source solutions, e.g, DHCP, DNS, Active directory integration.
- Enterprise use of Orchestration/Configuration Management tools (e.g. Ansible, Chef, or Puppet).
- Enterprise experience of release management including git for version control.
- Knowledge of one or more scripting languages (e.g. Bash, Ruby, Python).
- Experience managing full application stacks from the OS up through custom applications.
- Excellent organisation skills e.g. ability to prioritise and multitask, lead technical projects, and complete a project within defined timescales.
- A pragmatic approach to project delivery, training and documentation.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Autonomous, resourceful, positive and calm in a production oriented environment.
- Experience with distributed systems and TCP/IP networking.
- Familiarity with software packages like Maya, Nuke and Houdini helpful.
- Experience working in a multi-site or global setup.
- Experience with Virtualization ideally VMWare.
- Experience with server monitoring ideally Nagios.
- Experience of Cloud platforms such as AWS, Google, Azure.
RHCSA or RHCE desirable