Territory Studio – Assistant System Administrator
We’re looking for an experienced Assistant System Administrator to join our growing team.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join our highly talented, creative and friendly studio, supporting the delivery of a varied range of exciting Motion Graphics and VFX projects. These include Film productions, Games, Live action shoots, Digital content for marketing campaigns including VR and 360 videos.
Responsible for supporting the Motion GFX and VFX production pipelines with any hardware and software requirements, accompanying plugins, and the render farm, you will be part of a team working with the latest, high performance technology in a constantly evolving environment with a diverse set of workflows.
Additionally, you will need to be an all-round IT expert able to oversee the complete IT infrastructure of Motion, troubleshooting IT issues and working with our external IT support company and Production Assistant to keep the pipelines running smoothly.
Role & Responsibilities
- Working with the System Administrator, you will be the first point of contact for the departments IT related issues and support users with technical advice and guidance, trouble-shoot and solve technical issues across the IT hardware and software.
- Working with our IT support company who are responsible for the servers, backup, archive and networking.
- Day-to-day system administration, management, support and maintenance of the IT infrastructure for motion including computer hardware, telephony, application software and operating systems, primarily Apple Mac with Windows.
- Install software and plugins on workstations and track usage.
- Oversee licence servers for a variety of software.
- Ensure that the security of the IT systems, network, resources and information is set-up following best practice, maintained and tested on a regular basis in line with information security management procedures.
- Manage the relationships with external IT service providers and suppliers.
- Provision new desktops, laptops, mobile devices and other IT equipment for new employees or employees changing their roles.
- Assist in training staff and new starters on their use of the company’s IT hardware, software and telephony systems.
- Track IT assets and organise recycling or decommissioning of IT equipment as required.
- Keep up to date with emerging technology and the security threat landscape to help plan, assess, specify and introduce new IT solutions and improvements to existing systems.
- Assist with setting company policies relating to the use, management and maintenance of IT systems, and ensure these are communicated to users and enforced.
- Creating and maintaining system documentation where needed.
Technical Skills & Experience
- Experience of supporting shows within a VFX house and/or managing systems in a creative agency (preferred).
- An excellent knowledge of Apple Mac OS and Windows.
- Applications used in the studio include the following so working knowledge is beneficial but not vital: Shotgun, Cinema 4D, After Effects and Adobe's Creative Suite, Nuke, Maya and a range of plugins that go with them.
- Render farm set-up and management. Working knowledge of Deadline is beneficial but not vital, likewise with Arnold, Redshift, V-ray and Octane.
- Excellent troubleshooting and technical problem solving skills. Able to diagnose and fix hardware faults and software issues.
- A thorough understanding of networks including routing and switching.
- Strong system administration skills including the setup, configuration and monitoring of servers.
- Understand the importance of confidentiality, critical work and delivering promptly.
To succeed in the role, you should be enthusiastic, positive, highly motivated, confident, organised and enjoy dealing with a large variety of systems and workflows. You should be excited by new technologies and opportunities and ready to help develop and improve the existing processes and infrastructure. You should be proficient at communicating both problems and solutions to technical and non-technical personnel alike and will bring new processes, technologies and techniques to the studio to improve the running of the facility in the future. The role requires a character that is always calm and willing to multitask and to help sort out problems and issues as they arise daily across the organisation, being flexible with work hours. This is an essential position within the company with lots of opportunity in the role as the company continues to grow.
The facility is a world-leading motion graphics studio specialising in film and games. We believe that creative concepts across VFX, trailers and original content should capture the energy and excitement of dynamic narratives. And with a passion for bringing human depth to near future and science fiction technology, we craft stunning UI concepts that connect technology, entertainment and emotional engagement. www.territorystudio.com
The role is based in London
Salary is competitive and dependent on experience.