Celebrating over 25 years in the industry, Scanline VFX specializes in creating complex visual effects for high end, block buster feature films with studios worldwide: Vancouver, Los Angeles, Munich, and Stuttgart. Founded in Germany, the company expanded to Los Angeles in 2007 and opened the largest studio in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia in 2011. In 2015 it won the Emmy for Outstanding Visual Effects for their work on Game of Thrones. Scanline VFX has received multiple Academy Award Nominations for Best Achievement in Visual Effects: 2014 for Iron Man 3 and in 2010 for its work on director Clint Eastwoods Hereafter. We are also well known for our proprietary, in-house fluid effects software Flowline, for which it received a 2008 Scientific and Technical Achievement Academy Award.
Today, it is one of the biggest names in the industry and the go-to studio for creating epic, breathtaking cinematic moments. Current productions include: Justice League Part One, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, Power Rangers, Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur, The Promise, and several other projects to be announced soon.
Recent projects include Batman vs Superman: Independence Day Resurgence, Ben Hur, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Dawn of Justice, Game of Thrones, Furious 7, San Andreas, The 5th Wave, Point Break, Hateful 8, and In the Heart of the Sea. Past films include Exodus, The Hunger Games Mockingjay, 300: Rise of an Empire, Captain America: Winter Soldier, White House Down, Godzilla, The Wolf of Wall Street, Snowpiercer, Journey 2, Blackhat, Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, Looper, Cloud Atlas, A Good Day to Die Hard, The Amazing Spiderman, Divergent, Pompeii, Iron Man 3, Into the Storm, The Avengers, Battleship, The Invasion, Poseidon, Immortals, Super 8, 2012, Hereafter, 300, Poseidon, and The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.
Scanline VFX offers a leading edge creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant talent from around the globe. Located in the heart of downtown Vancouver, BC the studio is steps from transit, the best in the city's trendy Yaletown dining and Robson high street shopping. On site amenities include a lounge/nightclub with big screen projector tv, pool table and foosball tables, over-sized patios and rooftop deck kitchen & BBQ areas, secure bicycle storage, massage chairs, showers and lockers. Experience fun team events, parties, sporting activities, local business discounts and much more.
Seeking a challenge where you will do the best work of your career?
"FOLLOW" us on linkedin for job board updates.
SCANLINE VFX VANCOUVER LINKEDIN
The Systems Developer reports to the Head of IT for our Vancouver and Los Angeles studio locations. This role requires work on a wide range of software for high distributed performance computing and infrastructure services for local and remote studios.Additional responsibilities include technical design, planning, and implementation of new systems, recommending the redesign and configuration of existing systems and system applications, and identifying methods, solutions, and project leadership and management in order to provide a high level of service to the customers of the department.
- Research, design, implement, test and maintain software to enhance distributed, high performance and traditional computing systems infrastructures across multiple platforms.
- Write documentation for new and existing systems software
- Provide multi-tier solutions for custom in-house software systems
- Work closely with all departments to address organizational needs
- Provide organization-wide high level technical support
- A bachelor’s degree in a computer information systems, computer science, engineering, physics or mathematics
- 5+ years experience in software development, systems engineering or systems administration
- Visual effects industry, gaming industry, software entertainment industry (preferred)
- Team player with ability to work individuality.
- Ability to deliver milestones/tasks under tight deadlines.
- Python (pls be prepared to present code samples)
- C++ (pls be prepared to present code samples)
- Systems Scripting: Bash, Powershell
- version control systems; e.g. git or svn
- relational databases; e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Advanced network application development experience
- Network filesystems
- Cross-platform libraries; e.g. Qt/PyQt/Boost/Poco
- Windows API
- LDAP/Active Directory
- HTML5, CSS, JAVA SCRIPT
- high performance computing
- cloud and virtualization technologies
- high availability - hardware and software clustering
- statistical + data analytics
- network and software security
HOW TO MAKE YOUR APPLICATION STAND OUT
- APPLY ONLY ONCE.
We keep your resume on file for 6 months so no need to apply again unless there are significant changes or unless you're applying for a different position.
- ALWAYS APPLY WITH THE SAME EMAIL
We want to be able to reach you easily and much of our correspondence is via email and this helps us keep your information together in one file. That way you're not lost in the system.
- Resume - Include in your resume the names of the company's you worked with and the dates you were there. Max 2 pages.
- Cover Letter - tell us a little about yourself and what makes you the ideal candidate.