Celebrating over 25 years in the industry, Scanline VFX specializes in creating complex visual effects for high end, block buster feature films with studios worldwide: Vancouver, Los Angeles, Munich, and Stuttgart. Founded in Germany, the company expanded to Los Angeles in 2007 and opened the largest studio in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia in 2011. In 2015 it won the Emmy for Outstanding Visual Effects for their work on Game of Thrones. Scanline VFX has received multiple Academy Award Nominations for Best Achievement in Visual Effects: 2014 for Iron Man 3 and in 2010 for its work on director Clint Eastwoods Hereafter. We are also well known for our proprietary, in-house fluid effects software Flowline, for which it received a 2008 Scientific and Technical Achievement Academy Award.
Today, it is one of the biggest names in the industry and the go-to studio for creating epic, breathtaking cinematic moments. Current productions include: Justice League Part One, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, Power Rangers, Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur, The Promise, and several other projects to be announced soon.
Recent projects include Batman vs Superman: Independence Day Resurgence, Ben Hur, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Dawn of Justice, Game of Thrones, Furious 7, San Andreas, The 5th Wave, Point Break, Hateful 8, and In the Heart of the Sea. Past films include Exodus, The Hunger Games Mockingjay, 300: Rise of an Empire, Captain America: Winter Soldier, White House Down, Godzilla, The Wolf of Wall Street, Snowpiercer, Journey 2, Blackhat, Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, Looper, Cloud Atlas, A Good Day to Die Hard, The Amazing Spiderman, Divergent, Pompeii, Iron Man 3, Into the Storm, The Avengers, Battleship, The Invasion, Poseidon, Immortals, Super 8, 2012, Hereafter, 300, Poseidon, and The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.
Scanline VFX offers a leading edge creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant talent from around the globe. Located in the heart of downtown Vancouver, BC the studio is steps from transit, the best in the city's trendy Yaletown dining and Robson high street shopping. On site amenities include a lounge/nightclub with big screen projector tv, pool table and foosball tables, over-sized patios and rooftop deck kitchen & BBQ areas, secure bicycle storage, massage chairs, showers and lockers. Experience fun team events, parties, sporting activities, local business discounts and much more.
Seeking a challenge where you will do the best work of your career?
"FOLLOW" us on linkedin for job board updates.
SCANLINE VFX VANCOUVER LINKEDIN
RENDER WRANGLER/JR SYSTEM ADMIN (ENTRY LEVEL)
Scanline VFX Vancouver is looking for a render wrangler/junior systems administrator to join our team. Render wranglers work closely with system engineers, pipeline developers and production staff in order to effectively support our rendering infrastructure. As a Systems Administrator, you will work under the guidance of the IT Manager to ensure basic help desk and IT support is being provided to 300+ employees.
- Monitor, troubleshoot and optimize network rendering resources
- Monitor and report resource utilization such as disk space, node usage, job saturation, etc.
- Identify and diagnose failing renders and malfunctioning render machines
- Monitor the render queue to maximize resource efficiency and handle job priorities
- Maintain maximum farm uptime
- Respond to rendering related support requests
- Work with other Systems Engineer to address daily support tickets
- Set-up employee workstations, monitors, IP phones, etc
- Create user accounts for new hires: e-mail, messenger, phone
- Identify and resolve problems in the production system quickly and completely
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Degree/Diploma in Computer Science, Engineering or other technical field (NOT MANDITORY, BUT PREF)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to adapt to a high pressure, fast-paced, dynamic environment with shifting priorities.
- Experience troubleshooting in a Windows environment
- Working understanding of art packages with; 3DS Max, Maya and Nuke a plus
- knowledge of at least one of the relevant 3D packages (eg. Maya, XSI or 3D Studio Max) currently in use by the VFX industry;
- ability to learn new software quickly, and learn on the job;
- enthusiasm to learn and develop professionally;
- ability to analyze and problem solve;
- ability to manage and prioritize time and workload;
- ability to work under pressure;
- experience administrating multiple operating systems, including Windows (XP, Win7), Mac OS and linux (Centos, Opensuse,Ubuntu)
- familiarity with networking and distributed computing, including network file systems, routing and subnetting.
- experience in scripting is desirable but not essential;
- flexibility in work hours.
- ability to lift heavy equipment for installation and relocation tasks
- outstanding organizational skills and the ability to multitask
- ability to take direction positively, work well within a team and thrive under the pressure of tight deadlines
HOW TO MAKE YOUR APPLICATION STAND OUT
- APPLY ONLY ONCE.
We keep your resume on file for 6 months so no need to apply again unless there are significant changes or unless you're applying for a different position.
- ALWAYS APPLY WITH THE SAME EMAIL
We want to be able to reach you easily and much of our correspondence is via email and this helps us keep your information together in one file. That way you're not lost in the system.
- Resume - Include in your resume the names of the company's you worked with and the dates you were there. Max 2 pages.
- Cover Letter - tell us a little about yourself and what makes you the ideal candidate.