Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Re-purposing a nine-node Isis 5500 system
posted by Doug Shannon  on May 11, 2020, 6:39 a.m. (18 days ago)
1 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

We have a nine-node Isis 5500 system that is coming off support in October and being replaced by another shared edit storage system.

Does anyone have any thoughts about repurposing the off-support 5500? I'd like to put clustered single-namespace file system across it, and had a look at Tiger Technologies but didn't find their technical support up to much. That may just have been bad luck. Ideally, I'd like to put something across it that would allow manageable access via SMB to non-realtime clients.

I could obviously keep running it as an unsupported Isis, and by October I'll probably have replaced every one of the original 144 drives, its main support call driver, but that's another story...

Interested in any thoughts.

Thread Tags:
  storage 

Response from Andrew Proude @ May 13, 2020, 12:34 a.m.

You could turn them into iscsi targets - add the iscsi feature to windows server, assign an IP add connect them to a 'storage' vlan. You would then need another server to use as the file share, with the ISIS chassis' iscsi targets added to it.

Use Windows Storage Spaces on your file server to setup a pool of disks (your ISCSI ISIS :) and volumes, use ReFS (not NTFS).

One downside to the ISIS is power consupmtion & density - keep in mind a 12 bay Synology with 16TB drives is 192TB raw in 2RU!

0 Plus One's     0 Comments