Sponsors
Sponsor Products
10-bit Display on Linux with GeForce cards
posted by Mike Rochefort  on Oct. 31, 2018, 11:30 p.m. (15 days ago)
2 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Has anyone been able to successfully get 10-bit color working on Linux when using a GeForce card? I know on Windows that windowed OpenGL applications are unsupported, but I could have sworn that limitation didn't exist for Linux. So far with a 1070 plugged into 10-bit capable BenQ monitor (8-bit + FRC) over DisplayPort I'm giving CentOS a brain hemorrhage to say the least. Enabling by modifying the XOrg config's Depth parameters.

Wondering if anybody else has done this successfully (even with Quadro's). My main reasoning is for single monitor configurations. I realize dedicated output cards with a second display is probably the norm.

Cheers,
Mike

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Mike Rochefort @ Nov. 1, 2018, 9 a.m.

Yup, been to that page. What I found interesting is that in the past Ive been to a similar page that didnt specifically say Quadro in the beginning and did mention GeForce cards as being capable, but I can no longer find it. And by past I mean September. The linked page I had never seen prior in all my searching until a few days ago. So they either replaced it or edited it, but the time stamp feels weird to me. 
What I also dont understand is theres a thread in the devtalk forum of users getting 10-bit working with consumer hardware. Maybe this is a dead end but I was just curious to see if any of the experts here had given it a go. 
Cheers,Mike

---- On Thu, 01 Nov 2018 02:19:49 -0400 Ben De Luca<bdeluca@gmail.com> wrote ----
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3050/kw/10%20bit/related/1

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 at 04:29, Michael Rochefort <mike@michaelrochefort.com> wrote:
Has anyone been able to successfully get 10-bit color working on Linux when using a GeForce card? I know on Windows that windowed OpenGL applications are unsupported, but I could have sworn that limitation didn't exist for Linux. So far with a 1070 plugged into 10-bit capable BenQ monitor (8-bit + FRC) over DisplayPort I'm giving CentOS a brain hemorrhage to say the least. Enabling by modifying the XOrg config's Depth parameters.

Wondering if anybody else has done this successfully (even with Quadro's). My main reasoning is for single monitor configurations. I realize dedicated output cards with a second display is probably the norm.

Cheers,
Mike

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Ben De Luca @ Nov. 1, 2018, 2:25 a.m.
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3050/kw/10%20bit/related/1

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 at 04:29, Michael Rochefort <mike@michaelrochefort.com> wrote:

Cheers,
Mike

0 Plus One's     0 Comments