Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Using Vray for Maya 2018 as a Module
posted by Mike Moss  on April 9, 2018, 7:25 p.m. (4 months, 6 days ago)
7 Responses     1 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Hello,

I've contacted Chaos Group twice about this and they have not given me a response yet, so im hoping someone here might have an idea.

We are running Maya 2018.2 in our studio with V-Ray 3.6.03 as a local install on each machine (Windows 7 Pro). Id like to move away from that and have V-ray load from the network.

I've gone through the steps described here: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAYA/Installation+of+V-Ray+for+Maya+from+a+.zip+File

and that does in fact work just fine. But instead of a bunch of a variables that i need to set in GPO, id rather utilize Maya Module files as much as possible.

We currently have a single module file that loads 3 other plugins: Redshift, SOuP and Ornatrix, without issue. I have started to dig through and managed to get V-ray to sucessfully load by appending the same module file. Everything seems to work. Vray loads, icons, plugins, tools, creation, all is good...

...Except...

...When you go to render the frame - it crashes.

// Error: V-Ray : ERROR: Could not create plugin SettingsRTEngine ! //
// Error: V-Ray : ERROR: Could not create plugin SettingsRenderChannels ! //
// Error: V-Ray : ERROR: Could not create plugin SettingsOutput ! //
// Error: V-Ray : ERROR: Could not create plugin SettingsOptions ! //
// Error: V-Ray : ERROR: Could not create plugin SettingsImageSampler ! //
// Error: V-Ray : ERROR: Could not create plugin FilterLanczos ! //
// Error: V-Ray : There was a fatal error building the scene for V-Ray. //

I have more info that i can share, regarding the env variables that are being used right now, how my module file is built, etc. But i figure i would keep it somewhat streamlined to start to see if i got any bites.

Thanks!
Mike

Thread Tags:
  variable maya vray module 

Response from Jimmy Christensen @ April 10, 2018, 10:35 a.m.
Forgot to ask wether or not this was for rendering RT or bucket rendering?
On 10 April 2018 at 16:07, Jimmy Christensen <lithorus@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
As far as I remember you have to add theLD_LIBRARY_PATH (PATH Windows equivalent?) before launching maya. Could you share the whole (or ateast all the errors) from the log?
We have it working as a module on the network but we have to add above mentioned variable before launching maya and it cannot reside in the module file (which is parsed by maya).
- Jimmy
On 10 April 2018 at 01:25, Mike Moss <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hello,

I've contacted Chaos Group twice about this and they have not given me a response yet, so im hoping someone here might have an idea.

We are running Maya 2018.2 in our studio with V-Ray 3.6.03 as a local install on each machine (Windows 7 Pro). Id like to move away from that and have V-ray load from the network.

I've gone through the steps described here:https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAYA/Installation+of+V-Ray+for+Maya+from+a+.zip+File

and that does in fact work just fine. But instead of a bunch of a variables that i need to set in GPO, id rather utilize Maya Module files as much as possible.

We currently have a single module file that loads 3 other plugins: Redshift, SOuP and Ornatrix, without issue. I have started to dig through and managed to get V-ray to sucessfully load by appending the same module file. Everything seems to work. Vray loads, icons, plugins, tools, creation, all is good...

...Except...

I have more info that i can share, regarding the env variables that are being used right now, how my module file is built, etc. But i figure i would keep it somewhat streamlined to start to see if i got any bites.

Thanks!
Mike

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

1 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Mike Moss @ April 12, 2018, 6:15 p.m.

Hi,

I was actually searching for them, but did not find them. - I did find some xml files that looked like what you were referring to. BUUUUUUT...i finally figured it out. Didnt actually have to modify any of the xml's etc. It was simple user error. Between all my rounds of testing, and configuration changes, i had a simple path pointed to the wrong spot (because it was being over written by my GPO). Issue resolved and V-ray now loads from a module file....Finally! :)

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Jimmy Christensen @ April 12, 2018, 4:45 p.m.
Did you find the .ini files I mentioned with the variables which needed to be replaced?
- Jimmy
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018, 22:21 Mike Moss, <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hi,

Yes. I am using the .zip method. Well, actually, ive been experimenting with two.

1. The standard .zip method (while still trying to invoke Modules, rather than just env. variables)

2. I did local install of Vray, then copied the entire Vray dir to a network place, and use modules/variables that way. I tried this method, because all our other module plugins all have a standard dir structure. The .zip method, breaks everything into 3 sub dir's -

maya_root

maya_vray

vray

Some of these have other duplicate sub dir's with different contents - like maya_root and maya_vray both have bin dir's each contain different items.

Then deleted the local install after retreiving the folder contents

So, if we focus on just one of my methods - the .zip method, here is my set up so far...

Windows Env Variables in use:

MAYA_MODULE_PATH = C:\USERS\MIKE\DESKTOP\MODULES(This is just a testing location, once its ready for real world use, this path will change)

MAYA_RENDER_DESC_PATH=R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_root\bin\rendererDesc

VRAY_FOR_MAYA2018_MAIN_x64=R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_vray

VRAY_FOR_MAYA2018_PLUGINS_x64=R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_vray\vrayplugins

My Maya Module file, located in above path (C:\USERS\MIKE\DESKTOP\MODULES)

+ MAYAVERSION:2018 V-Ray any R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_vray
plug-ins: R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_vray\plug-ins
icons: R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_vray\icons
scripts: R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_vray\scripts
PYTHONPATH: R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_vray\scripts
PATH +:= bin

The V-ray network location of files hasnt been changed with standard contents in each of the 3 main directories...

maya_root

maya_vray

vray

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Mike Moss @ April 12, 2018, 4:21 p.m.

Hi,

Yes. I am using the .zip method. Well, actually, ive been experimenting with two.

1. The standard .zip method (while still trying to invoke Modules, rather than just env. variables)

2. I did local install of Vray, then copied the entire Vray dir to a network place, and use modules/variables that way. I tried this method, because all our other module plugins all have a standard dir structure. The .zip method, breaks everything into 3 sub dir's - 

maya_root

maya_vray

vray

Some of these have other duplicate sub dir's with different contents - like maya_root and maya_vray both have bin dir's each contain different items. 

Then deleted the local install after retreiving the folder contents

So, if we focus on just one of my methods - the .zip method, here is my set up so far...

Windows Env Variables in use:

MAYA_MODULE_PATH = C:\USERS\MIKE\DESKTOP\MODULES(This is just a testing location, once its ready for real world use, this path will change)

MAYA_RENDER_DESC_PATH=R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_root\bin\rendererDesc

VRAY_FOR_MAYA2018_MAIN_x64=R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_vray

VRAY_FOR_MAYA2018_PLUGINS_x64=R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_vray\vrayplugins

My Maya Module file, located in above path (C:\USERS\MIKE\DESKTOP\MODULES)

+ MAYAVERSION:2018 V-Ray any R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_vray
plug-ins: R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_vray\plug-ins
icons: R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_vray\icons
scripts: R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_vray\scripts
PYTHONPATH: R:\Pipeline\packages\V-Ray\36003\maya_vray\scripts
PATH +:= bin

The V-ray network location of files hasnt been changed with standard contents in each of the 3 main directories...

maya_root

maya_vray

vray

Response from Jimmy Christensen @ April 12, 2018, 1:30 a.m.
I assume that for the local install you used the normal installer and for the network install you used the "zip" installer? If so also look into the .ini files in the installation which should have paths refering to [STDROOT] and [PLUGINS] which I replace with absolute paths.
To be honest it's been a while since I fiddled with Windows as a part of our pipeline and have no real experience with network installs of vray on Windows, only on Linux. The V-Ray setup might be a little different on Windows.
If you are able to share more about your setup it migt also help.
- Jimmy
On 11 April 2018 at 00:14, Mike Moss <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the response. I assume you mean this (snippet from the link i included in the original message):

Add paths to path variables based on the OS:

• On Linux, add to theLD_LIBRARY_PATHenvironment variable the path to thevray_builds/my_version/maya_root/libfolder.
  • On Windows, add to thePATHenvironment variable the path to thevray_builds/my_version/maya_root/binfolder.

• On OSX, add to theDYLD_LIBRARY_PATHenvironment variable the path to thevray_builds/my_version/maya_root/Maya.app/Contents/MacOSfolder.

The second bullet point there (since im running windows), is already added to my System Path.

R:\Pipeline\packages\V-RayTEST\36003\bin

Here is the full log when loading V-Ray...

// Initializing V-Ray for Maya
//
// Error: VRay for Maya: Cannot load all 3rd party volume libraries! //
evalDeferred "shaderBallRendererMenuUpdate";
// Warning: file: R:\Pipeline\packages\V-RayTEST\36003\scripts\vrayInit.mel line 153: string $g_vrayImgExt[];
//
// Warning: file: R:\Pipeline\packages\V-RayTEST\36003\scripts\vrayInit.mel line 153: "R:/Pipeline/packages/V-RayTEST/36003/scripts/vrayCreateCommonGlobalsTab.mel" line 458.23 : Redeclaration of variable "$g_vrayImgExt" shadows previous declaration at line 538. Previous value will be retained. //
updateRenderOverride;
updateRendererUI;
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/createMayaSoftwareCommonGlobalsTab.mel line 36: setParent: Object 'commonTabColumn' not found. //
// Error: V-Ray : ERROR: Could not create plugin SettingsRe nderChannels ! //

Ill keep working on this and post more as i go. Thanks!

Response from Mike Moss @ April 10, 2018, 6:14 p.m.

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the response. I assume you mean this (snippet from the link i included in the original message):

Add paths to path variables based on the OS:

• On Linux, add to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable the path to the vray_builds/my_version/maya_root/lib folder.
  • On Windows, add to the PATH environment variable the path to the vray_builds/my_version/maya_root/bin folder.

• On OSX, add to the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable the path to the vray_builds/my_version/maya_root/Maya.app/Contents/MacOS folder.

The second bullet point there (since im running windows), is already added to my System Path. 

R:\Pipeline\packages\V-RayTEST\36003\bin

Here is the full log when loading V-Ray...

// Initializing V-Ray for Maya
// 
// Error: VRay for Maya: Cannot load all 3rd party volume libraries! // 
evalDeferred "shaderBallRendererMenuUpdate";
// Warning: file: R:\Pipeline\packages\V-RayTEST\36003\scripts\vrayInit.mel line 153: string $g_vrayImgExt[];
// 
// Warning: file: R:\Pipeline\packages\V-RayTEST\36003\scripts\vrayInit.mel line 153: "R:/Pipeline/packages/V-RayTEST/36003/scripts/vrayCreateCommonGlobalsTab.mel" line 458.23 : Redeclaration of variable "$g_vrayImgExt" shadows previous declaration at line 538. Previous value will be retained. // 
updateRenderOverride;
updateRendererUI;
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/createMayaSoftwareCommonGlobalsTab.mel line 36: setParent: Object 'commonTabColumn' not found. // 

Ill keep working on this and post more as i go. Thanks!

Response from Jimmy Christensen @ April 10, 2018, 10:10 a.m.
Hi,
As far as I remember you have to add theLD_LIBRARY_PATH (PATH Windows equivalent?) before launching maya. Could you share the whole (or ateast all the errors) from the log?
We have it working as a module on the network but we have to add above mentioned variable before launching maya and it cannot reside in the module file (which is parsed by maya).
- Jimmy
On 10 April 2018 at 01:25, Mike Moss <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hello,

I've gone through the steps described here:https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAYA/Installation+of+V-Ray+for+Maya+from+a+.zip+File

...Except...

Thanks!
Mike