Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Any other Winnipeg admins?
posted by James Paskaruk  on April 2, 2018, 1:34 p.m. (6 months, 19 days ago)
5 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Hey All,

Just discovered this site. Any other Winnipeg folks on the site? I feel sad being unable to periodically drink beer with other members due to geography.

Thread Tags:
  fun 

Response from Greg Whynott @ April 22, 2018, 1:35 a.m.
-52C? I can't even begin to think what that would feel like. Montreal winters must feel like a joke to you. ;)
-g

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 6:14 PM, Shawn Wallbridge <swallbridge@gmail.com> wrote:
So you are saying it was a nice warm day ;)
I was born and grew up there, so the cold was just normal. I tell people here (in Montreal) that it wasn't that unusual to get warnings on the TV in the morning that exposed skin freezes in under 2 minutes. The coldest I remeber was -52C (with wind chill).
The 7 minute commute and very affordable housing was kind of nice.
Shawn

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 5:19 PM greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been there once, for a moon light weekend contract when I was working with SGI/A|W. The plane landed and we had to walk across the tarmac to the terminal (no gangway!). It was -25C (-13F) and the wind was blowing hard, whipping the snow up. It reminded me of being in northNunavut. If I recall it was only September or so.
I thought to myself "they must pay skilled people a lot to come here".... it was so secluded looking with those miles of flat fields stretching to the horizon in every direction.. looks like a city plopped in the middle of no where for no reason. (Reason was a rail hub if I remember correctly, way back when).
Nice people there, but way to cold for me. :)
greg

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 2:55 PM, Shawn Wallbridge <swallbridge@gmail.com> wrote:
Ex-Winnipeg guy here.
Where are you at James? I didn't realize anyone was left in Winnipeg.
shawn

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 1:50 PM greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
Do they pay sysadmins well in Winnipeg? Seems like such a remote place to work. The winters are BRUTAL. ;)-g

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 1:34 PM, James Paskaruk <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hey All,

Just discovered this site. Any other Winnipeg folks on the site? I feel sad being unable to periodically drink beer with other members due to geography.

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Shawn Wallbridge @ April 19, 2018, 6:15 p.m.
So you are saying it was a nice warm day ;)
I was born and grew up there, so the cold was just normal. I tell people here (in Montreal) that it wasn't that unusual to get warnings on the TV in the morning that exposed skin freezes in under 2 minutes. The coldest I remeber was -52C (with wind chill).
The 7 minute commute and very affordable housing was kind of nice.
Shawn
On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 5:19 PM greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been there once, for a moon light weekend contract when I was working with SGI/A|W. The plane landed and we had to walk across the tarmac to the terminal (no gangway!). It was -25C (-13F) and the wind was blowing hard, whipping the snow up. It reminded me of being in northNunavut. If I recall it was only September or so.
I thought to myself "they must pay skilled people a lot to come here".... it was so secluded looking with those miles of flat fields stretching to the horizon in every direction.. looks like a city plopped in the middle of no where for no reason. (Reason was a rail hub if I remember correctly, way back when).
greg

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 2:55 PM, Shawn Wallbridge <swallbridge@gmail.com> wrote:
Ex-Winnipeg guy here.
shawn

Do they pay sysadmins well in Winnipeg? Seems like such a remote place to work. The winters are BRUTAL. ;)-g

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 1:34 PM, James Paskaruk <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hey All,

Response from Greg Whynott @ April 19, 2018, 5:20 p.m.
greg

Ex-Winnipeg guy here.
shawn

Hey All,

Response from Shawn Wallbridge @ April 19, 2018, 3 p.m.
Ex-Winnipeg guy here.
shawn

Hey All,

Response from Greg Whynott @ April 19, 2018, 1:55 p.m.

Hey All,