Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Network mapping software recommendation
posted by Bill Heiden  on Jan. 31, 2018, 7:55 p.m. (10 months, 18 days ago)
5 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Hi all,

Need some recommendations for software that will produce a good network map.  I'd rather purchase a solution than try to get a piece of freeware to work.  Having decent support is also a plus.  I'm platform agnostic, even though the majority of machines are linux.  SolarWinds looks good so far.   Thanks in advance.

Bill

Thread Tags:
  network software mapping diagrams linux 

Response from Michael Oliver @ Feb. 2, 2018, 10 p.m.
For automated AWS check out cloudcrafthttps://cloudcraft.co/
Lucidchart also has a smart AWS import and a pretty decent platform for all sorts of flowcharts and diagrams.

Michael Oliver
mcoliver@gmail.com
On Feb 2, 2018 5:07 PM, "Zorion Terrell" <Zorion.Terrell@dhxmedia.com> wrote:

And you can download all the templates for all the devices and actually show real ports!!

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

e: zorion.terrell@dhxmedia.com

t: 604-684-2363 | m: 604-562-5148

380 West 5th Ave

Vancouver, BC Canada V5Y 1J5

Email Signature_DHX_Media

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of greg whynott
Sent: February 1, 2018 10:12 AM
To: studiosysadmins-discuss <studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com>
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] Network mapping software recommendation

Visio and a junior assistant. ;)

The automatic solutions I've tried always seemed to need tweaking and futzing around before something semi useful came of them. and the results were usually not that great. Guess the answer really depends on how large the network is you wish to map... Is it 5 VLANS at the office or 140 networks between 8 locations and 3 partners with cloud presence?

If I were working at a large enterprise, ISP or government, I'd consider automated solutions but I think its safe to say for the majority of studios automation is just a time/money sink for the amount of times it'l be referenced/useful. but I could be wrong..

besides, Visio is fun to play with. ;)

greg

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 8:21 AM, Guy Madore <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hello Bill,

Check at this one too.

https://www.netbraintech.com/

Thanks.

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Zorion Terrell @ Feb. 2, 2018, 8:10 p.m.

And you can download all the templates for all the devices and actually show real ports!!

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

e: zorion.terrell@dhxmedia.com

t: 604-684-2363 | m: 604-562-5148

380 West 5th Ave

Vancouver, BC Canada V5Y 1J5

Email Signature_DHX_Media

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of greg whynott
Sent: February 1, 2018 10:12 AM
To: studiosysadmins-discuss <studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com>
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] Network mapping software recommendation

Visio and a junior assistant.  ;)

The automatic solutions I've tried always seemed to need tweaking and futzing around before something semi useful came of them.  and the results were usually not that great. Guess the answer really depends on how large the network is you wish to map... Is it 5 VLANS at the office or 140 networks between 8 locations and 3 partners with cloud presence?     

If I were working at a large enterprise,  ISP or government,  I'd consider automated solutions but I think its safe to say for the majority of studios automation is just a time/money sink for the amount of times it'l be referenced/useful.   but I could be wrong..

besides,  Visio is fun to play with.  ;)

greg

Hello Bill,

Check at this one too.

Thanks.

Response from Greg Whynott @ Feb. 1, 2018, 1:15 p.m.
Visio and a junior assistant. ;)
The automatic solutions I've tried always seemed to need tweaking and futzing around before something semi useful came of them. and the results were usually not that great. Guess the answer really depends on how large the network is you wish to map... Is it 5 VLANS at the office or 140 networks between 8 locations and 3 partners with cloud presence?
If I were working at a large enterprise, ISP or government, I'd consider automated solutions but I think its safe to say for the majority of studios automation is just a time/money sink for the amount of times it'l be referenced/useful. but I could be wrong..

besides, Visio is fun to play with. ;)
greg

Hello Bill,

Check at this one too.

Thanks.

Response from Guy Madore @ Feb. 1, 2018, 8:21 a.m.

Hello Bill,

Check at this one too.

Thanks.

Response from Saker Klippsten @ Jan. 31, 2018, 8:50 p.m.
Check outhttps://www.auvik.com/

-S

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 4:55 PM, Bill Heiden <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Need some recommendations for software that will produce a good network map. I'd rather purchase a solution than try to get a piece of freeware to work. Having decent support is also a plus. I'm platform agnostic, even though the majority of machines are linux. SolarWinds looks good so far. Thanks in advance.

Bill