Sponsors
Sponsor Products
RV - video starts playing super fast and no audio
posted by Greg Whynott  on Dec. 5, 2017, 4:25 p.m. (12 days ago)
8 Responses     0 Plus One's     2 Comments  

We are seeing periodically instances where media being played back in RV from a playlist will start playing at fast forward speeds and without audio on its own.
I've been told that while this is happening, changing the audio rate preferences, mute / un mute or anything will fix the issue.

Anyone having or heard of similar issues?

CentOS 7.2 and 3, with pulseaudio, RV 7.2.1.

danke!-greg

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Greg Whynott @ Dec. 13, 2017, 2:30 p.m.
Chris, et.al,

Adding:

load-module module-udev-detectfixed_latency_range=1

appears to have fixed this for us, thanks!

Oddly we tried this previously, but there were other options on the line (sampling) during that effort. Looks like it alone without any other arguments is the trick. May be premature but it has been 3 business days without a single instance.

marked as SOLVED!

-g

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 11:24 AM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for that Chris.

I was reminded I asked this same question back in 2014... http://www.studiosysadmins.com/board/threadview/5047/

Only in linux do driver/api problems linger for years, and the Photoshop one. ;)

greg

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Chris Banal <cbanal@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Guys,
We had this problem when we switched to CentOS 7 and one of the other guys in the team worked out the following edit to the /etc/pulse/default.pa file fixed the problem for us.
#load-module module-udev-detectload-module module-udev-detectfixed_latency_range=1

Thank you.
On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 7:41 AM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Samuel,If you have time could you send me that link or thread? We are still dealing with this. Did you switch pulse on centos 7? Is ALSA working for you?Thank you,greg
On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:36 AM, Samuel Nair <samuelnair@gmail.com> wrote:
I had a long thread on the shotgun-dev mailing list about my frustrations with RV and pulseaudio. We ended up ditching pulseaudio for animator machines and switching to as alsa dmix setup. It was hacky but worked well. If you need, i can forward you that mail thread.
On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Will Fife <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

There is a bug with regards to RV & pulseaudio. Audio playback will speed up tremendously, and video playback speed is linked to audio playback speed. The audio portion of it can be replicated by playing certain audio files directly in audacity. This is a long standing issue, and the pulseaudio folks consider it a client side bug.

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Greg Whynott @ Dec. 11, 2017, 11:25 a.m.
Thanks for that Chris.

I was reminded I asked this same question back in 2014... http://www.studiosysadmins.com/board/threadview/5047/

Only in linux do driver/api problems linger for years, and the Photoshop one. ;)

greg

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Chris Banal <cbanal@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Guys,
We had this problem when we switched to CentOS 7 and one of the other guys in the team worked out the following edit to the /etc/pulse/default.pa file fixed the problem for us.
#load-module module-udev-detectload-module module-udev-detectfixed_latency_range=1

Thank you.
Hi Samuel,If you have time could you send me that link or thread? We are still dealing with this. Did you switch pulse on centos 7? Is ALSA working for you?Thank you,greg
I had a long thread on the shotgun-dev mailing list about my frustrations with RV and pulseaudio. We ended up ditching pulseaudio for animator machines and switching to as alsa dmix setup. It was hacky but worked well. If you need, i can forward you that mail thread.

There is a bug with regards to RV & pulseaudio. Audio playback will speed up tremendously, and video playback speed is linked to audio playback speed. The audio portion of it can be replicated by playing certain audio files directly in audacity. This is a long standing issue, and the pulseaudio folks consider it a client side bug.

Response from Chris Banal @ Dec. 8, 2017, 12:05 p.m.
Hey Guys,

Thank you.

Response from Greg Whynott @ Dec. 7, 2017, 10:45 a.m.

0 Plus One's     1 Comments  

Response from Greg Whynott @ Dec. 6, 2017, 1:15 p.m.
Hi, thanks Will for sharing your experience. Samuel as well and please do forward me that thread, I'd like to read it before I reply to the ticket I have open with them.
They claimed Disney had the same issue as I'm dealing with and they addressed it with the below:
In file /etc/pulse/default.pa
add:
load-module module-alsa-card device_id=PCH format=s16le rate=48000 fragments=2 fixed_latency_range=1
This is from the user manual so I'm assuming both of you have tried this already?  (section:  K.1 Suggestions for resolving audio static issues with PulseAudio for Linux)
Apparently the trigger is high memory usage.  It is more likely to happen if you have a few instances of maya or similar open.

We upgraded the studio from SL 6.4 to Cent 7.2 a few months back and the consensus from the floor is "this didn't happen on 6.4".  The initial response from support was it is a Pulse on CentOS 7 problem,  is this the platform both of you are using?

-greg

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 7:06 AM, Jason Scott <jason_scott@siggraph.org> wrote:
Hey Sam (sam!!), I'll take the thread. We have the problem occasionally as well, although a reboot usually solves it, but it's definitely irritating.

Jason Scott

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Samuel Nair <samuelnair@gmail.com> wrote:

0 Plus One's     1 Comments  

Response from Jason Scott @ Dec. 6, 2017, 7:10 a.m.
Hey Sam (sam!!), I'll take the thread. We have the problem occasionally as well, although a reboot usually solves it, but it's definitely irritating.

Jason Scott
On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Samuel Nair <samuelnair@gmail.com> wrote:

Response from Samuel Nair @ Dec. 6, 2017, 2:40 a.m.

Response from Will Fife @ Dec. 6, 2017, 1:45 a.m.

There is a bug with regards to RV & pulseaudio.  Audio playback will speed up tremendously, and video playback speed is linked to audio playback speed.  The audio portion of it can be replicated by playing certain audio files directly in audacity.  This is a long standing issue, and the pulseaudio folks consider it a client side bug.