Sponsors
Sponsor Products
High Sierra backwards-compatibility with new iMacs
posted by Mark Chernausek  on Nov. 20, 2017, 4:53 p.m. (27 days ago)
3 Responses     1 Plus One's     1 Comments  

We had some new iMacs arrive this week that ship with High Sierra (10.13.1). Our pool of Macs is on Sierra 10.12.5 with an XSAN environment. For High Sierra I believe I'd have to upgrade to XSAN 5.0.1. Does anyone have methods for downgrading these new Macs to Sierra? I've tried deploying our workstation image to the new hardware and I just get a circle with a slash through it, same with a Sierra bootable USB. There's a new filesystem format for High Sierra (APFS) as well which hints a lack of backwards-compatibility. Thanks!

Thread Tags:
  osx 

Response from Anonymous @ Nov. 20, 2017, 6:50 p.m.
There's a thread today on the MacAdmins Slack discussing how to do this: https://macadmins.slack.com/archives/C3002SY58/p1511189586000646 "you need to remove the APFS disk formatting before you can install Sierra.  If you boot it from a 10.12.6 (I think .5 would work also), you can open a Terminal window and `diskutil apfs list` to get the disk#.  Then `diskutil apfs deleteContainer disk#` to remove APFS and revert it to HFS+.  then your Sierra install should work."
Here's a link to 12.6 if you need it: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?mt=12
--  Shawn

On 11/20/17, 4:33 PM, "studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com on behalf of Kevin McCartney" <studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com on behalf of content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

It's been a while since I worked at Apple (10 years to be exact). In the past, there were issues from time to time where new hardware was not supported in older OS offerings. The last time I remember running into this was when Mac Minis upgraded to LPDDR3 RAM. Images we were using at the time on a previous OS were kernel panicking the machine. If you are trying to install a fresh copy of the OS (not your own internal image) and see that on the screen it is my experience that you will need to upgrade in order to use that hardware.

1 Plus One's     1 Comments  

Response from Mathieu Mauser @ Nov. 23, 2017, 2:40 p.m.
Thanks for the MacAdmins slack link. Theres so much going on over there. Hard to keep up sometimes. 
In the same boat and expecting new iMacs soon and will also be downgrading them to 10.12.6 for our Xsan environment. 
We wont be so lucky when we receive the iMac Pro models We will have to upgrade our Xsan at that point. But since theyre not shipping iMac Pros yet we dont have to worry about that for now.
-x
On Nov 20, 2017, at 3:46 PM, Shawn Sterling <shawn-listmail@scott-howell.com> wrote:
There's a thread today on the MacAdmins Slack discussing how to do this: https://macadmins.slack.com/archives/C3002SY58/p1511189586000646 "you need to remove the APFS disk formatting before you can install Sierra.  If you boot it from a 10.12.6 (I think .5 would work also), you can open a Terminal window and `diskutil apfs list` to get the disk#.  Then `diskutil apfs deleteContainer disk#` to remove APFS and revert it to HFS+.  then your Sierra install should work."
Here's a link to 12.6 if you need it: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?mt=12
--  Shawn

On 11/20/17, 4:33 PM, "studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com on behalf of Kevin McCartney" <studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com on behalf of content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:
It's been a while since I worked at Apple (10 years to be exact). In the past, there were issues from time to time where new hardware was not supported in older OS offerings. The last time I remember running into this was when Mac Minis upgraded to LPDDR3 RAM. Images we were using at the time on a previous OS were kernel panicking the machine. If you are trying to install a fresh copy of the OS (not your own internal image) and see that on the screen it is my experience that you will need to upgrade in order to use that hardware. 

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Kevin McCartney @ Nov. 20, 2017, 5:33 p.m.

0 Plus One's     0 Comments