Sponsors
Sponsor Products
High performance shared storage for Mac based studio
posted by Mathieu Mauser  on Nov. 6, 2017, 7:10 p.m. (17 days ago)
1 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Borja,
Ive worked with one 2D animation studio running macOS and Toon Boom Harmony and can share some of my experience with them.
(I have more experience with fibre channel storage / Xsan / StorNext for VFX and video workflows but this is my experience with 2D animation studio)
For one 2D animation studio I encountered they used lots of QNAP storage. One for every project and some for other data. This was explained to me as affordable for them, decent enough bandwidth and storage. In reality it was hard to manage all those QNAPs easily, and the bandwidth was bad enough that everyone worked locally. Not ideal maybe but it worked for them. Sort of.
When I had a chance to rebuild their storage I chose DDP iSCSi SAN. Which was more expensive but centralized their storage and management of the storage. iSCSI SAN was fast and had 1G and 10G options. It worked, and was easy to backup to tape. But did I mention it was expensive? 
The QNAP had nice features for remote rsync replication, backup/archive to the cloud (glacier/s3, etc) and built-in apps. But managing many of them was tricky in the way that they were set up.
There are many options in the NAS / iSCSI SAN storage space (such as Synology) so find one you want to work with and it might just bridge the gap between performance and price.
Cheers,
Mat X

On Oct 14, 2017, at 3:09 AM, Borja Huertas <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hi Guys, just joined the forum; I'm very excited about learning and sharing knowledge with the community.

I'm looking for some advice in high performance shared storage.

I just joined a new studio that is a Mac only house and all my previous experience was in Windows or Linux based studios. We are looking to buy a new Storage server, maybe a software defined storage solution.

Since AFP is pretty much dead now, and the SMB stack is far from ideal in OSX; I'm wondering what people are using out there.

What about filesystems, any advice on good ZFS or GPFS implementations? Any advice is welcome.

Cheers

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Brian Krusic @ Nov. 6, 2017, 11:15 p.m.
Hi Borja,
If you have time, experiment with FreeNAS which is a UI slapped on top of FreeBSD/ZFS.
Hit me off list for details.
Find a vendor you can rent storage hardware from.
I use Bell to rent hardware in designing a proof of concept.  Then if it flies, we either keep renting until we buy (~10 months or so) or buy outright.
But it minimizes design cost and implementation.
Again, feel free to hit me off list.
I employ a design whats needed now for about 1-3 years and post is such a hand to mouth biz model.
Even if I were at a bigger place, Id still treat every dollar as if it were my own.
- Brian
Every day is a gift Thats why they call it the present"
On Nov 6, 2017, at 4:04 PM, mathieu xavier <matxdotca@gmail.com> wrote:
Borja,
Ive worked with one 2D animation studio running macOS and Toon Boom Harmony and can share some of my experience with them.
(I have more experience with fibre channel storage / Xsan / StorNext for VFX and video workflows but this is my experience with 2D animation studio)
For one 2D animation studio I encountered they used lots of QNAP storage. One for every project and some for other data. This was explained to me as affordable for them, decent enough bandwidth and storage. In reality it was hard to manage all those QNAPs easily, and the bandwidth was bad enough that everyone worked locally. Not ideal maybe but it worked for them. Sort of.
When I had a chance to rebuild their storage I chose DDP iSCSi SAN. Which was more expensive but centralized their storage and management of the storage. iSCSI SAN was fast and had 1G and 10G options. It worked, and was easy to backup to tape. But did I mention it was expensive? 
The QNAP had nice features for remote rsync replication, backup/archive to the cloud (glacier/s3, etc) and built-in apps. But managing many of them was tricky in the way that they were set up.
There are many options in the NAS / iSCSI SAN storage space (such as Synology) so find one you want to work with and it might just bridge the gap between performance and price.
Cheers,
Mat X

On Oct 14, 2017, at 3:09 AM, Borja Huertas <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hi Guys, just joined the forum; I'm very excited about learning and sharing knowledge with the community.

I'm looking for some advice in high performance shared storage.

I just joined a new studio that is a Mac only house and all my previous experience was in Windows or Linux based studios. We are looking to buy a new Storage server, maybe a software defined storage solution.

Since AFP is pretty much dead now, and the SMB stack is far from ideal in OSX; I'm wondering what people are using out there.

What about filesystems, any advice on good ZFS or GPFS implementations? Any advice is welcome.

Cheers

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments