Sponsors
Sponsor Products
VPN and China
posted by Michael Stein  on Oct. 18, 2017, 8:50 a.m. (1 month, 5 days ago)
13 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Wondering what the current state of the art is for VPN and China. Consulting for a company who is sending a production team to China for a performance, but they still want to connect to their digital lives outside the country. 
Any recs for a good VPN provider? Any dos/donts? Or is this just one big no no?

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Samuel Nair @ Oct. 18, 2017, 11:55 p.m.
Couple of additional tips:
1. Any phones with International Roaming are not subject to GFW blocking.2. Project Fi from google works with international roaming as well.
On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Samuel Nair <samuelnair@gmail.com> wrote:
I live and work in Shanghai, so VPN's are part of my daily life. I tried a number of different VPN's over the years and their performance varies. Astrill by far has been the most consistent. A couple of other factors that heavily affect VPN performance in China are - your local internet connection & whats going on politically in the country.
The GFW can and has blocked all VPN's(including Astrill) in the past, but i believe they allow some traffic through as it is critical for business. But for example, right now the China National Congress in ongoing in Beijing, so most VPN's are blocked - Astrill continues to work, but less so over mobile networks.
You local internet connection is a big factor too, most internet connections provided by the 2 state owned Telco's (China Telecom & China Unicom) have very heavily congested routes to US/Europe, with high latency and packet drops. So with a VPN (Astrill/ExpressVPN/Pandapow etc), you will have much more success if you choose server end points in Asia.
Standard OpenVPN is and has been blocked for years. Most VPN providers have developed their own custom VPN protocol which mostly masks its self as SSL traffic. Therefore if you do buy one of the VPN softwares, you should get their advanced encryption protocol. Astrill has StealthVPN, ExpressVPN has something similar i believe.
Lastly, Apple has recently removed VPN apps from the China App store, which should not affect travelers, since most folks will have Apple accounts linked to external App stores, where the apps are available.
If all else fails, some of the services that do work well - Apple Maps, Bing and Office365. There are a lot of local apps that work great too, hit me up off list if you need help.
Some interesting links:
https://media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7196-how_the_great_firewall_discovers_hidden_circumvention_servers
https://cc.greatfire.org/en

-sam
On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Michael Oliver <mcoliver@gmail.com> wrote:
HA...that video. I started out feeling like Eeyore but they really start to get inspirational at 5:12 and by the end I was ready to switch careers and start making fiber patch cables.
From what I understand the GFW has a bunch of pretty robust machine learning algorithms and is able to identify and adapt pretty well. As I understand it their latest clamp down on VPN's have pretty much made shadowsocks and it's derivatives (shadowsocksr and v2ray)the only game in town.
Decent read I had bookmarked on someone who prodded the GFW trying to figure out how it worked (granted this was almost 2 years ago):http://blog.zorinaq.com/my-experience-with-the-great-firewall-of-china/

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 5:06 PM, Dan Mons <dmons@cuttingedge.com.au> wrote:
VPNs in China are tricky. Our guys on the road have reported that things will work one day, then not work for a few days, then suddenly work again. Definitely feels like something's being manually flagged, locked down, checked, and released again.
I want to try a few other methods out to see if I can offer some better reliability to our road warriors. One being an Amazon EC2 instance running an SSL/TLS based VPN (OpenVPN is my preference, because open source yay) on TCP443 so that, at face value at least, it kind of looks more like HTTPS traffic, and hopefully doesn't raise as many red flags.
-Dan

Dan Mons - Senior Systems Administrator

CUTTINGEDGE /

90 Victoria St, West End, Brisbane, QLD, 4101

T+ 61 7 3013 6200

Edmons@cuttingedge.com.au| Wwww.cuttingedge.com.au

/SYD/BNE/TYO

On 18 October 2017 at 22:48, Michael Stein <steinomyte@gmail.com> wrote:
Wondering what the current state of the art is for VPN and China. Consulting for a company who is sending a production team to China for a performance, but they still want to connect to their digital lives outside the country.

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Thisemailis confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient.If you have received thisemailin error please notify the author and delete it immediately. Thisemailis not to be distributed without the author's written consent.Unauthorised forwarding, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited and may be a breach of copyright. Any views expressed in thisemailare those of the individual sender unless specifically stated to be the views ofCutting EdgePost Pty Ltd (Cutting Edge). Although thisemailhas been sent in the belief that it is virus-free, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free. No responsibility is accepted byCutting Edgefor any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use of thisemail. Thisemailmay contain legally privileged information and privilege is not waived if you have received thisemailin error.

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--
Michael Oliver
mcoliver@gmail.com
PGP Public Key: https://goo.gl/a2CnHF

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Samuel Nair @ Oct. 18, 2017, 11:15 p.m.
I live and work in Shanghai, so VPN's are part of my daily life. I tried a number of different VPN's over the years and their performance varies. Astrill by far has been the most consistent. A couple of other factors that heavily affect VPN performance in China are - your local internet connection & whats going on politically in the country.
The GFW can and has blocked all VPN's(including Astrill) in the past, but i believe they allow some traffic through as it is critical for business. But for example, right now the China National Congress in ongoing in Beijing, so most VPN's are blocked - Astrill continues to work, but less so over mobile networks.
You local internet connection is a big factor too, most internet connections provided by the 2 state owned Telco's (China Telecom & China Unicom) have very heavily congested routes to US/Europe, with high latency and packet drops. So with a VPN (Astrill/ExpressVPN/Pandapow etc), you will have much more success if you choose server end points in Asia.
Standard OpenVPN is and has been blocked for years. Most VPN providers have developed their own custom VPN protocol which mostly masks its self as SSL traffic. Therefore if you do buy one of the VPN softwares, you should get their advanced encryption protocol. Astrill has StealthVPN, ExpressVPN has something similar i believe.
Lastly, Apple has recently removed VPN apps from the China App store, which should not affect travelers, since most folks will have Apple accounts linked to external App stores, where the apps are available.
If all else fails, some of the services that do work well - Apple Maps, Bing and Office365. There are a lot of local apps that work great too, hit me up off list if you need help.
Some interesting links:
https://media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7196-how_the_great_firewall_discovers_hidden_circumvention_servers
https://cc.greatfire.org/en

-sam
On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Michael Oliver <mcoliver@gmail.com> wrote:
HA...that video. I started out feeling like Eeyore but they really start to get inspirational at 5:12 and by the end I was ready to switch careers and start making fiber patch cables.
From what I understand the GFW has a bunch of pretty robust machine learning algorithms and is able to identify and adapt pretty well. As I understand it their latest clamp down on VPN's have pretty much made shadowsocks and it's derivatives (shadowsocksr and v2ray)the only game in town.
Decent read I had bookmarked on someone who prodded the GFW trying to figure out how it worked (granted this was almost 2 years ago):http://blog.zorinaq.com/my-experience-with-the-great-firewall-of-china/

VPNs in China are tricky. Our guys on the road have reported that things will work one day, then not work for a few days, then suddenly work again. Definitely feels like something's being manually flagged, locked down, checked, and released again.
I want to try a few other methods out to see if I can offer some better reliability to our road warriors. One being an Amazon EC2 instance running an SSL/TLS based VPN (OpenVPN is my preference, because open source yay) on TCP443 so that, at face value at least, it kind of looks more like HTTPS traffic, and hopefully doesn't raise as many red flags.
-Dan

CUTTINGEDGE /

T+ 61 7 3013 6200

/SYD/BNE/TYO

Thisemailis confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient.If you have received thisemailin error please notify the author and delete it immediately. Thisemailis not to be distributed without the author's written consent.Unauthorised forwarding, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited and may be a breach of copyright. Any views expressed in thisemailare those of the individual sender unless specifically stated to be the views ofCutting EdgePost Pty Ltd (Cutting Edge). Although thisemailhas been sent in the belief that it is virus-free, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free. No responsibility is accepted byCutting Edgefor any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use of thisemail. Thisemailmay contain legally privileged information and privilege is not waived if you have received thisemailin error.

--
Michael Oliver
mcoliver@gmail.com

Response from Michael Oliver @ Oct. 18, 2017, 8:30 p.m.

-Dan

CUTTINGEDGE /

T+ 61 7 3013 6200

/SYD/BNE/TYO

--
Michael Oliver
mcoliver@gmail.com

Response from Dan Mons @ Oct. 18, 2017, 8:10 p.m.
-Dan

CUTTINGEDGE /

T+ 61 7 3013 6200

/SYD/BNE/TYO

Response from Jean-Francois Panisset @ Oct. 18, 2017, 7:45 p.m.
Did they actually set out to make the Saddest Video on the Internet? On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Saker Klippsten wrote: > Everyone thinks it's equipment and yes to some extent... but like everything > done in China my bet is warehouse's of people clickity clacking on keyboards > with the equivalent app called "wall or not" site pops up they spend 2 > seconds looking and click "wall" > > Ever wonder how your fiber patch cables are made? I was like it has to be > automated... nope! > And we just ordered a couple thousand. > > https://youtu.be/pr6kA9wAVhA > > Sent from my iPhone > > On Oct 18, 2017, at 2:38 PM, Rory Falloon wrote: > > My money is on PFSense. > > > ________________________________ > From: "Zorion Terrell" > To: studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com > Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 5:29:46 PM > Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] VPN and China > > I would loooooove to know what equipment they use for "the great firewall" > > > > Zorion Terrell > IT Manager | DHX Studios > e: zorion.terrell@dhxmedia.com > t: 604-684-2363 | m: 604-562-5148 > 380 West 5th Ave > Vancouver, BC Canada V5Y 1J5 > > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com > [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of > Jean-Francois Panisset > Sent: October 18, 2017 1:34 PM > To: studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com > Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] VPN and China > > Apparently the "great firewall" is now explicitly targeting VPN services as > well: > > https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-vpn/amid-vpn-crackdown-china-eyes-upgrades-to-great-firewall-idUSKBN1A51OB > > > > On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Samuel Nair wrote: >> Astrill is the one that works the best. (w/ StealthVPN addon). >> Performance will vary depending on which end point server you pick and >> your local internet connection. >> >> >> On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 at 8:48 PM Michael Stein wrote: >>> >>> Wondering what the current state of the art is for VPN and China. >>> Consulting for a company who is sending a production team to China >>> for a performance, but they still want to connect to their digital >>> lives outside the country. >>> >>> Any recs for a good VPN provider? Any dos/donts? Or is this just >>> one big no no? >>> >>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to >>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=un >>> subscribe >> >> >> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to >> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=uns >> ubscribe > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Saker Klippsten @ Oct. 18, 2017, 5:55 p.m.
Everyone thinks it's equipment and yes to some extent... but like everything done in China my bet is warehouse's of people clickity clacking on keyboards with the equivalent app called "wall or not" site pops up they spend 2 seconds looking and click "wall"
Ever wonder how your fiber patch cables are made? I was like it has to be automated... nope!And we just ordered a couple thousand. 
 https://youtu.be/pr6kA9wAVhA
Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 18, 2017, at 2:38 PM, Rory Falloon <rory@mrxfx.com> wrote:

My money is on PFSense.

To: studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 5:29:46 PM
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] VPN and China

I would loooooove to know what equipment they use for "the great firewall"

Zorion Terrell
IT Manager | DHX Studios
e: zorion.terrell@dhxmedia.com
t: 604-684-2363 | m: 604-562-5148
380 West 5th Ave
Vancouver, BC Canada V5Y 1J5

-----Original Message-----
From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of Jean-Francois Panisset
Sent: October 18, 2017 1:34 PM

Apparently the "great firewall" is now explicitly targeting VPN services as well:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-vpn/amid-vpn-crackdown-china-eyes-upgrades-to-great-firewall-idUSKBN1A51OB

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Samuel Nair <samuelnair@gmail.com> wrote:
> Astrill is the one that works the best. (w/ StealthVPN addon).
> Performance will vary depending on which end point server you pick and
> your local internet connection.
>
>
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 at 8:48 PM Michael Stein <steinomyte@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Wondering what the current state of the art is for VPN and China.
>> Consulting for a company who is sending a production team to China
>> for a performance, but they still want to connect to their digital
>> lives outside the country.
>>
>> Any recs for a good VPN provider? Any dos/donts? Or is this just
>> one big no no?
>>
>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=un
>> subscribe
>
>
> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=uns
> ubscribe

Response from Dan Young @ Oct. 18, 2017, 5:50 p.m.
Yeah it's like 15x 486s running FreeBSD+pfSense

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Rory Falloon <rory@mrxfx.com> wrote:
My money is on PFSense.

Zorion Terrell
IT Manager | DHX Studios
380 West 5th Ave

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of Jean-Francois Panisset

Apparently the "great firewall" is now explicitly targeting VPN services as well:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-vpn/amid-vpn-crackdown-china-eyes-upgrades-to-great-firewall-idUSKBN1A51OB

>
>
>>
>>
>> one big no no?
>>
>> subscribe
>
>
> ubscribe

Response from Rory Falloon @ Oct. 18, 2017, 5:40 p.m.
p { margin: 0; }My money is on PFSense.

Zorion Terrell
IT Manager | DHX Studios
380 West 5th Ave

>
>
>>
>>
>> one big no no?
>>
>> subscribe
>
>
> ubscribe

Response from Zorion Terrell @ Oct. 18, 2017, 5:35 p.m.
I would loooooove to know what equipment they use for "the great firewall" Zorion Terrell IT Manager | DHX Studios e: zorion.terrell@dhxmedia.com t: 604-684-2363 | m: 604-562-5148 380 West 5th Ave Vancouver, BC Canada V5Y 1J5 -----Original Message----- From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of Jean-Francois Panisset Sent: October 18, 2017 1:34 PM To: studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] VPN and China Apparently the "great firewall" is now explicitly targeting VPN services as well: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-vpn/amid-vpn-crackdown-china-eyes-upgrades-to-great-firewall-idUSKBN1A51OB On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Samuel Nair wrote: > Astrill is the one that works the best. (w/ StealthVPN addon). > Performance will vary depending on which end point server you pick and > your local internet connection. > > > On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 at 8:48 PM Michael Stein wrote: >> >> Wondering what the current state of the art is for VPN and China. >> Consulting for a company who is sending a production team to China >> for a performance, but they still want to connect to their digital >> lives outside the country. >> >> Any recs for a good VPN provider? Any dos/donts? Or is this just >> one big no no? >> >> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to >> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=un >> subscribe > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=uns > ubscribe To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Michael Stein @ Oct. 18, 2017, 5:20 p.m.
Should have mentioned that the people doing it will not be technical so it needs to be wrapped up in apps/plugins.

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com <studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com> on behalf of Michael Oliver <mcoliver@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 9:49:29 PM
To: studiosysadmins-discuss
  Depending on your use case tunneling vpn over shadowsocks might fit the bill https://shadowsocks.org

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Jean-Francois Panisset <panisset@gmail.com> wrote:
Apparently the "great firewall" is now explicitly targeting VPN
services as well:

> Astrill is the one that works the best. (w/ StealthVPN addon). Performance
> will vary depending on which end point server you pick and your local
> internet connection.
>
>
>>
>> Consulting for a company who is sending a production team to China for a
>> performance, but they still want to connect to their digital lives outside
>> the country.
>>
>> Any recs for a good VPN provider? Any dos/donts? Or is this just one big
>> no no?
>>
>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>
>
> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--
Michael Oliver
mcoliver@gmail.com

Response from Michael Oliver @ Oct. 18, 2017, 4:55 p.m.
Depending on your use case tunneling vpn over shadowsocks might fit the billhttps://shadowsocks.org

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Jean-Francois Panisset <panisset@gmail.com> wrote:
Apparently the "great firewall" is now explicitly targeting VPN
services as well:

> Astrill is the one that works the best. (w/ StealthVPN addon). Performance
> will vary depending on which end point server you pick and your local
> internet connection.
>
>
>>
>> Consulting for a company who is sending a production team to China for a
>> performance, but they still want to connect to their digital lives outside
>> the country.
>>
>> Any recs for a good VPN provider? Any dos/donts? Or is this just one big
>> no no?
>>
>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>
>
> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--
Michael Oliver
mcoliver@gmail.com

Response from Jean-Francois Panisset @ Oct. 18, 2017, 4:35 p.m.
Apparently the "great firewall" is now explicitly targeting VPN services as well: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-vpn/amid-vpn-crackdown-china-eyes-upgrades-to-great-firewall-idUSKBN1A51OB On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Samuel Nair wrote: > Astrill is the one that works the best. (w/ StealthVPN addon). Performance > will vary depending on which end point server you pick and your local > internet connection. > > > On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 at 8:48 PM Michael Stein wrote: >> >> Wondering what the current state of the art is for VPN and China. >> Consulting for a company who is sending a production team to China for a >> performance, but they still want to connect to their digital lives outside >> the country. >> >> Any recs for a good VPN provider? Any dos/donts? Or is this just one big >> no no? >> >> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to >> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Samuel Nair @ Oct. 18, 2017, 9:45 a.m.
Astrill is the one that works the best. (w/ StealthVPN addon). Performance will vary depending on which end point server you pick and your local internet connection.

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 at 8:48 PM Michael Stein <steinomyte@gmail.com> wrote: