Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Your favorite UDP packet blaster!
posted by Saham Ali  on Oct. 11, 2017, 4:50 p.m. (10 days ago)
10 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Good day folks,Since the talk about FTP last week, I am doing some research into FTP and data transfer alternatives.
We have
Aspera, Signiant, and FileCatalyst.
Who's got the best product, and the best pricing model?
Right now I am leaning towards Signiant as to its cheap, annual subscription and not pay per GB like Aspera, and Filecatalyst is licensed per your on prem link speed I.e 500mb, 1GB etc. Also Filecatalyst is a perpetual license so thats nice.
Would love to know everyone's thoughts.
Main thing we want to be able to accomplish is provide our clients\vendors a portal to retrieve and push files. We would love to not have to worry about "uploading".We also would love to buy into a tech that would allow us to leverage our bandwidth to get data upto the cloud for some cloud rendering down the road, kinda like Aspera ATS.
I have looked at the UDT and other opensource UDP solutions and we do not have enough dev power to complete something that would be elegant to our vendors and clients.
Thoughts?

Thanks again,
Saham

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Anonymous @ Oct. 13, 2017, 8:35 a.m.
Restic has the most brief intro ever:

https://restic.readthedocs.io/en/latest/010_introduction.html

On 13 October 2017 at 08:03, Todd Daugherty <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

http://www.tixeltec.com/

If you want to saturate a 10 gig pipe they can help.

I have also used

https://github.com/sirpalee/bbcp2

https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing

For cloud rendering a VPN connection via

https://github.com/strongswan/strongswan

Has perfect for me with GCE, Digtial Ocean and AWS.

There are SO many fun ways to move data around. Percentage wise I move the most data around wih rsync! Number two is restic.

https://rsync.samba.org/

https://restic.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--
Framestore Peter Smith Senior Systems Engineer
London New York Los Angeles Chicago Montral
T+44 (0)20 7344 8000 M+44 (0)7816 123009
19-23 Wells Street, London W1T 3PQ
Twitter Facebook framestore.com
https://www.framestore.com/

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Todd Daugherty @ Oct. 13, 2017, 3:03 a.m.

http://www.tixeltec.com/

If you want to saturate a 10 gig pipe they can help.

I have also used

https://github.com/sirpalee/bbcp2

https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing

For cloud rendering a VPN connection via 

https://github.com/strongswan/strongswan

Has perfect for me with GCE, Digtial Ocean and AWS.

There are SO many fun ways to move data around. Percentage wise I move the most data around wih rsync! Number two is restic.

https://rsync.samba.org/

https://restic.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Response from Julian Firminger @ Oct. 12, 2017, 6:40 a.m.
I personally liked FileCatalyst as a *much* cheaper alternative to the other big two, at nearly the same performance. (not quite but for the price difference...)But as Jimmy points out, it has almost zero penetration at the customer side. We can support it until the cows come home but that wont make people use it. Pitty really. Nice company, nice support.
Of the big two it's splitting hairs in soup, we use both. I think Greg Whynott was putting some o/s stuff into production? Search the old threads.
For now, our preferred option is to use our own custom built solution: DHL+LTO7+Encryption+WoodenPalletIt's bandwidth utterly dwarfs anything else on the market.

Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Jimmy Christensen <lithorus@gmail.com> wrote:
I personally loathe Signiant. Both their sales people who tries all kinds of tactics to get through the reception and their software which is still only a browser plugin on Linux.
Aspera is far superior IMHO, but it's incredibly expensive. Never tried FileCatalyst though, but have not seen any clients who uses it / will accept it either.
- Jimmy

On 12 October 2017 at 06:07, Saker Klippsten <sakerk@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes but the data transfer is not encrypted :(

Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 11, 2017, at 7:27 PM, Derrick MacPherson <derrickmacpherson@gmail.com> wrote:

I feel like this should be mentioned -https://sourceforge.net/projects/hscp/
On 11 October 2017 at 15:06, Ken Spickler <ken.spickler@gmail.com> wrote:
Are Signiant and Aspera (IBM) charging a subscription fee for on-prem licenses? We have permanent licenses of both. They do offer cloud-based licenses on such a subscription model but we don't use those.

For both, the protocols are equally reliable for us but as products they behave and and managed completely differently. They also have different products that behave differently from each other.

We use both and they both have advantages and disadvantages.

Ken Spickler
Sent from iPhone. Srry for tpos.

> On Oct 11, 2017, at 1:45 PM, Saham Ali <saham.ali@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Good day folks,
> Since the talk about FTP last week, I am doing some research into FTP and data transfer alternatives.
>
> We have
> Aspera, Signiant, and FileCatalyst.
>
> Who's got the best product, and the best pricing model?
>
> Right now I am leaning towards Signiant as to its cheap, annual subscription and not pay per GB like Aspera, and Filecatalyst is licensed per your on prem link speed I.e 500mb, 1GB etc. Also Filecatalyst is a perpetual license so thats nice.
>
> Would love to know everyone's thoughts.
>
> Main thing we want to be able to accomplish is provide our clients\vendors a portal to retrieve and push files. We would love to not have to worry about "uploading".
> We also would love to buy into a tech that would allow us to leverage our bandwidth to get data upto the cloud for some cloud rendering down the road, kinda like Aspera ATS.
>
> I have looked at the UDT and other opensource UDP solutions and we do not have enough dev power to complete something that would be elegant to our vendors and clients.
>
> Thoughts?
>
>
>
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Saham
> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Anonymous @ Oct. 12, 2017, 4:50 a.m.
Before you jump in with Signiant, _test_ their browser plugins and required permissions.

Pain, pain, pain.

On 11 October 2017 at 21:45, Saham Ali <saham.ali@gmail.com> wrote:
Good day folks,Since the talk about FTP last week, I am doing some research into FTP and data transfer alternatives.
We have
Right now I am leaning towards Signiant as to its cheap, annual subscription and not pay per GB like Aspera, and Filecatalyst is licensed per your on prem link speed I.e 500mb, 1GB etc. Also Filecatalyst is a perpetual license so thats nice.
Main thing we want to be able to accomplish is provide our clients\vendors a portal to retrieve and push files. We would love to not have to worry about "uploading".We also would love to buy into a tech that would allow us to leverage our bandwidth to get data upto the cloud for some cloud rendering down the road, kinda like Aspera ATS.
I have looked at the UDT and other opensource UDP solutions and we do not have enough dev power to complete something that would be elegant to our vendors and clients.
Thoughts?

Thanks again,
Saham

--
Framestore Peter Smith Senior Systems Engineer
London New York Los Angeles Chicago Montral
T+44 (0)20 7344 8000 M+44 (0)7816 123009
19-23 Wells Street, London W1T 3PQ
Twitter Facebook framestore.com
https://www.framestore.com/

Response from Anonymous @ Oct. 12, 2017, 4:35 a.m.

On 2017-10-11 21:45, Saham Ali wrote:

Good day folks, Since the talk about FTP last week,  I am doing some research into FTP and data transfer alternatives.   We have 
Aspera, Signiant, and FileCatalyst.   Who's got the best product, and the best pricing model?  
  It's important to remember that there's more than one Aspera product - Connect, Faspex, Point to point etc, each with it's own strengths. I can't speak about Signiant or FileCatalyst, though we receive transfers from both, nor about Aspera's currrent pricing though I do remember at the last place I was at the buy in cost was incredibly high (this was around 2010 though)   I'm rather liking Data Expedition's ExpeDat. It's like Aspera Connect and very familiar to a user who's used an ftp client. Cheap too.   Simon     --
Simon Burley
RPS Film Imaging Ltd
Direct: 01342 395 003
Mobile: 07702 732 655

Response from Jimmy Christensen @ Oct. 12, 2017, 4:30 a.m.
I personally loathe Signiant. Both their sales people who tries all kinds of tactics to get through the reception and their software which is still only a browser plugin on Linux.
Aspera is far superior IMHO, but it's incredibly expensive. Never tried FileCatalyst though, but have not seen any clients who uses it / will accept it either.
- Jimmy
On 12 October 2017 at 06:07, Saker Klippsten <sakerk@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes but the data transfer is not encrypted :(

Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 11, 2017, at 7:27 PM, Derrick MacPherson <derrickmacpherson@gmail.com> wrote:

Are Signiant and Aspera (IBM) charging a subscription fee for on-prem licenses? We have permanent licenses of both. They do offer cloud-based licenses on such a subscription model but we don't use those.

For both, the protocols are equally reliable for us but as products they behave and and managed completely differently. They also have different products that behave differently from each other.

Ken Spickler

>
> Good day folks,
> Since the talk about FTP last week, I am doing some research into FTP and data transfer alternatives.
>
> We have
>
>
> Right now I am leaning towards Signiant as to its cheap, annual subscription and not pay per GB like Aspera, and Filecatalyst is licensed per your on prem link speed I.e 500mb, 1GB etc. Also Filecatalyst is a perpetual license so thats nice.
>
>
> Main thing we want to be able to accomplish is provide our clients\vendors a portal to retrieve and push files. We would love to not have to worry about "uploading".
> We also would love to buy into a tech that would allow us to leverage our bandwidth to get data upto the cloud for some cloud rendering down the road, kinda like Aspera ATS.
>
> I have looked at the UDT and other opensource UDP solutions and we do not have enough dev power to complete something that would be elegant to our vendors and clients.
>
> Thoughts?
>
>
>
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Saham
> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Saker Klippsten @ Oct. 12, 2017, 12:10 a.m.
Yes but the data transfer is not encrypted  :(

Sent from my iPhone

I feel like this should be mentioned - https://sourceforge.net/projects/hscp/

Ken Spickler

>
> Good day folks,
> Since the talk about FTP last week,  I am doing some research into FTP and data transfer alternatives.
>
> We have
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Thoughts?
>
>
>
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Saham

Response from Derrick MacPherson @ Oct. 11, 2017, 10:30 p.m.

Ken Spickler

>
> Good day folks,
>
> We have
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Thoughts?
>
>
>
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Saham

Response from Ken Spickler @ Oct. 11, 2017, 6:10 p.m.
Are Signiant and Aspera (IBM) charging a subscription fee for on-prem licenses? We have permanent licenses of both. They do offer cloud-based licenses on such a subscription model but we don't use those. For both, the protocols are equally reliable for us but as products they behave and and managed completely differently. They also have different products that behave differently from each other. We use both and they both have advantages and disadvantages. Ken Spickler Sent from iPhone. Srry for tpos. > On Oct 11, 2017, at 1:45 PM, Saham Ali wrote: > > Good day folks, > Since the talk about FTP last week, I am doing some research into FTP and data transfer alternatives. > > We have > Aspera, Signiant, and FileCatalyst. > > Who's got the best product, and the best pricing model? > > Right now I am leaning towards Signiant as to its cheap, annual subscription and not pay per GB like Aspera, and Filecatalyst is licensed per your on prem link speed I.e 500mb, 1GB etc. Also Filecatalyst is a perpetual license so thats nice. > > Would love to know everyone's thoughts. > > Main thing we want to be able to accomplish is provide our clients\vendors a portal to retrieve and push files. We would love to not have to worry about "uploading". > We also would love to buy into a tech that would allow us to leverage our bandwidth to get data upto the cloud for some cloud rendering down the road, kinda like Aspera ATS. > > I have looked at the UDT and other opensource UDP solutions and we do not have enough dev power to complete something that would be elegant to our vendors and clients. > > Thoughts? > > > > > Thanks again, > > Saham > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Robin Scher @ Oct. 11, 2017, 5:50 p.m.

We switched from Signiant to Aspera about a year and a half ago, and have much better reliability and simpler interface and better throughput. Everyone has been much happier, both our clients that transfer stuff to us and ourselves internally having to use it regularly.

Robin Scher | Uberware | 213.448.0443 | robin@uberware.net | www.uberware.net

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of Saham Ali
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:45 PM
To: discuss@studiosysadmins.com <studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com>
Subject: [SSA-Discuss] Your favorite UDP packet blaster!

Good day folks,

Since the talk about FTP last week,  I am doing some research into FTP and data transfer alternatives.

We have 

Main thing we want to be able to accomplish is provide our clients\vendors a portal to retrieve and push files. We would love to not have to worry about "uploading".

We also would love to buy into a tech that would allow us to leverage our bandwidth to get data upto the cloud for some cloud rendering down the road, kinda like Aspera ATS.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,

Saham