Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Friday Off topic(ish) story time. +1 Intel
posted by Greg Whynott  on Sept. 15, 2017, 11:30 a.m. (11 months ago)
9 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Bought an i7-7740x 4.3 Ghz CPU for my machine at home a month ago.

Last Friday after a few beers and late at night I thought it would be a good idea to overclock it it, its an "X" after all! People on the internet with water cooling are running them at 5+ Ghz.

Not being a fan of overclocking and never really have messed with it, I was happy to see my Intel CPU came with a program from Intel themselves called "Xtream tuning", which is a CPU overclocking application. *hickup* Need another beer!

The cloudy thought was "Must be safe to try it with this, as Intel made it themselves for their own CPU." wrong.

Set it to 4.4, apply, burn in test for 5 minutes. good.

4.5, " " good.

4.6, hit apply - computer shuts down. Never to post again. A wave of sadness and self berating starts.

I was bummed out as 4.5 is its turbo speed and I didn't expect it sweat a 100Mhz bump. But it did.

After years of hearing "if you kill your CPU from overclocking you are out of luck.", I figured I just lost my 500 dollar investment. So Saturday morning with a slight hang over and depressed I go buy another one. I tell the guy at the store my sad story.
He says 'Try to RMA it'. So with nothing to lose I open a ticket with Intel and truthfully tell them what happened.
One question from them, "how would you like us to ship it to you?". wow !!!

but wait there is more! :)

There has been a problem in the neighborhood with delivery packages going missing. I asked UPS to "place package in blue box on porch", where it would be 'hidden'. I get the 'delivered' notice. Get home at 7ish, no package!! My heart sinks.

But wait, I have a dropcam on my porch! I'll have video of the thief! Go to look at the video and its all black!!! WTF? camera is off line. Its been online for 3 years or more... Discover at 3:30 that morning is when it went off line, my kids cat yanked the power cord from the wall!! bad kitty! what perfectly bad timing!

I open an investigation with UPS..
9 PM I get a text from my neighbor (3 houses down!!) " I picked up a package from your porch today, its here if you want it."

whew!!!!

the end. ;)

Just have to say that was the easiest RMA I've done in a long time. Its as if they didn't care what happened to it. "if it is a boxed cpu and not an oem, you are good for return.". Thanks Intel!
greg

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Doug Meyer @ Sept. 15, 2017, 6:40 p.m.
+1 BIOS only.  Most motherboards will just load the default BIOS settings if it fails to post with your OC tuned ones.  Pretty difficult to cook a CPU on an Asus board, for example.

Sent from my iPhone.
On Sep 15, 2017, at 12:30 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the update.  It states it is good for a one time replacement.  I suspect I burned that already.  ;)

I think I'm going to avoid the overclocking thing,  have no real reason to be doing it anyway.    I went from an x79 chipset to x299,  the bump in perceptial performance was large - so I am /should be happy with things as they are.

have a great weekend!
greg

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Michael Rochefort <mike@michaelrochefort.com> wrote:
Just scrounged it up, here's the link: https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

It's not super cheap, but it should cover you a bit if you feel you need the extra warranty.

Cheers,
Mike

---- On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 12:06:28 -0400 greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote ----

Had no idea Michael about the insurance.   My understanding was the "X" CPUs are the ones they expect people to overclock,  wonder if they come with this policy by default,  as there were no questions or comments from them.
will look into that.

greg

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Michael Rochefort <mike@michaelrochefort.com> wrote:

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

That's great Greg! I was sort of expecting a sad ending. Just so you know, Intel does offer overclocking insurance on their chips so you can always overclock and you'll be covered. I don't have the link on me but they have a bunch of programs like that. 

Cheers,
Mike

---- On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:31:12 -0400 anthony pangan<apangan@gmail.com> wrote ----

Awesome! Now see how much further past 4.5 you can get this one ;)

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 08:25 greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
Last Friday after a few beers and late at night I thought it would be a good idea to overclock it it,  its an "X" after all!  People on the internet with water cooling are running them at 5+ Ghz.

Not being a fan of overclocking and never really have messed with it,  I was happy to see my Intel CPU came with a program from Intel themselves called "Xtream tuning",  which is a CPU overclocking application.  *hickup*  Need another beer!

The cloudy thought was "Must be safe to try it with this,  as Intel made it themselves for their own CPU."   wrong.

Set it to 4.4,  apply,  burn in test for 5 minutes.  good.

4.5,  "  "   good.

4.6,  hit apply - computer shuts down.  Never to post again.    A wave of sadness and self berating starts.  

I was bummed out as 4.5 is its turbo speed and I didn't expect it sweat a 100Mhz bump.  But it did.

After years of hearing "if you kill your CPU from overclocking you are out of luck.",  I figured I just lost my 500 dollar investment.   So Saturday morning with a slight hang over and depressed I go buy another one.  I tell the guy at the store my sad story.

He says 'Try to RMA it'.   So with nothing to lose I open a ticket with Intel and truthfully tell them what happened.

One question from them,   "how would you like us to ship it to you?".   wow !!!  

but wait there is more!  :)

There has been a problem in the neighborhood with delivery packages going missing.     I asked UPS to "place package in blue box on porch",  where it would be 'hidden'.   I get the 'delivered' notice.  Get home at 7ish,  no package!!  My heart sinks.

But wait,  I have a dropcam on my porch!  I'll have video of the thief!     Go to look at the video and its all black!!!   WTF?   camera is off line.  Its been online for 3  years or more...  Discover at 3:30 that morning is when it went off line,  my kids cat yanked the power cord from the wall!!   bad kitty!   what perfectly bad timing!     

9 PM I get a text from my neighbor (3 houses down!!) " I picked up a package from your porch today,  its here if you want it."

whew!!!!   

the end.  ;)

Just have to say that was the easiest RMA I've done in a long time.  Its as if they didn't care what happened to it.  "if it is a boxed cpu and not an oem,  you are good for return.".  Thanks Intel!

greg

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
--
Sent from my iPhone

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Greg Whynott @ Sept. 15, 2017, 12:35 p.m.
Thanks for the update. It states it is good for a one time replacement. I suspect I burned that already. ;)

I think I'm going to avoid the overclocking thing, have no real reason to be doing it anyway. I went from an x79 chipset to x299, the bump in perceptial performance was large - so I am /should be happy with things as they are.

have a great weekend!
greg

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Michael Rochefort <mike@michaelrochefort.com> wrote:

It's not super cheap, but it should cover you a bit if you feel you need the extra warranty.

Cheers,
Mike

---- On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 12:06:28 -0400greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote ----

Had no idea Michael about the insurance. My understanding was the "X" CPUs are the ones they expect people to overclock, wonder if they come with this policy by default, as there were no questions or comments from them.
will look into that.

greg

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Michael Rochefort <mike@michaelrochefort.com> wrote:

That's great Greg! I was sort of expecting a sad ending. Just so you know, Intel does offer overclocking insurance on their chips so you can always overclock and you'll be covered. I don't have the link on me but they have a bunch of programs like that.

Cheers,
Mike

---- On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:31:12 -0400 anthony pangan<apangan@gmail.com> wrote ----

Last Friday after a few beers and late at night I thought it would be a good idea to overclock it it, its an "X" after all! People on the internet with water cooling are running them at 5+ Ghz.

Not being a fan of overclocking and never really have messed with it, I was happy to see my Intel CPU came with a program from Intel themselves called "Xtream tuning", which is a CPU overclocking application. *hickup* Need another beer!

The cloudy thought was "Must be safe to try it with this, as Intel made it themselves for their own CPU." wrong.

4.5, " " good.

4.6, hit apply - computer shuts down. Never to post again. A wave of sadness and self berating starts.

I was bummed out as 4.5 is its turbo speed and I didn't expect it sweat a 100Mhz bump. But it did.

After years of hearing "if you kill your CPU from overclocking you are out of luck.", I figured I just lost my 500 dollar investment. So Saturday morning with a slight hang over and depressed I go buy another one. I tell the guy at the store my sad story.

He says 'Try to RMA it'. So with nothing to lose I open a ticket with Intel and truthfully tell them what happened.

There has been a problem in the neighborhood with delivery packages going missing. I asked UPS to "place package in blue box on porch", where it would be 'hidden'. I get the 'delivered' notice. Get home at 7ish, no package!! My heart sinks.

But wait, I have a dropcam on my porch! I'll have video of the thief! Go to look at the video and its all black!!! WTF? camera is off line. Its been online for 3 years or more... Discover at 3:30 that morning is when it went off line, my kids cat yanked the power cord from the wall!! bad kitty! what perfectly bad timing!

9 PM I get a text from my neighbor (3 houses down!!) " I picked up a package from your porch today, its here if you want it."

whew!!!!

the end. ;)

Just have to say that was the easiest RMA I've done in a long time. Its as if they didn't care what happened to it. "if it is a boxed cpu and not an oem, you are good for return.". Thanks Intel!

greg

--
Sent from my iPhone

Response from Mike Rochefort @ Sept. 15, 2017, 12:15 p.m.

Cheers,
Mike

---- On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 12:06:28 -0400 greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote ----

Had no idea Michael about the insurance.   My understanding was the "X" CPUs are the ones they expect people to overclock,  wonder if they come with this policy by default,  as there were no questions or comments from them.
will look into that.

greg

Cheers,
Mike

Last Friday after a few beers and late at night I thought it would be a good idea to overclock it it,  its an "X" after all!  People on the internet with water cooling are running them at 5+ Ghz.

Not being a fan of overclocking and never really have messed with it,  I was happy to see my Intel CPU came with a program from Intel themselves called "Xtream tuning",  which is a CPU overclocking application.  *hickup*  Need another beer!

The cloudy thought was "Must be safe to try it with this,  as Intel made it themselves for their own CPU."   wrong.

4.5,  "  "   good.

4.6,  hit apply - computer shuts down.  Never to post again.    A wave of sadness and self berating starts.  

I was bummed out as 4.5 is its turbo speed and I didn't expect it sweat a 100Mhz bump.  But it did.

After years of hearing "if you kill your CPU from overclocking you are out of luck.",  I figured I just lost my 500 dollar investment.   So Saturday morning with a slight hang over and depressed I go buy another one.  I tell the guy at the store my sad story.

He says 'Try to RMA it'.   So with nothing to lose I open a ticket with Intel and truthfully tell them what happened.

There has been a problem in the neighborhood with delivery packages going missing.     I asked UPS to "place package in blue box on porch",  where it would be 'hidden'.   I get the 'delivered' notice.  Get home at 7ish,  no package!!  My heart sinks.

But wait,  I have a dropcam on my porch!  I'll have video of the thief!     Go to look at the video and its all black!!!   WTF?   camera is off line.  Its been online for 3  years or more...  Discover at 3:30 that morning is when it went off line,  my kids cat yanked the power cord from the wall!!   bad kitty!   what perfectly bad timing!     

9 PM I get a text from my neighbor (3 houses down!!) " I picked up a package from your porch today,  its here if you want it."

whew!!!!   

the end.  ;)

Just have to say that was the easiest RMA I've done in a long time.  Its as if they didn't care what happened to it.  "if it is a boxed cpu and not an oem,  you are good for return.".  Thanks Intel!

greg

--
Sent from my iPhone

Response from Greg Whynott @ Sept. 15, 2017, 12:10 p.m.
Hi William,

Exactly, I discovered it was a very bad thing to do, lots of idiots like myself on the forums in the same situation. Could of been an expensive lesson.

greg

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 11:37 AM, William Sandler <william.sandler@allthingsmedia.com> wrote:
Never OC from the OS, always from the BIOS.
Overclock.net has some good guides to follow.

William Sandler
All Things Media, LLC
william.sandler@allthingsmedia.com

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 11:31 AM, anthony pangan <apangan@gmail.com> wrote:

4.5, " " good.

whew!!!!

the end. ;)

greg
--
Sent from my iPhone

Response from Greg Whynott @ Sept. 15, 2017, 12:10 p.m.
Had no idea Michael about the insurance. My understanding was the "X" CPUs are the ones they expect people to overclock, wonder if they come with this policy by default, as there were no questions or comments from them.

will look into that.

greg

Cheers,Mike

4.5, " " good.

whew!!!!

the end. ;)

greg
--
Sent from my iPhone To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Greg Whynott @ Sept. 15, 2017, 12:05 p.m.
Plan to! but after a few beers tonight. :)

For what it is worth, I spent time on the forums after popping my CPU, and the general consensus is "don't do it with applications, ALWAYS use the BIOS". Apparently this way you can back yourself out most of the time.

4.5, " " good.

whew!!!!

the end. ;)

greg
--
Sent from my iPhone

Response from William Sandler @ Sept. 15, 2017, 11:40 a.m.
Never OC from the OS, always from the BIOS.
Overclock.net has some good guides to follow.

William Sandler
All Things Media, LLC
william.sandler@allthingsmedia.com

4.5, " " good.

whew!!!!

the end. ;)

greg
--
Sent from my iPhone

Response from Anthony Pangan @ Sept. 15, 2017, 11:35 a.m.

4.5, " " good.

whew!!!!

the end. ;)

greg
--
Sent from my iPhone

Response from Mike Rochefort @ Sept. 15, 2017, 11:35 a.m.
Cheers,Mike

4.5,  "  "   good.

whew!!!!   

the end.  ;)

greg
--
Sent from my iPhone To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe