Sponsors
Sponsor Products
CGI racked workstations
posted by Fabrice Altman  on Sept. 12, 2017, 11:25 a.m. (2 months, 11 days ago)
11 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Hello,

 

We are thinking of making the switch to racked 2U workstations for our artists, like this for example :

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-workstations/precision-rack-7000-series-7910/spd/precision-r7910-workstation

No real vendor preference yet though. We are a mid-sized Windows shop, based in the UK, using Maya, Nuke, Adobe, etc.

 

A/ Can you suggest different vendors that do these types of workstations?

B/ Are there some cons into having the PCs rack mounted, as opposed to under the desk?

C/ I cannot see a 4K compatible Teradici based client. Are they some, or other hardware of the same type, to work remotely with 4K?

 

Cheers,

F.    

 

 

 

 


Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Anonymous @ Sept. 14, 2017, 5:10 p.m.
Speak to Jeremy Smith at jellyfish. He's done some good stuff with PCoIP, Azure, etc, etc
Pete



Sent with Mailtrack
On 14 September 2017 at 13:36, Zorion Terrell <Zorion.Terrell@dhxmedia.com> wrote:

Has anyone on the list had much success in doing VDI for CG Workstations?

A VDI or Zero-Client solution is on our list-o-things to look into this year and would love to hear from the community.

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

e: zorion.terrell@dhxmedia.com

t: 604-684-2363 | m: 604-562-5148

380 West 5th Ave

Vancouver, BC Canada V5Y 1J5

Email Signature_DHX_Media

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of julian firminger
Sent: September 14, 2017 3:49 AM
To: studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] CGI racked workstations

In that case...

There are plenty-o-arguments for PCoIP. But you'd be well worth looking at some KVM options. IHSE, ThinkLogical, Adder, there are more.

We run ~120 workstations in a DC, mostly AvidMC. We have a ThinkLogical and an SDI matrix side by side, all the Mojo/Aja/Nitris outputs run through the matrix and all the rest goes via the TL. Wtih just a fibre pair and SDI cable, we can deliver any workstation to any suite, in the building or down fibre we own to other cities.

Advantages over PCoE

* way more stable

* cannot suffer bandwidth problems, the only limitation is speed of light

* 4K capable

* Matrix style idiot proof "ws24>suit15: click/done" assignment

Disadvantages

* not IP, needs dedicated fibre per endpoint

* obviously wont go to a colo very well

Ya gotta plan ahead though. Every room in our buildings has 4 or 8 fibre plus SDI to it. I think every room except the toilets. Knowing our network architect (Harm van Houten, on this list) there probably is fibre in the toilets.


Julian Firminger

Senior Systems Administrator

United Broadcast Facilities

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Fabrice Altman <fabrice@studioaka.co.uk> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for all the inputs. Most helpful.

The reasons wed like to go down that route:

- Noise.

- Clutter.

- No risk of the odd spilt cup of tea/coffee ending up on an expensive machine.

- Easier/faster cabling/termination in the future.

- Hot desking.

- Remote work.

We would only have 15 machines maximum, on site.

Maybe in a collo, way down the line in the future.

If we need more in peak times, they will have to be deskside for now.

Cheers,

F.


To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe



--

Pete





0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
   

Response from Zorion Terrell @ Sept. 14, 2017, 4:40 p.m.

Has anyone on the list had much success in doing VDI for CG Workstations?

 

A VDI or Zero-Client solution is on our list-o-things to look into this year and would love to hear from the community.

 

 

 

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

e: zorion.terrell@dhxmedia.com

t: 604-684-2363 | m: 604-562-5148

380 West 5th Ave

Vancouver, BC Canada V5Y 1J5

 

Email Signature_DHX_Media

 

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of julian firminger
Sent: September 14, 2017 3:49 AM
To: studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] CGI racked workstations

 

In that case...

There are plenty-o-arguments for PCoIP.  But you'd be well worth looking at some KVM options.  IHSE, ThinkLogical, Adder, there are more. 

We run ~120 workstations in a DC, mostly AvidMC.  We have a ThinkLogical and an SDI matrix side by side, all the Mojo/Aja/Nitris outputs run through the matrix and all the rest goes via the TL.  Wtih just a fibre pair and SDI cable, we can deliver any workstation to any suite, in the building or down fibre we own to other cities.    

 

Advantages over PCoE

* way more stable

* cannot suffer bandwidth problems, the only limitation is speed of light

* 4K capable

* Matrix style idiot proof "ws24>suit15: click/done" assignment

 

Disadvantages

* not IP, needs dedicated fibre per endpoint

* obviously wont go to a colo very well

 

Ya gotta plan ahead though.  Every room in our buildings has 4 or 8 fibre plus SDI to it.  I think every room except the toilets.  Knowing our network architect (Harm van Houten, on this list) there probably is fibre in the toilets.  

 


Julian Firminger

Senior Systems Administrator

United Broadcast Facilities

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

 

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Fabrice Altman <fabrice@studioaka.co.uk> wrote:

Hi,

 

Thanks for all the inputs. Most helpful.

 

The reasons wed like to go down that route:

-          Noise.

-          Clutter.

-          No risk of the odd spilt cup of tea/coffee ending up on an expensive machine.

-          Easier/faster cabling/termination in the future.

-          Hot desking.

-          Remote work.

 

We would only have 15 machines maximum, on site.

Maybe in a collo, way down the line in the future.

If we need more in peak times, they will have to be deskside for now.

 

Cheers,

F.

 

 


To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

 


0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
   

Response from Julian Firminger @ Sept. 14, 2017, 6:50 a.m.
In that case...There are plenty-o-arguments for PCoIP. But you'd be well worth looking at some KVM options. IHSE, ThinkLogical, Adder, there are more.We run ~120 workstations in a DC, mostly AvidMC. We have a ThinkLogical and an SDI matrix side by side, all the Mojo/Aja/Nitris outputs run through the matrix and all the rest goes via the TL. Wtih just a fibre pair and SDI cable, we can deliver any workstation to any suite, in the building or down fibre we own to other cities.
Advantages over PCoE* way more stable* cannot suffer bandwidth problems, the only limitation is speed of light* 4K capable* Matrix style idiot proof "ws24>suit15: click/done" assignment
Disadvantages* not IP, needs dedicated fibre per endpoint* obviously wont go to a colo very well
Ya gotta plan ahead though. Every room in our buildings has 4 or 8 fibre plus SDI to it. I think every room except the toilets. Knowing our network architect (Harm van Houten, on this list) there probably is fibre in the toilets.

Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Fabrice Altman <fabrice@studioaka.co.uk> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for all the inputs. Most helpful.

The reasons wed like to go down that route:

- Noise.

- Clutter.

- No risk of the odd spilt cup of tea/coffee ending up on an expensive machine.

- Easier/faster cabling/termination in the future.

- Hot desking.

- Remote work.

We would only have 15 machines maximum, on site.

Maybe in a collo, way down the line in the future.

If we need more in peak times, they will have to be deskside for now.

Cheers,

F.


To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
   

Response from Fabrice Altman @ Sept. 14, 2017, 6:05 a.m.

Hi,

 

Thanks for all the inputs. Most helpful.

 

The reasons wed like to go down that route:

-          Noise.

-          Clutter.

-          No risk of the odd spilt cup of tea/coffee ending up on an expensive machine.

-          Easier/faster cabling/termination in the future.

-          Hot desking.

-          Remote work.

 

We would only have 15 machines maximum, on site.

Maybe in a collo, way down the line in the future.

If we need more in peak times, they will have to be deskside for now.

 

Cheers,

F.

 

 


0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
   

Response from William Sandler @ Sept. 13, 2017, 11:05 a.m.
Good info Saker, thank you.



William Sandler
All Things Media, LLC
william.sandler@allthingsmedia.com
On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 5:20 AM, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
I suspect this is out of scope but Thinklogical will do 4K. But that's not a WAN solution, it's strictly a KVM.


Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Peter Smith <peter.smith@framestore.com> wrote:
Hey Fabrice.

You're a legend in my house! I see your name at least twice a day as the kids get their dose of "Hey Duggee". :-)

We use the 2U Dell units (7910) and 1U Fujitsu Celsuis C740.

HP t310 Zero clients.

All good.

On 12 September 2017 at 16:21, Fabrice Altman <fabrice@studioaka.co.uk> wrote:

Hello,

We are thinking of making the switch to racked 2U workstations for our artists, like this for example :

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-workstations/precision-rack-7000-series-7910/spd/precision-r7910-workstation

No real vendor preference yet though. We are a mid-sized Windows shop, based in the UK, using Maya, Nuke, Adobe, etc.

A/ Can you suggest different vendors that do these types of workstations?

B/ Are there some cons into having the PCs rack mounted, as opposed to under the desk?

C/ I cannot see a 4K compatible Teradici based client. Are they some, or other hardware of the same type, to work remotely with 4K?

Cheers,

F.


To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe



--
Framestore Peter Smith Senior Systems Engineer
London New York Los Angeles Chicago Montral
T+44 (0)20 7344 8000 M+44 (0)7816 123009
19-23 Wells Street, London W1T 3PQ
Twitter Facebook framestore.com
https://www.framestore.com/

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
   

Response from Julian Firminger @ Sept. 13, 2017, 5:25 a.m.
I suspect this is out of scope but Thinklogical will do 4K. But that's not a WAN solution, it's strictly a KVM.


Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Peter Smith <peter.smith@framestore.com> wrote:
Hey Fabrice.

You're a legend in my house! I see your name at least twice a day as the kids get their dose of "Hey Duggee". :-)

We use the 2U Dell units (7910) and 1U Fujitsu Celsuis C740.

HP t310 Zero clients.

All good.

On 12 September 2017 at 16:21, Fabrice Altman <fabrice@studioaka.co.uk> wrote:

Hello,

We are thinking of making the switch to racked 2U workstations for our artists, like this for example :

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-workstations/precision-rack-7000-series-7910/spd/precision-r7910-workstation

No real vendor preference yet though. We are a mid-sized Windows shop, based in the UK, using Maya, Nuke, Adobe, etc.

A/ Can you suggest different vendors that do these types of workstations?

B/ Are there some cons into having the PCs rack mounted, as opposed to under the desk?

C/ I cannot see a 4K compatible Teradici based client. Are they some, or other hardware of the same type, to work remotely with 4K?

Cheers,

F.


To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe



--
Framestore Peter Smith Senior Systems Engineer
London New York Los Angeles Chicago Montral
T+44 (0)20 7344 8000 M+44 (0)7816 123009
19-23 Wells Street, London W1T 3PQ
Twitter Facebook framestore.com
https://www.framestore.com/

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
   

Response from Anonymous @ Sept. 13, 2017, 4:55 a.m.
Hey Fabrice.

You're a legend in my house! I see your name at least twice a day as the kids get their dose of "Hey Duggee". :-)

We use the 2U Dell units (7910) and 1U Fujitsu Celsuis C740.

HP t310 Zero clients.

All good.

On 12 September 2017 at 16:21, Fabrice Altman <fabrice@studioaka.co.uk> wrote:

Hello,

We are thinking of making the switch to racked 2U workstations for our artists, like this for example :

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-workstations/precision-rack-7000-series-7910/spd/precision-r7910-workstation

No real vendor preference yet though. We are a mid-sized Windows shop, based in the UK, using Maya, Nuke, Adobe, etc.

A/ Can you suggest different vendors that do these types of workstations?

B/ Are there some cons into having the PCs rack mounted, as opposed to under the desk?

C/ I cannot see a 4K compatible Teradici based client. Are they some, or other hardware of the same type, to work remotely with 4K?

Cheers,

F.


To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe



--
Framestore Peter Smith Senior Systems Engineer
London New York Los Angeles Chicago Montral
T+44 (0)20 7344 8000 M+44 (0)7816 123009
19-23 Wells Street, London W1T 3PQ
Twitter Facebook framestore.com
https://www.framestore.com/

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
   

Response from Saker Klippsten @ Sept. 12, 2017, 8:35 p.m.
@ 27ms latency from LA to BC, We use everything.. . Maya, Nuke, Houdini , Mari. Adobe Suite and we do share workstations between offices. No complaints.The Majority of equipment is in our BC COLO and there is no latency between our COLO and our BC Office which is about 4km away..NYC on the other hand is at 72ms and while most apps work, Matte-painters using PS complaint a bit at that latency.
-S




On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 11:45 AM, William Sandler <william.sandler@allthingsmedia.com> wrote:
Saker can I ask what applications you're using over PCoIP over WAN? Ever get any complaints from artists about latency?

William Sandler
All Things Media, LLC
william.sandler@allthingsmedia.com

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Jean-Francois Panisset <panisset@gmail.com> wrote:
We have some R7910s, they are basically 2U R730 servers with bundled
GPU and Teradici host cards.

The good points:

- complete vendor bundled system, so no finger pointing for support
- supported version of Windows 8.1 / Windows 10, including drivers:
rackmount class hardware typically only supports Windows Server
- iDRAC goodness
- 2U form factor leaves plenty of space for expansion
- 10 GbE networking can be configured as a daughtercard, so doesn't
take up PCIe slot
- solid feeling system

Not so good points:

- We have more of those systems fail than we've had generic Supermicro
systems fail (and we have a lot more of those)
- Reaching the right group at Dell support can be tricky, since it's
really a "server in workstation clothes", so you have to insist to
talk to the server folks
- Quality of Dell support seems to be going down, we've had a system
down for a few weeks and still can't get them to ship parts or someone
to come take a look at it. Previously things got taken care of very
quickly, so maybe just a one off bad experience?

JF




On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Fabrice Altman <fabrice@studioaka.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>
>
> We are thinking of making the switch to racked 2U workstations for our
> artists, like this for example :
>
> http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-workstations/precision-rack-7000-series-7910/spd/precision-r7910-workstation
>
> No real vendor preference yet though. We are a mid-sized Windows shop, based
> in the UK, using Maya, Nuke, Adobe, etc.
>
>
>
> A/ Can you suggest different vendors that do these types of workstations?
>
> B/ Are there some cons into having the PCs rack mounted, as opposed to under
> the desk?
>
> C/ I cannot see a 4K compatible Teradici based client. Are they some, or
> other hardware of the same type, to work remotely with 4K?
>
>
>
> Cheers,
>
> F.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
   

Response from William Sandler @ Sept. 12, 2017, 2:50 p.m.
Saker can I ask what applications you're using over PCoIP over WAN? Ever get any complaints from artists about latency?

William Sandler
All Things Media, LLC
william.sandler@allthingsmedia.com
On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Jean-Francois Panisset <panisset@gmail.com> wrote:
We have some R7910s, they are basically 2U R730 servers with bundled
GPU and Teradici host cards.

The good points:

- complete vendor bundled system, so no finger pointing for support
- supported version of Windows 8.1 / Windows 10, including drivers:
rackmount class hardware typically only supports Windows Server
- iDRAC goodness
- 2U form factor leaves plenty of space for expansion
- 10 GbE networking can be configured as a daughtercard, so doesn't
take up PCIe slot
- solid feeling system

Not so good points:

- We have more of those systems fail than we've had generic Supermicro
systems fail (and we have a lot more of those)
- Reaching the right group at Dell support can be tricky, since it's
really a "server in workstation clothes", so you have to insist to
talk to the server folks
- Quality of Dell support seems to be going down, we've had a system
down for a few weeks and still can't get them to ship parts or someone
to come take a look at it. Previously things got taken care of very
quickly, so maybe just a one off bad experience?

JF




On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Fabrice Altman <fabrice@studioaka.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>
>
> We are thinking of making the switch to racked 2U workstations for our
> artists, like this for example :
>
> http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-workstations/precision-rack-7000-series-7910/spd/precision-r7910-workstation
>
> No real vendor preference yet though. We are a mid-sized Windows shop, based
> in the UK, using Maya, Nuke, Adobe, etc.
>
>
>
> A/ Can you suggest different vendors that do these types of workstations?
>
> B/ Are there some cons into having the PCs rack mounted, as opposed to under
> the desk?
>
> C/ I cannot see a 4K compatible Teradici based client. Are they some, or
> other hardware of the same type, to work remotely with 4K?
>
>
>
> Cheers,
>
> F.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
   

Response from Jean-Francois Panisset @ Sept. 12, 2017, 1:55 p.m.
We have some R7910s, they are basically 2U R730 servers with bundled GPU and Teradici host cards. The good points: - complete vendor bundled system, so no finger pointing for support - supported version of Windows 8.1 / Windows 10, including drivers: rackmount class hardware typically only supports Windows Server - iDRAC goodness - 2U form factor leaves plenty of space for expansion - 10 GbE networking can be configured as a daughtercard, so doesn't take up PCIe slot - solid feeling system Not so good points: - We have more of those systems fail than we've had generic Supermicro systems fail (and we have a lot more of those) - Reaching the right group at Dell support can be tricky, since it's really a "server in workstation clothes", so you have to insist to talk to the server folks - Quality of Dell support seems to be going down, we've had a system down for a few weeks and still can't get them to ship parts or someone to come take a look at it. Previously things got taken care of very quickly, so maybe just a one off bad experience? JF On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Fabrice Altman wrote: > Hello, > > > > We are thinking of making the switch to racked 2U workstations for our > artists, like this for example : > > http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-workstations/precision-rack-7000-series-7910/spd/precision-r7910-workstation > > No real vendor preference yet though. We are a mid-sized Windows shop, based > in the UK, using Maya, Nuke, Adobe, etc. > > > > A/ Can you suggest different vendors that do these types of workstations? > > B/ Are there some cons into having the PCs rack mounted, as opposed to under > the desk? > > C/ I cannot see a 4K compatible Teradici based client. Are they some, or > other hardware of the same type, to work remotely with 4K? > > > > Cheers, > > F. > > > > > > > > > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
   

Response from Saker Klippsten @ Sept. 12, 2017, 1:35 p.m.
Hi Fabrice.
1. What are you reason for moving to a racked workstation setup? Noise? Power Issues? Less clutter? Security? Cut down on cabling costs?2. Will these workstation be onsite in a server room, or offsite in a datacenter/colo?3. How many workstation to you ultimately plan on having?


We have been using PCoIP for about 10 Years now. Specifically we started out in our Vancouver office. So we put all of them in a COLO and have dark fiber running to our office.like you we are windows on the workstation side.
Reasons
*The building we were in did not have enough cooling capacity on the floor for BTU output of the 300+ humans and desk side workstations.*Cost to run lots of power to the artist desks..*Noise*Better Networking Options. Meaning at the time 10gig was on the horizon but going this route has allowed us to upgrade to 40Gig+ at the workstation.as we don't have to deal with expensive long fiber runs and termination costs at the desktop, Everything is short fiber runs in the rack using premade fiber patch cables.*Security - in the off chance something gets stolen.. there is no storage on the portals..*Moving Facilities. - Moving Facilities sucks. having everything in our colo is nice in case we decide to move buildings.. or just even expand to other buildings..which we have done. Its made things way easier and faster to get up and running..*Inventory Checks. Being able to just scan everything in a rack is nice :)*Most important! Moving artists!! We dont have to move machines. Folks can getup and login on any machine with their credentials and they will see the workstation(s)that they have permission to use. This requires a connection broker ***

Downsides.
**No 4k yet**https://communities.teradici.com/questions/8147/4k-pcoip-hardware.html

But we have not had issues working on 4K + work which all of our shows are
Important Notes.
Make sure you have dedicated IPMI setup for each remote workstation.
Machines Crash and being able to remote reboot your machine is paramount.We have a little QT GUI tool that our 24/7 render wranglers can use to reboot artists machines for themin the event of a full lockup.

Gear we use
We use Clear Cube Zero Client Portals.https://www.clearcube.com/product-category/zeroclients/

Specifically the CD2022 ( Displayport Edition) as well as the CD9922 ( DVI Edition)These support 2 Monitors @ 1920x1200 or a single Monitor @ 2560x1600

Workstation wise we use Supermicro 1U Servers.We went with 1U because Racks are Expensive at Colos :) While this might limit the types of GPU's we can use in the future on the workstation as its a 1U server. Not that there is not enough power .. but heat issues. The big issue for us was that the server we chose has 3 PCI Express slots1. for the GPU, 1 for the Teradici Card and 1 for the Mellanox 40/100gig card. We have been using the P4000 that have 8Ggig on board and so far they have been solid performers and best bang of the buckunless you go the GTX route.
We plan on using our GPU farm to essentially offload rendering of GPU locally this keeps our power footprint low on the workstation side Things can get complicated later on with high-density racks balancing cooling at the colo etc..

https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/1028/SYS-1028U-TNRTP_.cfm

We have our own SKU # with them but its loosely based on this link above.E5-2680V4 X2Nvidia P4000Intel NVMe Drives128-256+GB Ram (depending if houdini user etc.. )Mellanox 40/100Gig Card.4 Port Leadtek Teradici Card.
We went with the 4port in the off chance that Teradici Upgrades the Existing Tera2 Chipset to support UltraHD, by combining 2 ports. This would then give us 2 monitors @ UltraHDThis is according to their latest statements below.
Hope that helps!
-S


On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Fabrice Altman <fabrice@studioaka.co.uk> wrote:

Hello,

We are thinking of making the switch to racked 2U workstations for our artists, like this for example :

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-workstations/precision-rack-7000-series-7910/spd/precision-r7910-workstation

No real vendor preference yet though. We are a mid-sized Windows shop, based in the UK, using Maya, Nuke, Adobe, etc.

A/ Can you suggest different vendors that do these types of workstations?

B/ Are there some cons into having the PCs rack mounted, as opposed to under the desk?

C/ I cannot see a 4K compatible Teradici based client. Are they some, or other hardware of the same type, to work remotely with 4K?

Cheers,

F.


To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


0 Plus One's     0 Comments