Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Google Drive going away?
posted by Jean-Francois Panisset  on Sept. 11, 2017, 11 a.m. (2 months, 12 days ago)
8 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Since we're probably not the only ones running Google G Suite here... The Google Drive app is going away, to be replaced by: Drive File Stream and/or Backup and Sync https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2017/09/drive-file-stream-from-google.html Personally I prefer having a complete local cache of my Drive files, and I've never noticed issues with syncing delay, but I'm not a heavy Drive user anyway. JF To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Mark Chernausek @ Sept. 26, 2017, 11:08 p.m.

Aside from the name change and the addition of prompting the user to backup specific local files on their computer, the functionality of Backup&Sync seems to be the same as Drive. Filestream does indeed have an option to keep files offline, but the default is the cloud. It's actually in a rt-click menu. I was apprehensive at first at the rebranding, but no problems so far. Filestream also has functionality for team drives, which is good if the "owner" of google doc leaves the company, etc. 

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Rob LaRose @ Sept. 11, 2017, 2:40 p.m.
Naw, isn't this *good* for them? Pick the files you want local, and the rest is always-available if you're online, presumably even large files efficiently via their Quic protocol or whatever it is.
--Rob

--Rob LaRose
engineer |rock paper scissors
245 5th ave 23rd floor new york ny 10016| O212 255 6446

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 2:27 PM, steve berczik <steveb009@gmail.com> wrote:
this SUX for the world's poor who haven't = offline device space to cloud storage to sync.Apple iTunes went down this ditch which is why just dragging mp3 onto Coby player MUCHmore useful than navigating synced iPods.
One small step for Google/Alphabet shareholders, One GIANT step backwards for us #sad.

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Rob LaRose <rlarose@rockpaperscissors.com> wrote:
Aye, that seems like a must-have if you're going to push the "stream" model.. everything in the cloud unless you need it local.
Seems like the inevitable unification of the online / web and the local / app models.
--Rob

--Rob LaRose

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 1:15 PM, Jean-Francois Panisset <panisset@gmail.com> wrote:
Apparently there is a "Make available offline" option you can control in "Drive File Stream", but I haven't played with it myself yet.

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Greg Dickie <greg@justaguy.ca> wrote:
That's what I got from the link JF sent, yes.
On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Rob LaRose <rlarose@rockpaperscissors.com> wrote:
Backup and Sync is the new / rebranded Google Drive app, though, right? That will sync between local & GDrive?
For those who need offline use, it's the only way, isn't it?

--Rob LaRose

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Jean-Francois Panisset <panisset@gmail.com> wrote:
Since we're probably not the only ones running Google G Suite here...
The Google Drive app is going away, to be replaced by:

Drive File Stream
and/or
Backup and Sync

https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2017/09/drive-file-stream-from-google.html

Personally I prefer having a complete local cache of my Drive files,
and I've never noticed issues with syncing delay, but I'm not a heavy
Drive user anyway.

JF
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--

Greg Dickie
just a guy514-983-5400

Response from Steve Berczik @ Sept. 11, 2017, 2:30 p.m.
this SUX for the world's poor who haven't = offline device space to cloud storage to sync.Apple iTunes went down this ditch which is why just dragging mp3 onto Coby player MUCHmore useful than navigating synced iPods.
One small step for Google/Alphabet shareholders, One GIANT step backwards for us #sad.

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Rob LaRose <rlarose@rockpaperscissors.com> wrote:
Aye, that seems like a must-have if you're going to push the "stream" model.. everything in the cloud unless you need it local.
Seems like the inevitable unification of the online / web and the local / app models.
--Rob

--Rob LaRose

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 1:15 PM, Jean-Francois Panisset <panisset@gmail.com> wrote:
Apparently there is a "Make available offline" option you can control in "Drive File Stream", but I haven't played with it myself yet.

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Rob LaRose <rlarose@rockpaperscissors.com> wrote:
Backup and Sync is the new / rebranded Google Drive app, though, right? That will sync between local & GDrive?

--Rob LaRose

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Jean-Francois Panisset <panisset@gmail.com> wrote:

Drive File Stream
and/or
Backup and Sync

Drive user anyway.

JF

--

Greg Dickie
just a guy514-983-5400

Response from Rob LaRose @ Sept. 11, 2017, 1:35 p.m.
--Rob

--Rob LaRose

--Rob LaRose

Drive File Stream
and/or
Backup and Sync

Drive user anyway.

JF

--

Greg Dickie
just a guy514-983-5400

Response from Jean-Francois Panisset @ Sept. 11, 2017, 1:20 p.m.

--Rob LaRose

Drive File Stream
and/or
Backup and Sync

Drive user anyway.

JF

--

Greg Dickie
just a guy514-983-5400

Response from Greg Dickie @ Sept. 11, 2017, 12:15 p.m.

--Rob LaRose

Drive File Stream
and/or
Backup and Sync

Drive user anyway.

JF

--

Greg Dickie
just a guy514-983-5400

Response from Rob LaRose @ Sept. 11, 2017, 12:10 p.m.

--Rob LaRose

Drive File Stream
and/or
Backup and Sync

Drive user anyway.

JF

Response from Greg Dickie @ Sept. 11, 2017, 11:15 a.m.
I have to say their branding and rebranding stuff is killing me. I was setting up a client with this, you click the link for google drive app and it takes you to backup/sync whatever with no explanation of what that is.
Oh well, could be worse.
Greg

Drive File Stream
and/or
Backup and Sync

Drive user anyway.

JF

--

Greg Dickie
just a guy514-983-5400