Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Isilon NFS question.
posted by Greg Whynott  on Aug. 4, 2017, 11:25 a.m. (4 months, 13 days ago)
14 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
With OneFS, does the /ifs root directory need to be exported? Can I remove that export without causing issues for the sub mounts of it?

eg.

/ifs is exported.
/ifs/project is also a defined export.

if I remove the /ifs export (default) will /ifs/project still be good? I see it was exported here and I'm thinking that may not be ideal.

Just opened a ticket with Isilon a second ago asking same thing, its a race! lol

thanks much and have a great weekend!
greg

ps don't buy nexenta.

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Rob Chang @ Aug. 10, 2017, 8:38 p.m.

Hi Greg,

Julian is correct in saying that /ifs is the default and optional share.

I want to add a comment about InsightIQ.  Depending on the version of OneFS and InsightIQ, InsightIQ may or may not require a NFS mount to the Isilon cluster.

If your OneFS is 8.0 or NEWER, AND that your InsightIQ is version 4.0 or NEWER, then InsightIQ will not need a NFS mount to the Isilon cluster to obtain FSA result set.  InsightIQ v4 will use Platform API to talk to the Isilon cluster (running OneFS 8.0 or later) and retrieve both performance metrics as well as FSA result set over the API (RESTful HTTP calls).

However, if your InsightIQ version is older than v4 OR your OneFS version is older than v8, InsightIQ will require the NFS mount to the cluster to obtain FSA result set for your File System reports.

Hope this helps.

- Rob

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Andrew Siegel @ Aug. 9, 2017, 9 a.m.
We export /ifs/.ifsvar/modules/fsa for InsightIQ, and that only to the InsightIQ server.

On 8/8/17, 5:13 PM, greg whynott wrote:
I ended up re-exporting /ifs,  as read-only and restricted to our 2 backup servers.  The data protection operator has all the jobs setup to access the data via this mount,  which is fine in my books.   I wasn't aware insightIQ needed /ifs,  will look into that now.
-g
On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 2:01 AM, Jeremy Webber <Jeremy.Webber@al.com.au> wrote:
If you use InsightIQ it creates an export of /ifs for its own use. I’ve found experimentally that it is OK to restrict that policy to only the InsightIQ servers.

We also export it to our storage management servers, which are severely login restricted.

Apart from that, there is no reason you should need to export /ifs. Almost certainly a bad idea to make it accessible to workstations etc.

HTH
  Jeremy

> On 5 Aug 2017, at 1:23 am, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> With OneFS,  does the /ifs root directory need to be exported?  Can I remove that export without causing issues for the sub mounts of it?
>
> eg.
>
> /ifs is exported.
> /ifs/project is also a defined export.
>
> if I remove the /ifs export (default) will /ifs/project still be good?   I see it was exported here and I'm thinking that may not be ideal.
>
>
>
> Just opened a ticket with Isilon a second ago asking same thing,  its a race!  lol
>
> thanks much and have a great weekend!
> greg
>
>
>
>
> ps don't buy nexenta.
> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--
Jeremy Webber
Senior Systems Engineer

T: +61 2 9383 4800 (main)
D: +61 2 8310 3577 (direct)
E: Jeremy.Webber@al.com.au

Building 54 / FSA #19, Fox Studios Australia, 38 Driver Avenue
Moore Park, NSW 2021
AUSTRALIA

[LinkedIn] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/animal-logic>   [Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/Animal-Logic-129284263808191/>   [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/AnimalLogic>   [Instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/animallogicstudios/>

[Animal Logic]<http://www.animallogic.com>

www.animallogic.com<http://www.animallogic.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVILEGE NOTICE
This email is intended only to be read or used by the addressee. It is confidential and may contain privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, distribution, disclosure or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this communication are not waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery to you. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and notify us immediately by telephone or email.
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Julian Firminger @ Aug. 9, 2017, 4:30 a.m.
InsightIQ's export is NFS: /ifs/.ifsvar/modules/fsaInsightIQ (or anything else) does not require /ifs NFS export to work. Isilon comes "default" configured with both an SMB and NFS export at /ifs. Both of these can safely be removed.
People have mentioned backup/arch access heavily locked down at /ifs for file operations. Another option for this is VSFTP. You can chroot jail all users to a null directory and allow a single user limited FTP access at /ifs. This strategy is useful for file operations between locations on the same cluster as you can achieve infiniband linerate speeds for copies. Though I imagine SMB3 server-side-copy will make this redundant.

Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 11:13 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
I ended up re-exporting /ifs, as read-only and restricted to our 2 backup servers. The data protection operator has all the jobs setup to access the data via this mount, which is fine in my books. I wasn't aware insightIQ needed /ifs, will look into that now.
-g

If you use InsightIQ it creates an export of /ifs for its own use. Ive found experimentally that it is OK to restrict that policy to only the InsightIQ servers.

We also export it to our storage management servers, which are severely login restricted.

Apart from that, there is no reason you should need to export /ifs. Almost certainly a bad idea to make it accessible to workstations etc.

HTH
Jeremy

>
> With OneFS, does the /ifs root directory need to be exported? Can I remove that export without causing issues for the sub mounts of it?
>
> eg.
>
> /ifs is exported.
>
> if I remove the /ifs export (default) will /ifs/project still be good? I see it was exported here and I'm thinking that may not be ideal.
>
>
>
> Just opened a ticket with Isilon a second ago asking same thing, its a race! lol
>
> greg
>
>
>
>
> ps don't buy nexenta.
> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--
Jeremy Webber
Senior Systems Engineer

Moore Park, NSW 2021
AUSTRALIA

[LinkedIn] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/animal-logic> [Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/Animal-Logic-129284263808191/> [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/AnimalLogic> [Instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/animallogicstudios/>

This email is intended only to be read or used by the addressee. It is confidential and may contain privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, distribution, disclosure or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this communication are not waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery to you. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and notify us immediately by telephone or email.

Response from Greg Whynott @ Aug. 8, 2017, 5:15 p.m.
I ended up re-exporting /ifs, as read-only and restricted to our 2 backup servers. The data protection operator has all the jobs setup to access the data via this mount, which is fine in my books. I wasn't aware insightIQ needed /ifs, will look into that now.
-g
If you use InsightIQ it creates an export of /ifs for its own use. Ive found experimentally that it is OK to restrict that policy to only the InsightIQ servers.

HTH
Jeremy

>
> With OneFS, does the /ifs root directory need to be exported? Can I remove that export without causing issues for the sub mounts of it?
>
> eg.
>
> /ifs is exported.
>
> if I remove the /ifs export (default) will /ifs/project still be good? I see it was exported here and I'm thinking that may not be ideal.
>
>
>
> Just opened a ticket with Isilon a second ago asking same thing, its a race! lol
>
> greg
>
>
>
>
> ps don't buy nexenta.

--
Jeremy Webber
Senior Systems Engineer

Moore Park, NSW 2021
AUSTRALIA

[LinkedIn] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/animal-logic> [Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/Animal-Logic-129284263808191/> [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/AnimalLogic> [Instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/animallogicstudios/>

Response from Jeremy Webber @ Aug. 7, 2017, 2:05 a.m.
If you use InsightIQ it creates an export of /ifs for its own use. Ive found experimentally that it is OK to restrict that policy to only the InsightIQ servers. We also export it to our storage management servers, which are severely login restricted. Apart from that, there is no reason you should need to export /ifs. Almost certainly a bad idea to make it accessible to workstations etc. HTH Jeremy > On 5 Aug 2017, at 1:23 am, greg whynott wrote: > > With OneFS, does the /ifs root directory need to be exported? Can I remove that export without causing issues for the sub mounts of it? > > eg. > > /ifs is exported. > /ifs/project is also a defined export. > > if I remove the /ifs export (default) will /ifs/project still be good? I see it was exported here and I'm thinking that may not be ideal. > > > > Just opened a ticket with Isilon a second ago asking same thing, its a race! lol > > thanks much and have a great weekend! > greg > > > > > ps don't buy nexenta. > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe -- Jeremy Webber Senior Systems Engineer T: +61 2 9383 4800 (main) D: +61 2 8310 3577 (direct) E: Jeremy.Webber@al.com.au Building 54 / FSA #19, Fox Studios Australia, 38 Driver Avenue Moore Park, NSW 2021 AUSTRALIA [LinkedIn] [Facebook] [Twitter] [Instagram] [Animal Logic] www.animallogic.com CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVILEGE NOTICE This email is intended only to be read or used by the addressee. It is confidential and may contain privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, distribution, disclosure or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this communication are not waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery to you. If you have received this email in error, please delete it and notify us immediately by telephone or email. To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Julian Firminger @ Aug. 5, 2017, 2:35 a.m.
I add and then delete /ifs share or export in the system zone during maintenance. It's handy to see the whole shebang sometimes. But terrifying to leave it there in prod.
On 5 Aug. 2017 00:38, "greg whynott" <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
And they would be correct. ;) I'm was/am confident enough that I could of rolled that s*&t back like nothing happened if need be. NFS is forgiving. "hey nice to see you back, lets rock on brah!".

Everything went well, just sent the studio "all clear" message and now it is beer o'clock.

greg

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Rob LaRose <rlarose@rockpaperscissors.com> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 5:54 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
Doing it tonight as its the long weekend here and I'm heading out of town tomorrow.

My supervisors would say that's even worse. :-D

Response from Greg Whynott @ Aug. 4, 2017, 6:40 p.m.
And they would be correct. ;) I'm was/am confident enough that I could of rolled that s*&t back like nothing happened if need be. NFS is forgiving. "hey nice to see you back, lets rock on brah!".

Everything went well, just sent the studio "all clear" message and now it is beer o'clock.

greg

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Rob LaRose <rlarose@rockpaperscissors.com> wrote:
Doing it tonight as its the long weekend here and I'm heading out of town tomorrow.

Response from Rob LaRose @ Aug. 4, 2017, 6 p.m.

Response from Greg Whynott @ Aug. 4, 2017, 5:55 p.m.
Doing it tonight as its the long weekend here and I'm heading out of town tomorrow. I hope! lol.

I just want to disable the /ifs mount. Not sure why it exists... and ensure none of the sub mounts go away. *SHOULD* be uneventful. right?

Isilon support man... "someone will call you within 3 hours sir".. 6 hours later, nothing.

greg

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Rob LaRose <rlarose@rockpaperscissors.com> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Isaac Guenard <isaac.guenard@primefocusworld.com> wrote:
System changes on a friday night before a long weekend? Bold move!

I'm wearing the shirt right now that tells me not to.
https://teespring.com/shop/deploy?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&aid=ts-boosted-pla#pid=369&cid=6513&sid=front

Response from Rob LaRose @ Aug. 4, 2017, 5:45 p.m.

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Isaac Guenard <isaac.guenard@primefocusworld.com> wrote:

I'm wearing the shirt right now that tells me not to.
https://teespring.com/shop/deploy?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&aid=ts-boosted-pla#pid=369&cid=6513&sid=front

Response from Isaac Guenard @ Aug. 4, 2017, 3:50 p.m.

Isaac Guenard
Head of Pipeline
1751 Rue Richardson, 4400 Montreal
C: +1 514 746-9078

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 12:45 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
:)

We got buy in to do it at 6PM tonight, forcing everyone to go home, which is a good thing since its the long weekend. Hoping there will be no surprises.

greg

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Andrew Siegel <abs@blueskystudios.com> wrote:
/ifs doesn't have to be exported. But unless you can be sure that no client is mounting it, I would wait for a maintenance window before removing it. Don't ask me how I know.

On 8/4/17, 11:23 AM, greg whynott wrote:
With OneFS, does the /ifs root directory need to be exported? Can I remove that export without causing issues for the sub mounts of it?

eg.

/ifs is exported.

if I remove the /ifs export (default) will /ifs/project still be good? I see it was exported here and I'm thinking that may not be ideal.

Just opened a ticket with Isilon a second ago asking same thing, its a race! lol

greg

ps don't buy nexenta.

Response from Rory Falloon @ Aug. 4, 2017, 3:35 p.m.
p { margin: 0; }Perhaps `showmount -a` on the cluster itself could show you any direct mounts to /ifs?
Local to the node, but isi_for_array would help you there.

To: "studiosysadmins-discuss" <studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com>
Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 12:45:08 PM
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] Isilon NFS question.

We got buy in to do it at 6PM tonight,  forcing everyone to go home,  which is a good thing since its the long weekend.   Hoping there will be no surprises.

greg

/ifs doesn't have to be exported. But unless you can be sure that no client is mounting it, I would wait for a maintenance window before removing it. Don't ask me how I know.

With OneFS,  does the /ifs root directory need to be exported?  Can I remove that export without causing issues for the sub mounts of it?

eg.

/ifs is exported.

if I remove the /ifs export (default) will /ifs/project still be good?   I see it was exported here and I'm thinking that may not be ideal.

Just opened a ticket with Isilon a second ago asking same thing,  its a race!  lol

greg

ps don't buy nexenta.

Response from Greg Whynott @ Aug. 4, 2017, 12:50 p.m.

We got buy in to do it at 6PM tonight, forcing everyone to go home, which is a good thing since its the long weekend. Hoping there will be no surprises.

greg

eg.

/ifs is exported.

greg

ps don't buy nexenta.

Response from Andrew Siegel @ Aug. 4, 2017, 12:35 p.m.

With OneFS,  does the /ifs root directory need to be exported?  Can I remove that export without causing issues for the sub mounts of it?

eg.

/ifs is exported.

if I remove the /ifs export (default) will /ifs/project still be good?   I see it was exported here and I'm thinking that may not be ideal.

Just opened a ticket with Isilon a second ago asking same thing,  its a race!  lol

greg

ps don't buy nexenta.