Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Nexenta - Anyone still using or considering a SDS solution from them?
posted by Brian Krusic  on July 17, 2017, 3:40 p.m. (9 days ago)
6 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
> On Jul 17, 2017, at 12:20 PM, greg whynott wrote: > > So it was _not_ a choice I made, it was made for me based on economics and nothing to do with experience or technology. Well my find feathered friend, isnt that how its some what done for most of us? Depends on framing, i.e.; 1/2-empty or 1/2-full. My choices are at least 1/2 based/influenced on econ. I think that in your case, an Oracle-ZFS solution would be a very very good eval option. - Brian Every day is a gift Thats why they call it the present" To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Brian Krusic @ July 17, 2017, 5:25 p.m.
Wow, seems to have done all the work for us.
All one has to do is read and follow directions.  Nice link!

- Brian
Sent from my outstanding iPhone 6 on the craptaculous AT&T network.
On Jul 17, 2017, at 2:12 PM, William Sandler <william.sandler@allthingsmedia.com> wrote:

If you want to repurpose the hardware without spending much more money and don't mind getting your hands dirty https://github.com/ewwhite/zfs-ha/wiki .  

William Sandler
All Things Media, LLC
william.sandler@allthingsmedia.com
On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Brian Krusic <brian@krusic.com> wrote:
That's a nice idea.
Seems like a lot of good hardware.

- Brian
On Jul 17, 2017, at 2:05 PM, Todd Smith <todd@sohovfx.com> wrote:

Glad to hear this isn't your production storage array anymore.  Have you thought about repurposing that Dell storage/cpu to something like ScaleIO?
Cheers,
Todd Smith
Head of Information Technology
soho vfx | 40 Hanna Ave. Suite 403, Toronto, Ontario M6K 0C3
office: (416) 516-7863 fax: (416) 516-9682 web: sohovfx.com

To: "studiosysadmins-discuss" <studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2017 4:46:12 PM
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] Nexenta - Anyone still using or considering a SDS solution from them?

Thanks Todd,

you are correct,  they did learn.   there is an untold amount of money loss,  both tangible and intangible.   When shots took 40 minutes to open instead of under a minute,  that causes the artists to become frustrated,  and more rushed to turn in their work on time resulting in less creative effort and 'pickiness'...   How can you be creative when your pissed off and stressed out you may not make the deadline?     This has a trickle down effect that we could talk for an hour about...  reduced confidence,  artists start saving work outside of the pipeline to avoid the slowness,  and so on and so on.  could talk about that for a long time.

We as of about 1 year ago are the proud owners of a good sized Isilon system and from day one till today we have had ZERO ISSUES with it from both stability and performance perspective,  and the reps are very professional.  Its expensive, but it works as advertised.   We wouldn't of had to buy the Isilon if the Nexenta was able to deliver.   So in my eyes those costs are on Nexenta as well.    The company would of gone under if we tried to stick it out in my opinion.   Its such a joy not having to worry if you are going to get a call at night or walk into another shit storm in the morning because of your storage solution.   The Isilon just works.

Make cheap,  pay twice.

greg

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:34 PM, Todd Smith <todd@sohovfx.com> wrote:
I feel for you Greg.  I know you had an uphill battle to fight on new storage infrastructure.  One glimmer of hope may be that given the immense cost and pressure the company faced due to storage infrastructure issues, the ownership may be more lenient when given advice from IT professionals.  
Cheers,

Todd Smith

Sent: Monday, July 17, 2017 3:36:51 PM
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] Nexenta - Anyone still using or considering a SDS        solution from them?

> On Jul 17, 2017, at 12:20 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So it was _not_ a choice I made,  it was made for me based on economics and nothing to do with experience or technology.

Well my find feathered friend, isnt that how its some what done for most of us?

Depends on framing, i.e.; 1/2-empty or 1/2-full.

My choices are at least 1/2 based/influenced on econ.

I think that in your case, an Oracle-ZFS solution would be a very very good eval option.

- Brian

Every day is a gift
        Thats why they call it the present"
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Paul Bibaud @ July 17, 2017, 5:10 p.m.

Has anyone considered QuantaStor by OS Nexus?  I have been working with them for about three years now and their product keeps the promise that Nexenta made and failed at.  I have been replacing many of my Nexenta deployments with it with great success and now many happy customers.  While I do have several happy Nexenta customers, the norm is disappointment.  

To make it even easier, OS Nexus has a script that will convert Nexenta pools to quantastor pools and I have been able to re-deploy even the largest, most complicated deployments in only a couple of hours.  This can all be done with the original hardware so the investment to switch over is less and the customer retains some of their oringinal investment.

Thanks,

PB

Response from Brian Krusic @ July 17, 2017, 5:10 p.m.
That's a nice idea.
Seems like a lot of good hardware.

- Brian
On Jul 17, 2017, at 2:05 PM, Todd Smith <todd@sohovfx.com> wrote:

Glad to hear this isn't your production storage array anymore.  Have you thought about repurposing that Dell storage/cpu to something like ScaleIO?
Cheers,
Todd Smith

Sent: Monday, July 17, 2017 4:46:12 PM
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] Nexenta - Anyone still using or considering a SDS solution from them?

Thanks Todd,

you are correct,  they did learn.   there is an untold amount of money loss,  both tangible and intangible.   When shots took 40 minutes to open instead of under a minute,  that causes the artists to become frustrated,  and more rushed to turn in their work on time resulting in less creative effort and 'pickiness'...   How can you be creative when your pissed off and stressed out you may not make the deadline?     This has a trickle down effect that we could talk for an hour about...  reduced confidence,  artists start saving work outside of the pipeline to avoid the slowness,  and so on and so on.  could talk about that for a long time.

We as of about 1 year ago are the proud owners of a good sized Isilon system and from day one till today we have had ZERO ISSUES with it from both stability and performance perspective,  and the reps are very professional.  Its expensive, but it works as advertised.   We wouldn't of had to buy the Isilon if the Nexenta was able to deliver.   So in my eyes those costs are on Nexenta as well.    The company would of gone under if we tried to stick it out in my opinion.   Its such a joy not having to worry if you are going to get a call at night or walk into another shit storm in the morning because of your storage solution.   The Isilon just works.

Make cheap,  pay twice.

greg

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:34 PM, Todd Smith <todd@sohovfx.com> wrote:
I feel for you Greg.  I know you had an uphill battle to fight on new storage infrastructure.  One glimmer of hope may be that given the immense cost and pressure the company faced due to storage infrastructure issues, the ownership may be more lenient when given advice from IT professionals.  
Cheers,

Todd Smith

Sent: Monday, July 17, 2017 3:36:51 PM
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] Nexenta - Anyone still using or considering a SDS        solution from them?

> On Jul 17, 2017, at 12:20 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So it was _not_ a choice I made,  it was made for me based on economics and nothing to do with experience or technology.

Well my find feathered friend, isnt that how its some what done for most of us?

Depends on framing, i.e.; 1/2-empty or 1/2-full.

My choices are at least 1/2 based/influenced on econ.

I think that in your case, an Oracle-ZFS solution would be a very very good eval option.

- Brian

Every day is a gift
        Thats why they call it the present"

Response from Paul Bibaud @ July 17, 2017, 5:09 p.m.

Has anyone considered QuantaStor by OS Nexus?  I have been working with them for about three years now and their product keeps the promise that Nexenta made and failed at.  I have been replacing many of my Nexenta deployments with it with great success and now many happy customers.  While I do have several happy Nexenta customers, the norm is disappointment.  

To make it even easier, OS Nexus has a script that will convert Nexenta pools to quantastor pools and I have been able to re-deploy even the largest, most complicated deployments in only a couple of hours.  This can all be done with the original hardware so the investment to switch over is less and the customer retains some of their oringinal investment.

Thanks,

PB

Response from Paul Bibaud @ July 17, 2017, 5:08 p.m.

Thanks,

PB

Response from Brian Krusic @ July 17, 2017, 3:45 p.m.
And lastly, there is only one way to look at this, as one of success.
I mean that now you have a 2nd chance to do it right due to your heavy experience in this matter.
Over half my experience is based on utter failure which I am very glad to have had.
- Brian
Every day is a gift Thats why they call it the present"
On Jul 17, 2017, at 12:20 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
Brian said:

However with your cluster arrangement and other needs, I can see why you chose a seemingly promising fee based option.

Let me be clear on this,  while I was very happy to see someone pushing commercial solutions based on open source products (in this case ZFS which seemed like a god send of a file system/ vol management solution at the time) it was far from my first choice.   Being in the M&E sector,  deadlines are a way of life as is high performance backends.  Not many sectors push the hardware as hard as we can/do daily. 

At the time we had our main file systems on BlueArc.      When it came time to expand I requested a quote from HDS for some additional disk shelves,  one more head,  and licenses to use.  They came back with a quote for 1.1 million.   That was so far out of the park I wondered if they thought it was a joke or they were smoking some good crack.  ( funny,  afterwards when they knew we were going else where that quote went from 1.1 million down to 700k and below quickly).

This prompted us to look elsewhere.   To make another long story shorter,  the ownership insisted we went with the cheapest,  ignoring my resistance and advice for weeks about avoiding going with an 'unknown' or 'unproven' vendor or technology for this particular role in the company. 

So it was _not_ a choice I made,  it was made for me based on economics and nothing to do with experience or technology.   That said,  it was easy for me to get behind as it was based on an opensource solution.  The thinking at the time was "yeah,  stick it to the over priced vendors,  start a revolution in our sector,  F HDS,  or 110,000 dollar nodes anytime you want to expand!!".      And the truth is I *REALLY* wanted to see it and them succeed.  I kept the horror stories to myself for a very long time in an effort to see this revolution gain traction.  

That said,  I still think ZFS is one kick ass solution and I think everyone should be considering/evaluating it.    This disk/data stuff isn't black magic anymore.   Its crazy how vendors (Isilon, NetApp, HDS and so on) want to charge you a license for everything,   protocals,  reports,  moving data from one solution to another..   Its such gouging.   They work on the "well you paid this much already,  this little hump won't be so bad,  and besides,  which options do you have?".

If I were to buy commercial storage again,  I'd be looking at Sun/Oracle and Isilon,  unless the vendor could point me to about 10 people on this list that are using it already without major show stoppers.

-g