Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Low cost 3D printers?
posted by Brian Krusic  on Jan. 9, 2017, 6 p.m. (12 days ago)
19 Responses     0 Plus One's     1 Comments  
Hi,
Does any one have experience with sub $500 3D printers?
Will probably not print anything over 1:12 scale, mostly 1:24 scale.
- Brian
A good day is when no one shows up... and you don't have to go anywhere."

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Brian Krusic @ Jan. 17, 2017, 10:55 a.m.
Nice gems, thanks Jok.
- Brian
On Jan 17, 2017, at 10:45 AM, Joachim Thuau <epac@korigan.net> wrote:
The delta printers are not good candidates as a first printer. They are hard to build and calibrate properly. I bought a Chinese one last year, and wasted a lot of time/money only to realize the part they sent were crap, and to replace all the bits I needed to that would make it work, I could buy another one.
That being said, delta printers can be excellent printers (fast, and accurate). If you choose the delta route, get something that's pre-assembled.
Jok
On Jan 17, 2017, at 6:43 AM, Brian Krusic <brian@krusic.com> wrote:

Wow, cool.  I love the heatsink idea.
Thanks man.
- Brian
On Jan 17, 2017, at 9:38 AM, Saham Ali <saham.ali@gmail.com> wrote:
ABS, PLA, HIPS(depending on hotend) Yeah, I just have a plastic bag sitting over top right now, I used to have a plexi enclosure at the workshop.  You have to be careful not to overheat the stepper motors, so I installed some heatsinks on them since its all enclosed.
On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Brian Krusic <brian@krusic.com> wrote:
The Lulz seem killer.
Do you print with ABS or HIPS?
Seems like many are building enclosures for heat retention to prevent warpage.

- Brian
On Jan 17, 2017, at 8:52 AM, Brian Krusic <brian@krusic.com> wrote:
Hi,
This is a very good current review review of top printers;
https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-3d-printers?id=adw&gclid=CPKK3ZKdyNECFVg9gQodL14GdA
They do mention the Prusa as the best bang for the buck.
Number 10 on the list is a delta printer which seem cool as they have a very large printer area.
At any rate, seems like 3D printing really is exploding with some wonderful choices for the consumer in part due to the reprap movement.
- Brian
On Jan 13, 2017, at 1:27 PM, Andrew Spurbeck <andrew@rfx.com> wrote:
Send it back..

I've worked on Makerbot's, they are packaged nice but they lock you into their ecosystem.  Over time they are more expensive to operate.

You can get just as good performance with a Dremel, Flashforge or Prusa i3.

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

On 1/12/2017 8:10 PM, Andrew Kim wrote:

I just ordered new MakerBot Replicator Plus and going to sell my M3D printer. I need a 3D printer that can print much bigger sizes.

I can bring it over to RFX and leave it to Andrew to show you if you want.

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--
         ,\|//,
        ( o - )
-oOO--(_)--Ooo-----------------
Saham Ali
Founder/Systems EngineerDvNT Technologies
saham@dvnttechnologies.com
407.729.3584 - Direct

.ooO
  (    )     Ooo.
--\  ( ------(    )-------------------
    \_)       )  /
              (_/ To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Joachin Thuau @ Jan. 17, 2017, 10:50 a.m.
The delta printers are not good candidates as a first printer. They are hard to build and calibrate properly. I bought a Chinese one last year, and wasted a lot of time/money only to realize the part they sent were crap, and to replace all the bits I needed to that would make it work, I could buy another one.
That being said, delta printers can be excellent printers (fast, and accurate). If you choose the delta route, get something that's pre-assembled.
Jok
On Jan 17, 2017, at 6:43 AM, Brian Krusic <brian@krusic.com> wrote:

Thanks man.
- Brian
ABS, PLA, HIPS(depending on hotend) Yeah, I just have a plastic bag sitting over top right now, I used to have a plexi enclosure at the workshop.  You have to be careful not to overheat the stepper motors, so I installed some heatsinks on them since its all enclosed.
The Lulz seem killer.

- Brian
Hi,
Number 10 on the list is a delta printer which seem cool as they have a very large printer area.
At any rate, seems like 3D printing really is exploding with some wonderful choices for the consumer in part due to the reprap movement.
- Brian
Send it back..

I've worked on Makerbot's, they are packaged nice but they lock you into their ecosystem.  Over time they are more expensive to operate.

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

I just ordered new MakerBot Replicator Plus and going to sell my M3D printer. I need a 3D printer that can print much bigger sizes.

--
         ,\|//,
        ( o - )
Saham Ali
407.729.3584 - Direct

.ooO
  (    )     Ooo.
    \_)       )  /
              (_/ To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Brian Krusic @ Jan. 17, 2017, 9:45 a.m.
Thanks man.
- Brian
The Lulz seem killer.

- Brian
Hi,
- Brian
Send it back..

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

--
         ,\|//,
        ( o - )
Saham Ali
407.729.3584 - Direct

.ooO
  (    )     Ooo.
    \_)       )  /

Response from Brian Krusic @ Jan. 17, 2017, 9:40 a.m.
The Lulz seem killer.

- Brian
Hi,
- Brian
Send it back..

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Response from Saham Ali @ Jan. 17, 2017, 9:40 a.m.
ABS, PLA, HIPS(depending on hotend) Yeah, I just have a plastic bag sitting over top right now, I used to have a plexi enclosure at the workshop. You have to be careful not to overheat the stepper motors, so I installed some heatsinks on them since its all enclosed.
The Lulz seem killer.

- Brian
Hi,
- Brian
Send it back..

I've worked on Makerbot's, they are packaged nice but they lock you into their ecosystem. Over time they are more expensive to operate.

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

--
,\|//,
( o - )
Saham Ali
407.729.3584 - Direct

.ooO
( ) Ooo.
--\ ( ------( )-------------------
\_) ) /
(_/

Response from Saham Ali @ Jan. 17, 2017, 9:35 a.m.
Lulzbot arent cheap, but one of the best FDM style printers out there.
Ive got 3, rock solid, and super reliable. Not all the bells and whistles of autocalib that the prusa offers, but still good.
AO-101TAZ1TAZ6
On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 8:52 AM, Brian Krusic <brian@krusic.com> wrote:
Hi,
- Brian
Send it back..

I've worked on Makerbot's, they are packaged nice but they lock you into their ecosystem. Over time they are more expensive to operate.

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

--
,\|//,
( o - )
Saham Ali
407.729.3584 - Direct

.ooO
( ) Ooo.
\_) ) /
(_/

Response from Brian Krusic @ Jan. 17, 2017, 8:55 a.m.
Hi,
- Brian
Send it back..

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Response from Andrew Spurbeck @ Jan. 13, 2017, 1:30 p.m.
Send it back..

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Response from Brian Krusic @ Jan. 13, 2017, 1:15 p.m.
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the very kind offer.
However I need a flat or horizontal print surface of 7- 8.

- Brian
On Jan 12, 2017, at 11:10 PM, Andrew Kim <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Response from Andrew Kim @ Jan. 12, 2017, 11:10 p.m.

Response from Brian Krusic @ Jan. 12, 2017, 2:45 p.m.
Mmmm nice.
Alphanumeric string, how cute!

- Brian
Sent from my outstanding iPhone 6 on the craptaculous AT&T network.
On Jan 12, 2017, at 2:32 PM, Andrew Spurbeck <andrew@rfx.com> wrote:

Here you go :)

c99c49da4c38af669dea436d3e73780dfdb6c1ecf9958baa52960e8baee30e73

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

On 1/11/2017 9:13 PM, Brandon Lindauer wrote:
Andrew, I heard you were printing money. Can you print me some bitcoins? I need them to buy more internets. 

On Jan 11, 2017, at 6:05 PM, Andrew Spurbeck <andrew@rfx.com> wrote:

haha no,

printing paper money went out of style, so now I'm printing dollar coins.  :)

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

On 1/11/2017 4:27 PM, Brian Krusic wrote:
Cool.
What made you get a 3D printer?
Does Cliff want you to make him some doughnuts?
- Brian
On Jan 11, 2017, at 7:12 PM, Andrew Spurbeck <andrew@rfx.com> wrote:
I don't have anything impressive to show on the new printer since I just got it running a few days ago.  But I do have something simple I can show.

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

On 1/11/2017 4:04 PM, Brian Krusic wrote:
Yo Drew Dawg,
Can you post some work done on that thing?
- Brian
On Jan 11, 2017, at 1:12 PM, Andrew Spurbeck <andrew@rfx.com> wrote:
Just assembled a Prusa i3 kit from Amazon ($380) recently.  Works just as good as my more expensive Dremel.

Whichever rout you go, I recommend using Simplify 3D for slicing.

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

On 1/9/2017 2:56 PM, Brian Krusic wrote:
Hi,
- Brian

0 Plus One's     1 Comments  

Response from Andrew Spurbeck @ Jan. 12, 2017, 2:35 p.m.
Here you go :)

c99c49da4c38af669dea436d3e73780dfdb6c1ecf9958baa52960e8baee30e73

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

On 1/11/2017 9:13 PM, Brandon Lindauer wrote:
Andrew, I heard you were printing money. Can you print me some bitcoins? I need them to buy more internets.

haha no,

printing paper money went out of style, so now I'm printing dollar coins. :)

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Cool.
- Brian
I don't have anything impressive to show on the new printer since I just got it running a few days ago. But I do have something simple I can show.

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Yo Drew Dawg,
- Brian
Just assembled a Prusa i3 kit from Amazon ($380) recently. Works just as good as my more expensive Dremel.

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Hi,
- Brian

Response from Brandon Lindauer @ Jan. 12, 2017, 12:15 a.m.

haha no,

printing paper money went out of style, so now I'm printing dollar coins.  :)

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Cool.
- Brian
I don't have anything impressive to show on the new printer since I just got it running a few days ago.  But I do have something simple I can show.

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Yo Drew Dawg,
- Brian
Just assembled a Prusa i3 kit from Amazon ($380) recently.  Works just as good as my more expensive Dremel.

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Hi,
- Brian

Response from Andrew Spurbeck @ Jan. 11, 2017, 9:10 p.m.
haha no,

printing paper money went out of style, so now I'm printing dollar coins. :)

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Cool.
- Brian
I don't have anything impressive to show on the new printer since I just got it running a few days ago. But I do have something simple I can show.

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Yo Drew Dawg,
- Brian
Just assembled a Prusa i3 kit from Amazon ($380) recently. Works just as good as my more expensive Dremel.

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Hi,
- Brian

Response from Brian Krusic @ Jan. 11, 2017, 7:30 p.m.
Cool.
- Brian

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Yo Drew Dawg,
- Brian

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Hi,
- Brian

Response from Andrew Spurbeck @ Jan. 11, 2017, 7:15 p.m.

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Yo Drew Dawg,
- Brian

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Hi,
- Brian

Response from Brian Krusic @ Jan. 11, 2017, 7:05 p.m.
Yo Drew Dawg,
- Brian

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Hi,
- Brian

Response from Saham Ali @ Jan. 11, 2017, 1:20 p.m.
+1 Simplify3D
On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 1:12 PM, Andrew Spurbeck <andrew@rfx.com> wrote:

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Hi,
- Brian

--
,\|//,
( o - )
Saham Ali
407.729.3584 - Direct

.ooO
( ) Ooo.
\_) ) /
(_/

Response from Andrew Spurbeck @ Jan. 11, 2017, 1:15 p.m.

-=Andrew Spurbeck=-
RFX

Hi,
- Brian