Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Rendering in Google Cloud & cost/billing
posted by Rob LaRose  on Jan. 4, 2017, 10:15 a.m. (3 months, 21 days ago)
6 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Good morning!
Is anyone else using Google Cloud Compute for render farm expansion?
We're doing a bit of it, and I'm now trying to work out the best way to accurately report our direct costs on a per-job/client basis. Doing it at the renderfarm manager level isn't ideal since Google applies some different rates and discounts based on sustained use, pre-emptible VMs, etc.
Wondering if anyone has found the easy way before we start inventing the wheel.
--Rob

--rob larose| engineer | rock paper scissors |212-255-6446|www.rockpaperscissors.com

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Anonymous @ Jan. 11, 2017, 1:10 p.m.
Not to hijack this thread but Bjorn it would be great too if you could query the "Billing" metric that's available on the dashboard. As of now the billing API can not give you that number, I'd LOVE to be able to get that metric into a graph for all our finance people to look at. 
In terms of billing per client, I know (think) AWS allows you to tag the VM's used for a specific job, might be a good idea to get the same functionality in Google. 
-Tom

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] on behalf of Bjorn Leffler [content@studiosysadmins.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 7:08 PM
To: studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] Rendering in Google Cloud & cost/billing

(disclaimer: I work for Google (cloud). I run a renderfarm in the cloud and advise studios around the world)

Are all your render nodes only using pre-emptible VMs? If they are, predicting your costs should be straightforward:

• Render hours are a flat cost per core hour, at the lowest possible price, 80% discount.
  • You probably have a few infrastructure (file / license / asset mgnt / dispatcher) servers, which should run on regular VMs and get the sustained discounts.
  • I use the Google Cloud Calculator to estimate what a VM costs, including the sustained use discounts.

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Bjorn Leffler @ Jan. 4, 2017, 8:08 p.m.

(disclaimer: I work for Google (cloud). I run a renderfarm in the cloud and advise studios around the world)

Are all your render nodes only using pre-emptible VMs? If they are, predicting your costs should be straightforward:

• Render hours are a flat cost per core hour, at the lowest possible price, 80% discount.
  • You probably have a few infrastructure (file / license / asset mgnt / dispatcher) servers, which should run on regular VMs and get the sustained discounts.
  • I use the Google Cloud Calculator to estimate what a VM costs, including the sustained use discounts.

Response from Rob LaRose @ Jan. 4, 2017, 6:50 p.m.
Hi Ludo,
Your website names AWS. We're exclusively using Google Compute.

--Rob
====This message was composedentirely with my right thumb.Please excuse any typos.
On Jan 4, 2017, at 6:38 PM, Ludovic Francois <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hi Rob!

We have been working on this problematic with TrackIt (www.trackit.io)for last couple of years with AWS and GCP here with our clients in Los Angeles. I would be happy to jump in quick call to show you what we have been building and get your feedback about it.

Best Regards,

Ludo

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Ludovic Francois @ Jan. 4, 2017, 6:38 p.m.

Hi Rob!

We have been working on this problematic with TrackIt (www.trackit.io) for last couple of years with AWS and GCP here with our clients in Los Angeles. I would be happy to jump in quick call to show you what we have been building and get your feedback about it.

Best Regards,

Ludo

Response from Anonymous @ Jan. 4, 2017, 12:10 p.m.
Good luck with that. But if you do find a solution please let me know
P
On 4 Jan 2017 7:11 am, "Rob LaRose" <rlarose@rockpaperscissors.com> wrote:

Good morning!
We're doing a bit of it, and I'm now trying to work out the best way to accurately report our direct costs on a per-job/client basis. Doing it at the renderfarm manager level isn't ideal since Google applies some different rates and discounts based on sustained use, pre-emptible VMs, etc.
--Rob

--rob larose| engineer | rock paper scissors |212-255-6446|www.rockpaperscissors.com

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Anonymous @ Jan. 4, 2017, noon
We don't have the need to bill per-job/client at the moment, but we did look into it, and the best we could come up with, without doing some serious work on our side, was to create different projects. Thats not a great solution, and one we wouldn't be happy with.
Thanks
-Brent

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 7:11 AM, Rob LaRose <rlarose@rockpaperscissors.com> wrote:

Good morning!
--Rob