Sponsors
Sponsor Products
HP RGS
posted by Anonymous  on Nov. 2, 2016, 5:30 a.m. (1 year, 11 months, 19 days ago)
12 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Hallopeeps!

Anyone using HP RGS (http://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/remote-graphics-software.html) in anger? It's always been on the radar for me to try out, but I've never jumped in.

Now they're boasting 60 FPS and native Wacom support, it's looking more tempting.

Anyone using this in place of say, Terradici?

Pete
--

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Julian Firminger @ Oct. 18, 2017, 10:50 a.m.
Having said that, someone said the whole of The Hulk was cut remotely using it... I think this might be a myth created by HP's marketing department.

Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 4:36 PM, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, everything you said sounds like the general narrative. Which is good. I think we'll give RGS a miss for this situation.

Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Isaac Guenard <isaac.guenard@primefocusworld.com> wrote:
It's a mix of Framecycler 2011, AVID and Premiere - depending on task. Our workflow doesn't really include audio, and I honestly can't imagine using it for a 'proper edit session' with audio and consistent playback. Your experience there sounds like what I would expect.
For that sort of work, we use Nevion's TVIPS (TVG450) to send the SDI streams between sites. So the editor remotes into the editorial system to control the interface using NoMachine or HP RGS, but the visual and the audio is coming over the TVIPS

Isaac Guenard
Head of Pipeline
1751 Rue Richardson, 4400 Montreal
C: +1 514 746-9078

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 10:05 AM, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
The application would be offline edit / producorial. Our first test had unusable audio glitching and poor video performance.What NLE are they using?

Julian Firminger

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Isaac Guenard <isaac.guenard@primefocusworld.com> wrote:
We use HP RGS so that our editors in Montreal can cover shifts in Vancouver. They don't use HP RGS for review of the content so much as they use it to build timelines, run QC on turnovers and ingest new material. I'm not sure how well it would work if the goal was review of the media and stable framerate was a concern.I've also used it to allow artists to remote into workstations around the world and extract assets from shots in Nuke.
Stability of connection is good and once installed it requires almost no attention from our engineers.
I can speak to the editors more about their experience if you need more information..

Isaac Guenard
Head of Pipeline

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 3:49 AM, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
Bumping this thread. Anyone using RGS for video playback (editorial)?

Julian Firminger

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 9:10 AM, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Jamie,
Can you share what res/fps/bandwidth, what apps you're supporting? What RGS version?We area HP shop which is a bonus.

Julian Firminger

Snr. Systems Administrator,United Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 9:38 PM, Jamie Darville <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

We use RGS for our LA office, they use machines in Montreal, it works well for us, a lot better than Teradici did.

We aren't an HP shop either, it probably works better if all your workstations are also HP as they can better support it, because we use a lot of TitanX's which are not supported by RGS and we ran into a lot of problems getting it working initially.

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Julian Firminger @ Oct. 18, 2017, 10:40 a.m.
Yes, everything you said sounds like the general narrative. Which is good. I think we'll give RGS a miss for this situation.

Julian Firminger

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Isaac Guenard <isaac.guenard@primefocusworld.com> wrote:
It's a mix of Framecycler 2011, AVID and Premiere - depending on task. Our workflow doesn't really include audio, and I honestly can't imagine using it for a 'proper edit session' with audio and consistent playback. Your experience there sounds like what I would expect.
For that sort of work, we use Nevion's TVIPS (TVG450) to send the SDI streams between sites. So the editor remotes into the editorial system to control the interface using NoMachine or HP RGS, but the visual and the audio is coming over the TVIPS

Isaac Guenard
Head of Pipeline

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 10:05 AM, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
The application would be offline edit / producorial. Our first test had unusable audio glitching and poor video performance.What NLE are they using?

Julian Firminger

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Isaac Guenard <isaac.guenard@primefocusworld.com> wrote:
We use HP RGS so that our editors in Montreal can cover shifts in Vancouver. They don't use HP RGS for review of the content so much as they use it to build timelines, run QC on turnovers and ingest new material. I'm not sure how well it would work if the goal was review of the media and stable framerate was a concern.I've also used it to allow artists to remote into workstations around the world and extract assets from shots in Nuke.
Stability of connection is good and once installed it requires almost no attention from our engineers.
I can speak to the editors more about their experience if you need more information..

Isaac Guenard
Head of Pipeline

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 3:49 AM, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:

Julian Firminger

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 9:10 AM, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Jamie,
Can you share what res/fps/bandwidth, what apps you're supporting? What RGS version?We area HP shop which is a bonus.

Julian Firminger

Snr. Systems Administrator,United Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 9:38 PM, Jamie Darville <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

We use RGS for our LA office, they use machines in Montreal, it works well for us, a lot better than Teradici did.

We aren't an HP shop either, it probably works better if all your workstations are also HP as they can better support it, because we use a lot of TitanX's which are not supported by RGS and we ran into a lot of problems getting it working initially.

Response from Isaac Guenard @ Oct. 18, 2017, 10:20 a.m.

Isaac Guenard
Head of Pipeline

Julian Firminger

Isaac Guenard
Head of Pipeline

Julian Firminger

Hey Jamie,

Julian Firminger

Response from Julian Firminger @ Oct. 18, 2017, 10:10 a.m.

Julian Firminger

Isaac Guenard
Head of Pipeline

Julian Firminger

Hey Jamie,

Julian Firminger

Response from Isaac Guenard @ Oct. 18, 2017, 9:45 a.m.

Isaac Guenard
Head of Pipeline

Julian Firminger

Hey Jamie,

Julian Firminger

Response from Julian Firminger @ Oct. 18, 2017, 3:50 a.m.

Julian Firminger

Hey Jamie,

Julian Firminger

Response from Julian Firminger @ Nov. 8, 2016, 3:15 a.m.
Hey Jamie,

Julian Firminger

Response from Jamie Darville @ Nov. 7, 2016, 3:38 p.m.

Response from Michael Turnbull @ Nov. 3, 2016, 5:30 a.m.

I'm not using the latest due to the changes in licensing. I've tried it, but it was not full 60. For full 60, teradici works well with the proper dithering settings.

On Nov 3, 2016 1:53 AM, "julian firminger" <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
@ Michael. Really? You're running this latest version? I ask because that's what made me think we could give it another crack.Can you relate some detail on why 60fps isnt working for me. If it isnt then you just saved me a bunch of lab time. :)

Julian Firminger

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Michael Turnbull <michael.w.turnbull@gmail.com> wrote:

RGS works great, but 60fps is a lie.

On Nov 2, 2016 7:47 AM, "Saker Klippsten" <sakerk@gmail.com> wrote:
We use both!All artists machines are Tera2 PCoIP. 1:1. If they want to share their desktop to Collab with artist(s) or supervisor in another office, they use RGS. We have tried all the other stuff it sux in comparison as far as interactivity goes. The interface is not so great and layout of option etc.. could use an upgrade but the ability adjust your quality easily is nice. The interface just gets weird with multi screen. Wish they had a better workflow/interface for that

Sent from my iPhone
On Nov 2, 2016, at 2:27 AM, Peter Smith <peter.smith@framestore.com> wrote:

Hallopeeps!

Anyone using HP RGS (http://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/remote-graphics-software.html) in anger? It's always been on the radar for me to try out, but I've never jumped in.

Now they're boasting 60 FPS and native Wacom support, it's looking more tempting.

Pete
--

Response from Julian Firminger @ Nov. 3, 2016, 4:55 a.m.
@ Michael. Really? You're running this latest version? I ask because that's what made me think we could give it another crack.Can you relate some detail on why 60fps isnt working for me. If it isnt then you just saved me a bunch of lab time. :)

Julian Firminger

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Michael Turnbull <michael.w.turnbull@gmail.com> wrote:

We use both!All artists machines are Tera2 PCoIP. 1:1. If they want to share their desktop to Collab with artist(s) or supervisor in another office, they use RGS. We have tried all the other stuff it sux in comparison as far as interactivity goes. The interface is not so great and layout of option etc.. could use an upgrade but the ability adjust your quality easily is nice. The interface just gets weird with multi screen. Wish they had a better workflow/interface for that

Sent from my iPhone

Hallopeeps!

Pete
--

Response from Michael Turnbull @ Nov. 2, 2016, 1:35 p.m.

Sent from my iPhone

Hallopeeps!

Pete
--

Response from Saker Klippsten @ Nov. 2, 2016, 10:50 a.m.
We use both!All artists machines are Tera2 PCoIP. 1:1.  If they want to share their desktop to Collab with artist(s) or supervisor in another office, they use RGS.  We have tried all the other stuff it sux in comparison as far as interactivity goes. The interface is not so great and layout of option etc.. could use an upgrade but the ability adjust your quality easily is nice. The interface just gets weird with multi screen. Wish they had a better workflow/interface for that

Sent from my iPhone

Hallopeeps!

Pete
--