Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Brocade vs HPE vs Others
posted by Zorion Terrell  on July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m. (2 years, 3 months, 5 days ago)
16 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Hey All,

We’re moving to a brand new building later this year and are going to build the network infrastructure from the ground up. Rare opportunity to mostly buy all new switches and start clean. We’ve traditionally used HPE Comware switches in the company (which I quite like) but of course are looking at other options.

Brocade is our main other option we’re looking at (and I know the guys pitching it will see this email… Kris….). My experience with Brocade is limited to the FCX and ICX Switches that came with an acquisition. The pitch is of course that Brocade is used heavily in M&E and the power of the VDX Switches and the “Fabric”.

If I stick with HPE Comware I maintain consistency across the continent for networking (and I can save money because I can make use of hardware that can be reused in the new building). If I go Brocade, it’s all new (and even with great pricing, ultimately more expensive). I can justify the costs if I’ve done the research and make an informed decision.

SO my question(s) to you, the SSA Community, what networking vendors do you prefer? What would you do in my scenario? Should I be looking at a different vendor entirely?

Thanks and Happy Canada Day to the Canadians and Happy 4th of July to the Americans on the list!

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

e: zorion.terrell@dhxmedia.com

t: 604-684-2363 | m: 604-562-5148

600-190 Alexander Street

Vancouver, BC Canada V6A 1B5

Signature-10-Year-Logo_Final

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Jeremy Lang @ Aug. 8, 2016, 5:10 p.m.
One great thing that most don't offer is that you can do absolutely everything Brocade if you choose to. POE, administrative desktops, 10g to artist desktops, 40g server switch fabric... Rukus WiFi now. (And your SAN fabric too.) The more you do at once the bigger the discount!
They also have some things like BIDI for 40g over single fiber pair (others charge a fortune for that optic or only have MTP/MPO options) and a lot of other interesting options (40g to 4x SFP+ breakout cables in up to 10m).
I think only Cisco has a similar breadth of product, but their prices far exceed and their service sounds like it is now far below Brocade's. And Brocade has real chops in M&E in addition to the great support.
I'm rather happy with a recent rather large purchase and implementation.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 9:24 PM, Zorion Terrell <Zorion.Terrell@dhxmedia.com> wrote:

Thanks everyone for the input!

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

600-190 Alexander Street

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of Rory Falloon
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2016 4:56 PM
To: studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com

Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] Brocade vs HPE vs Others

(This was obviously supposed to be reply to Zorion privately.. long day).

As you were.

RORY FALLOON

SNR. SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR

Phone: 416-595-6222 x290

MRXFX.com

Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2016 7:54:35 PM

Hey Zorion.

I believe we met at the brocade event in San Jose...

We're moving in September/October also and have decided to build our new network completely Brocade. We're moving from Extreme to Brocade.

When is your move happening?

RORY FALLOON

MRXFX.com

To: "discuss@studiosysadmins.com" <studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 1:11:52 PM
Subject: [SSA-Discuss] Brocade vs HPE vs Others

Hey All,

Were moving to a brand new building later this year and are going to build the network infrastructure from the ground up. Rare opportunity to mostly buy all new switches and start clean. Weve traditionally used HPE Comware switches in the company (which I quite like) but of course are looking at other options.

Brocade is our main other option were looking at (and I know the guys pitching it will see this email Kris.). My experience with Brocade is limited to the FCX and ICX Switches that came with an acquisition. The pitch is of course that Brocade is used heavily in M&E and the power of the VDX Switches and the Fabric.

If I stick with HPE Comware I maintain consistency across the continent for networking (and I can save money because I can make use of hardware that can be reused in the new building). If I go Brocade, its all new (and even with great pricing, ultimately more expensive). I can justify the costs if Ive done the research and make an informed decision.

SO my question(s) to you, the SSA Community, what networking vendors do you prefer? What would you do in my scenario? Should I be looking at a different vendor entirely?

Thanks and Happy Canada Day to the Canadians and Happy 4th of July to the Americans on the list!

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

600-190 Alexander Street

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Zorion Terrell @ July 22, 2016, 12:30 a.m.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

600-190 Alexander Street

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of Rory Falloon
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2016 4:56 PM

(This was obviously supposed to be reply to Zorion privately.. long day).

As you were.

RORY FALLOON

MRXFX.com

Hey Zorion.

We're moving in September/October also and have decided to build our new network completely Brocade. We're moving from Extreme to Brocade.

RORY FALLOON

MRXFX.com

Hey All,

Were moving to a brand new building later this year and are going to build the network infrastructure from the ground up. Rare opportunity to mostly buy all new switches and start clean. Weve traditionally used HPE Comware switches in the company (which I quite like) but of course are looking at other options.

Brocade is our main other option were looking at (and I know the guys pitching it will see this email Kris.). My experience with Brocade is limited to the FCX and ICX Switches that came with an acquisition. The pitch is of course that Brocade is used heavily in M&E and the power of the VDX Switches and the Fabric.

If I stick with HPE Comware I maintain consistency across the continent for networking (and I can save money because I can make use of hardware that can be reused in the new building). If I go Brocade, its all new (and even with great pricing, ultimately more expensive). I can justify the costs if Ive done the research and make an informed decision.

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

600-190 Alexander Street

Response from Rory Falloon @ July 21, 2016, 8 p.m.
p { margin: 0; }(This was obviously supposed to be reply to Zorion privately.. long day).
As you were.
RORY FALLOONSNR. SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR

MRXFX.com

p { margin: 0; }Hey Zorion.

MRXFX.com

Hey All,

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

600-190 Alexander Street

Response from Rory Falloon @ July 21, 2016, 7:55 p.m.
p { margin: 0; }Hey Zorion.

MRXFX.com

Hey All,

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

600-190 Alexander Street

Response from Brian Krusic @ July 21, 2016, 5:50 p.m.
I was going to eval Juniper as they had just come out with there switch line but went with Foundry.  They were gonna give me a killer deal as well.
Wished I had gone Juni as they seem to have more life span etc...
Back then I was a Foundry fan boy but since they got bought out by Brocade, no more.

- Brian
A good day is when no one shows up... and you don't have to go anywhere."
On Jul 21, 2016, at 2:26 PM, Andreas Martin Aanerud <a.m.aanerud@gmail.com> wrote:
We have used Hp and Cisco at the office, 
But recently I fell kinda in love with juniper , the EX4600 has some cool options. ( 24x 10gb, and 4x 40gb ) and EX2300 at the edges. 
Tested it at The Gathering ( www.gathering.org ) and it worked perfectly. 
You might also want to check out Meru or Rocus for wireless. 

Btw , do you want to go "kick ass hardcore" check out FreeBSD solutions, and build the master switch you're self ;) 

Mvh
Andreas
909 78 137//sendt fra mobil
Den 19. jul. 2016 kl. 15.29 skrev Saker Klippsten <sakerk@gmail.com>:

Yes joking of course ....
Unless you are buying a switch from your local bodega - net gear , linkys, I think pretty much all major- (brocade, fell f10, Mellanox, HP Cisco, switches are non blocking and wire speed.  
Not to veer too far off topic anyone looking at SDN based switches and using a Commercial OS or Open Source OS?Here is a good write up to clarify.
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2919599/cisco-subnet/clearing-the-fog-around-open-switching-terminology.html
-s

Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 19, 2016, at 12:02 AM, Harm van Houten <harm.vanhouten@united4all.nl> wrote:

Hi All, Well I dont think stock prices are a factor to compare switches J The reason I like brocade is that we as a facility a real close with brocade support and development. If an issue is found we can escalate all the way to development and theyll pick it up and report back. Furthermore Brocade switches in almost all cases are Non-Blocking wire speed and have sufficient CPU and Buffer to handle avid traffic. We use ICX / FESX / FCX / MLX / VDX / SX. So we have almost the entire product catalog in our facility. HP Switches are working OK in our Trucks and on some Low-traffic locations (no editing flows of high bandwith flows) we mainly use the HP 2920 as they are also supported by EVS. Also it works fine with IP Multicast flows we run for distribution of television signals to our internal STBs. But we noted that when we really load the HP switches they tend to sigh and sqeeck under the load and that strange things can be seen. But overall I like both brands. The share a CLI that is similar to each other HP is cheaper (sometimes) but Brocade is willing to match them quit often.  

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind Regards,

<image001.gif>

Harm van Houten | IT Architect

T035-7733278
M06-51433378
F035-7733107

harm.vanhouten@united4all.nl 
www.united4all.nl

Het Muziekpaviljoen (gebouw 1) | Sumatralaan 45 | 1217 GP Hilversum | Nederland

Any agreement with United B.V. or any of its subsidiaries is always subject to its General Conditions, which have been filed with the Chamber of Commerce Gooi-, Eem- and Flevoland under number 32063228. Any liability shall be limited according to these General Conditions. See www.united4all.nl/voorwaardenfor review and downloading of these General Conditions. They will also be forwarded upon first request. From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.comOn Behalf Of Dan Young
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2016 9:58 PM
To: studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] Brocade vs HPE vs Others 

+10298341234 for Arista

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Ali Poursamadi <apoursamady@gmail.com> wrote:
+1 for Mellanox. 

On Jul 18, 2016, at 6:04 AM, Saker Klippsten <sakerk@gmail.com> wrote:

If I was only Judging by Brocades crappy stock price since my ruckus stock got converted. I'll stick with Dell / Force10. If I had to do it again I might go Mellanox .  ;)
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 18, 2016, at 8:43 AM, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:

We have both Brocade and HP for different purposes.  Brocade is our primary facility switching and HP is used in OB trucks and vans.   Brocade is awesome.   Our network architect (on this list) may like to add some commentary...

Julian Firminger

Snr. Systems Administrator, United Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 10:16 PM, Shawn Wallbridge <swallbridge@gmail.com> wrote:
I <3 my Arista switches ;) Looking at a couple new 7060CX 32x 25/40/50/100G switches in the near future. I was shocked at how inexpensive that caliber of switch is these days. shawn On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 3:31 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
My stand would be to challenge the vendor to demonstrate where the value add is going to be in switching from what you know to what you don't know as well.  Ask them to not mention features you'll never use,  or other non related perks.    Its nice you can create a 'stack' of 128 switches,  but will you ever?        Vendors often claim "we own  your space",  but does that really indicate anything substantial?  Its like apple users and their love for Laice or G-Raid drives,  its brand/logo love and usually not much else beyond that.   Both have nothing special going for them yet apple users will recommend the heck out of them,  while PC people will say "usb drive?  anything will do."  and most cases this is correct. You are moving into a new studio,  you'll need to consider the amount of changes that will be happening and ask if this is another change you want on your plate.  At the same time it could be an opportune time to re-evaluate things and change directions.   I can say with a high amount of confidence any of the 4 big switch vendors will meet your HPC needs,  and with about the same level of reliability.     Switching and forwarding packets is not a black art anymore.   They are all on the same playing field when we talk about moving data in one interface and out the other,  as it relates to our needs.    What is more important to you and a more relevant question perhaps,  is 'does it make sense to the business?'.       You already have years of experience with the HP stuff,  have taken training and know the cll.    I'm a fan of leveraging your investments,  not tossing them in the dust bin for no solid reason.  Other considerations could be vendor relationships,  support,   budget factors (beyond costs), and beer.  Now with that little rant done...  Brocade makes excellent switching products.  So does Froce10/Dell,  and Cisco,  and others...    In your scenario I would see which vendor will give you the most swag and trips.    no no no...  that's a lie.    I still type "show run" instead of "display current" on the HP switches here,  bugs the hell out of me as I operate with a few different vendors and most of the know what 'show run" means.     And sadly that would be one of the motivators for me to move away from HP.  :)    woooohooo! -g      To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--

Framestore

Dan Young  Lead Systems Engineer

London  New York  Los Angeles Montral 
T  +1 212 775 0600 
135 Spring Street, New York NY 10012 
Twitter  Facebook  framestore.com

Response from Andreas Martin Aanerud @ July 21, 2016, 5:30 p.m.
We have used Hp and Cisco at the office, 
But recently I fell kinda in love with juniper , the EX4600 has some cool options. ( 24x 10gb, and 4x 40gb ) and EX2300 at the edges. 
Tested it at The Gathering ( www.gathering.org ) and it worked perfectly. 
You might also want to check out Meru or Rocus for wireless. 

Btw , do you want to go "kick ass hardcore" check out FreeBSD solutions, and build the master switch you're self ;) 

Mvh
Andreas
909 78 137//sendt fra mobil
Den 19. jul. 2016 kl. 15.29 skrev Saker Klippsten <sakerk@gmail.com>:

Unless you are buying a switch from your local bodega - net gear , linkys, I think pretty much all major- (brocade, fell f10, Mellanox, HP Cisco, switches are non blocking and wire speed.  
Not to veer too far off topic anyone looking at SDN based switches and using a Commercial OS or Open Source OS?Here is a good write up to clarify.
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2919599/cisco-subnet/clearing-the-fog-around-open-switching-terminology.html
-s

Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 19, 2016, at 12:02 AM, Harm van Houten <harm.vanhouten@united4all.nl> wrote:

Hi All,

Well I dont think stock prices are a factor to compare switches J

The reason I like brocade is that we as a facility a real close with brocade support and development. If an issue is found we can escalate all the way to development and theyll pick it up and report back. Furthermore Brocade switches in almost all cases are Non-Blocking wire speed and have sufficient CPU and Buffer to handle avid traffic. We use ICX / FESX / FCX / MLX / VDX / SX. So we have almost the entire product catalog in our facility.

HP Switches are working OK in our Trucks and on some Low-traffic locations (no editing flows of high bandwith flows) we mainly use the HP 2920 as they are also supported by EVS. Also it works fine with IP Multicast flows we run for distribution of television signals to our internal STBs. But we noted that when we really load the HP switches they tend to sigh and sqeeck under the load and that strange things can be seen.

But overall I like both brands. The share a CLI that is similar to each other HP is cheaper (sometimes) but Brocade is willing to match them quit often.

<image001.gif>

T

035-7733278

M

06-51433378

F

035-7733107

www.united4all.nl

Any agreement with United B.V. or any of its subsidiaries is always subject to its General Conditions, which have been filed with the Chamber of Commerce Gooi-, Eem- and Flevoland under number 32063228. Any liability shall be limited according to these General Conditions. See www.united4all.nl/voorwaarden for review and downloading of these General Conditions. They will also be forwarded upon first request.

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of Dan Young
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2016 9:58 PM

+10298341234 for Arista

+1 for Mellanox.

If I was only Judging by Brocades crappy stock price since my ruckus stock got converted. I'll stick with Dell / Force10. If I had to do it again I might go Mellanox .  ;)

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 18, 2016, at 8:43 AM, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:

We have both Brocade and HP for different purposes.  Brocade is our primary facility switching and HP is used in OB trucks and vans.   Brocade is awesome.  

Our network architect (on this list) may like to add some commentary...

Julian Firminger

Snr. Systems Administrator, 

United Broadcast Facilities

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 10:16 PM, Shawn Wallbridge <swallbridge@gmail.com> wrote:

I <3 my Arista switches ;)

Looking at a couple new 7060CX 32x 25/40/50/100G switches in the near future. I was shocked at how inexpensive that caliber of switch is these days.

shawn

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 3:31 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:

My stand would be to challenge the vendor to demonstrate where the value add is going to be in switching from what you know to what you don't know as well.  Ask them to not mention features you'll never use,  or other non related perks.    Its nice you can create a 'stack' of 128 switches,  but will you ever?  

Vendors often claim "we own  your space",  but does that really indicate anything substantial?  Its like apple users and their love for Laice or G-Raid drives,  its brand/logo love and usually not much else beyond that.   Both have nothing special going for them yet apple users will recommend the heck out of them,  while PC people will say "usb drive?  anything will do."  and most cases this is correct.

You are moving into a new studio,  you'll need to consider the amount of changes that will be happening and ask if this is another change you want on your plate.  At the same time it could be an opportune time to re-evaluate things and change directions.  

I can say with a high amount of confidence any of the 4 big switch vendors will meet your HPC needs,  and with about the same level of reliability.     Switching and forwarding packets is not a black art anymore.   They are all on the same playing field when we talk about moving data in one interface and out the other,  as it relates to our needs.   

What is more important to you and a more relevant question perhaps,  is 'does it make sense to the business?'.       You already have years of experience with the HP stuff,  have taken training and know the cll.    I'm a fan of leveraging your investments,  not tossing them in the dust bin for no solid reason.  Other considerations could be vendor relationships,  support,   budget factors (beyond costs), and beer.

Now with that little rant done...  Brocade makes excellent switching products.  So does Froce10/Dell,  and Cisco,  and others...   

In your scenario I would see which vendor will give you the most swag and trips.    no no no...  that's a lie.  

I still type "show run" instead of "display current" on the HP switches here,  bugs the hell out of me as I operate with a few different vendors and most of the know what 'show run" means.     And sadly that would be one of the motivators for me to move away from HP.  :)  

woooohooo!

-g

--

Framestore

Dan Young Lead Systems Engineer

London New York Los Angeles Montral
T  +1 212 775 0600
Twitter Facebook framestore.com

Response from Saker Klippsten @ July 19, 2016, 9:30 a.m.
-s

Sent from my iPhone

Hi All,

The reason I like brocade is that we as a facility a real close with brocade support and development. If an issue is found we can escalate all the way to development and theyll pick it up and report back. Furthermore Brocade switches in almost all cases are Non-Blocking wire speed and have sufficient CPU and Buffer to handle avid traffic. We use ICX / FESX / FCX / MLX / VDX / SX. So we have almost the entire product catalog in our facility.

HP Switches are working OK in our Trucks and on some Low-traffic locations (no editing flows of high bandwith flows) we mainly use the HP 2920 as they are also supported by EVS. Also it works fine with IP Multicast flows we run for distribution of television signals to our internal STBs. But we noted that when we really load the HP switches they tend to sigh and sqeeck under the load and that strange things can be seen.

But overall I like both brands. The share a CLI that is similar to each other HP is cheaper (sometimes) but Brocade is willing to match them quit often.

<image001.gif>

T

035-7733278

M

06-51433378

F

035-7733107

www.united4all.nl

Any agreement with United B.V. or any of its subsidiaries is always subject to its General Conditions, which have been filed with the Chamber of Commerce Gooi-, Eem- and Flevoland under number 32063228. Any liability shall be limited according to these General Conditions. See www.united4all.nl/voorwaarden for review and downloading of these General Conditions. They will also be forwarded upon first request.

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of Dan Young

+10298341234 for Arista

+1 for Mellanox.

Sent from my iPhone

We have both Brocade and HP for different purposes.  Brocade is our primary facility switching and HP is used in OB trucks and vans.   Brocade is awesome.  

Julian Firminger

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 10:16 PM, Shawn Wallbridge <swallbridge@gmail.com> wrote:

Looking at a couple new 7060CX 32x 25/40/50/100G switches in the near future. I was shocked at how inexpensive that caliber of switch is these days.

shawn

My stand would be to challenge the vendor to demonstrate where the value add is going to be in switching from what you know to what you don't know as well.  Ask them to not mention features you'll never use,  or other non related perks.    Its nice you can create a 'stack' of 128 switches,  but will you ever?  

Vendors often claim "we own  your space",  but does that really indicate anything substantial?  Its like apple users and their love for Laice or G-Raid drives,  its brand/logo love and usually not much else beyond that.   Both have nothing special going for them yet apple users will recommend the heck out of them,  while PC people will say "usb drive?  anything will do."  and most cases this is correct.

You are moving into a new studio,  you'll need to consider the amount of changes that will be happening and ask if this is another change you want on your plate.  At the same time it could be an opportune time to re-evaluate things and change directions.  

I can say with a high amount of confidence any of the 4 big switch vendors will meet your HPC needs,  and with about the same level of reliability.     Switching and forwarding packets is not a black art anymore.   They are all on the same playing field when we talk about moving data in one interface and out the other,  as it relates to our needs.   

What is more important to you and a more relevant question perhaps,  is 'does it make sense to the business?'.       You already have years of experience with the HP stuff,  have taken training and know the cll.    I'm a fan of leveraging your investments,  not tossing them in the dust bin for no solid reason.  Other considerations could be vendor relationships,  support,   budget factors (beyond costs), and beer.

Now with that little rant done...  Brocade makes excellent switching products.  So does Froce10/Dell,  and Cisco,  and others...   

In your scenario I would see which vendor will give you the most swag and trips.    no no no...  that's a lie.  

I still type "show run" instead of "display current" on the HP switches here,  bugs the hell out of me as I operate with a few different vendors and most of the know what 'show run" means.     And sadly that would be one of the motivators for me to move away from HP.  :)  

woooohooo!

-g

--

Framestore

T  +1 212 775 0600

Response from Anonymous @ July 19, 2016, 3:05 a.m.

Hi All,

United

T

035-7733278

M

06-51433378

F

035-7733107

www.united4all.nl

+10298341234 for Arista

+1 for Mellanox.

Sent from my iPhone

Julian Firminger

shawn

woooohooo!

-g

--

Framestore

T  +1 212 775 0600

Response from Saker Klippsten @ July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.
Sent from my iPhone

Julian Firminger

Snr. Systems Administrator, United Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

shawn

woooohooo!
-g

Response from Ali Poursamadi @ July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.
+1 for Mellanox.

Sent from my iPhone

Julian Firminger

Snr. Systems Administrator, United Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

shawn

woooohooo!
-g

Response from Dan Young @ July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.
+10298341234 for Arista

+1 for Mellanox.

If I was only Judging by Brocades crappy stock price since my ruckus stock got converted. I'll stick with Dell / Force10. If I had to do it again I might go Mellanox . ;)
Sent from my iPhone

We have both Brocade and HP for different purposes. Brocade is our primary facility switching and HP is used in OB trucks and vans. Brocade is awesome.

Julian Firminger

Snr. Systems Administrator,United Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

shawn
My stand would be to challenge the vendor to demonstrate where the value add is going to be in switching from what you know to what you don't know as well. Ask them to not mention features you'll never use, or other non related perks. Its nice you can create a 'stack' of 128 switches, but will you ever?

Vendors often claim "we own your space", but does that really indicate anything substantial? Its like apple users and their love for Laice or G-Raid drives, its brand/logo love and usually not much else beyond that. Both have nothing special going for them yet apple users will recommend the heck out of them, while PC people will say "usb drive? anything will do." and most cases this is correct.
You are moving into a new studio, you'll need to consider the amount of changes that will be happening and ask if this is another change you want on your plate. At the same time it could be an opportune time to re-evaluate things and change directions.
I can say with a high amount of confidence any of the 4 big switch vendors will meet your HPC needs, and with about the same level of reliability. Switching and forwarding packets is not a black art anymore. They are all on the same playing field when we talk about moving data in one interface and out the other, as it relates to our needs.

What is more important to you and a more relevant question perhaps, is 'does it make sense to the business?'. You already have years of experience with the HP stuff, have taken training and know the cll. I'm a fan of leveraging your investments, not tossing them in the dust bin for no solid reason. Other considerations could be vendor relationships, support, budget factors (beyond costs), and beer.

Now with that little rant done... Brocade makes excellent switching products. So does Froce10/Dell, and Cisco, and others...
In your scenario I would see which vendor will give you the most swag and trips. no no no... that's a lie.

I still type "show run" instead of "display current" on the HP switches here, bugs the hell out of me as I operate with a few different vendors and most of the know what 'show run" means. And sadly that would be one of the motivators for me to move away from HP. :)

woooohooo!
-g

--

Framestore
T+1 212 775 0600

Response from Julian Firminger @ July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.
We have both Brocade and HP for different purposes. Brocade is our primary facility switching and HP is used in OB trucks and vans. Brocade is awesome.

Julian Firminger

Snr. Systems Administrator,United Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

shawn
My stand would be to challenge the vendor to demonstrate where the value add is going to be in switching from what you know to what you don't know as well. Ask them to not mention features you'll never use, or other non related perks. Its nice you can create a 'stack' of 128 switches, but will you ever?

Vendors often claim "we own your space", but does that really indicate anything substantial? Its like apple users and their love for Laice or G-Raid drives, its brand/logo love and usually not much else beyond that. Both have nothing special going for them yet apple users will recommend the heck out of them, while PC people will say "usb drive? anything will do." and most cases this is correct.
You are moving into a new studio, you'll need to consider the amount of changes that will be happening and ask if this is another change you want on your plate. At the same time it could be an opportune time to re-evaluate things and change directions.
I can say with a high amount of confidence any of the 4 big switch vendors will meet your HPC needs, and with about the same level of reliability. Switching and forwarding packets is not a black art anymore. They are all on the same playing field when we talk about moving data in one interface and out the other, as it relates to our needs.

What is more important to you and a more relevant question perhaps, is 'does it make sense to the business?'. You already have years of experience with the HP stuff, have taken training and know the cll. I'm a fan of leveraging your investments, not tossing them in the dust bin for no solid reason. Other considerations could be vendor relationships, support, budget factors (beyond costs), and beer.

Now with that little rant done... Brocade makes excellent switching products. So does Froce10/Dell, and Cisco, and others...
In your scenario I would see which vendor will give you the most swag and trips. no no no... that's a lie.

I still type "show run" instead of "display current" on the HP switches here, bugs the hell out of me as I operate with a few different vendors and most of the know what 'show run" means. And sadly that would be one of the motivators for me to move away from HP. :)

woooohooo!
-g

Response from Greg Whynott @ July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.

woooohooo!
-g

Response from Shawn Wallbridge @ July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.
shawn

woooohooo!
-g

Response from Zorion Terrell @ July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.

Hey All,

We’re moving to a brand new building later this year and are going to build the network infrastructure from the ground up. Rare opportunity to mostly buy all new switches and start clean. We’ve traditionally used HPE Comware switches in the company (which I quite like) but of course are looking at other options.

Brocade is our main other option we’re looking at (and I know the guys pitching it will see this email… Kris….). My experience with Brocade is limited to the FCX and ICX Switches that came with an acquisition. The pitch is of course that Brocade is used heavily in M&E and the power of the VDX Switches and the “Fabric”.

If I stick with HPE Comware I maintain consistency across the continent for networking (and I can save money because I can make use of hardware that can be reused in the new building). If I go Brocade, it’s all new (and even with great pricing, ultimately more expensive). I can justify the costs if I’ve done the research and make an informed decision.

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

600-190 Alexander Street

Response from Peter Devlin @ July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.

<touches formica desktop>
Anecdotally, we have enjoyed rock solid performance from our backbone Foundry / Brocade hardware in the last 8 years. From sysadmin POV any problems we have had have never with the Brocade gear. From business POV the backbone hardware has arguably been one of best investments we've ever made.
For edge switches we tend to mix and match. I've tried all the usual suspects (Brocade, Cisco, Dell, NetGear) and there isn't much to call between Brocade and the others although IMO caution is advised with NetGear (just saying). If your footprint is large by all means standardize on one vendor and negotiate hard.
You don't really provide much info about your scenario (sites, port numbers, use cases). A little more crunchiness might help get wisdom from the hivemind?
--
Thanks,

Peter Devlin
Head of ITTel+44 (0)141 572 2802

A X I S

Axis Productions Limited

7.1 Skypark 1, Elliot Place

Glasgow, G3 8EP

axisanimation.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Axis Animation (Axis Productions Ltd)
Registered in Scotland: SC306712