Sponsors
Sponsor Products
1G switch?
posted by Anonymous  on July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m. (2 years, 3 months, 5 days ago)
6 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
SDGE had a scheduled power outage this weekend and on power up it never fails that something always fails. This time it was one of the Netgear 48 port switches. It's a simple 1Gb switch for administrative Macs but it's 10 years old. What's the current consensus for 1Gb 48 port switches with say a dozen POE ports? Don't need anything particularly fancy, just needs to be reliable. Thanks, -Terry Terry Barnum digital OutPost Carlsbad, CA http://www.dop.com 800/464-6434 To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Anonymous @ July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.
Thanks for the recommendations--very much appreciated. So here's a stupid question: For this eBay HP Procurve[1], is an SFP port the only way to uplink to the firewall/router? I looked through the PDF manual and see assigning ports for Stacking switches or for a Trunk but nothing about uplink. Yes, it's been a long time since I've bought a switch... [1] Thanks, -Terry > On Jun 29, 2016, at 12:21 AM, Jean-Francois Panisset wrote: > > And you can afford to keep a couple of cold spares on the shelf for a fraction of the cost of a support contract. > > JF > > > On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 12:08 AM, Jon Parkins wrote: > eBay has been pretty good for getting cheap networking hardware that is still solid. I have a few friends with small shops and it's always my recommendation to them to save some coin and they have all been happy so far! > > That stuff tends to hold up well (at least in my experience ) we have HP chassis at the studio that are 9 years old and still problem free. > > - > Jon Parkins > > > On Jun 28, 2016, at 11:56 PM, Chris Hyman wrote: > > > > Found HP solid plus you can get them cheaply on eBay. > > > > Dells lifetime warranty could be helpful also depending on timescales on turnaround etc. > > > > > > Chris > >> On 28 Jun 2016, at 23:55, Terry Barnum wrote: > >> > >> SDGE had a scheduled power outage this weekend and on power up it never fails that something always fails. This time it was one of the Netgear 48 port switches. It's a simple 1Gb switch for administrative Macs but it's 10 years old. What's the current consensus for 1Gb 48 port switches with say a dozen POE ports? Don't need anything particularly fancy, just needs to be reliable. > Terry Barnum digital OutPost Carlsbad, CA http://www.dop.com 800/464-6434 To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Todd Smith @ July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.
Any port is an uplink port.  You already tell your machines how to route by defining a gateway address.
The firewall/router IP address is defined on the upstream device, and the switch will detect how to route to it, assuming everything is on the same VLAN.  Basically there is no defined uplink port, since you could run any number of VLANs and have any number of possible routes.
Todd SmithHead of Information Technology
soho vfx | 99 Atlantic Ave. Suite 303, Toronto, Ontario M6K 3J8office: (416) 516-7863 fax: (416) 516-9682 web: sohovfx.com

Thanks for the recommendations--very much appreciated.

So here's a stupid question: For this eBay HP Procurve[1], is an SFP port the only way to uplink to the firewall/router? I looked through the PDF manual and see assigning ports for Stacking switches or for a Trunk but nothing about uplink. Yes, it's been a long time since I've bought a switch...

[1] <http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-JG928A-Procurve-48-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Managed-Switch-1920-48G-PoE-/252409173413?hash=item3ac4c255a5:g:KhMAAOSw4q9XTebE&autorefresh=true>

Thanks,
-Terry

> On Jun 29, 2016, at 12:21 AM, Jean-Francois Panisset <panisset@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And you can afford to keep a couple of cold spares on the shelf for a fraction of the cost of a support contract.
>
> JF
>
>
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 12:08 AM, Jon Parkins <jonparkins@gmail.com> wrote:
> eBay has been pretty good for getting cheap networking hardware that is still solid. I have a few friends with small shops and it's always my recommendation to them to save some coin and they have all been happy so far!
>
> That stuff tends to hold up well (at least in my experience ) we have HP chassis at the studio that are 9 years old and still problem free.
>
> -
> Jon Parkins
>
> > On Jun 28, 2016, at 11:56 PM, Chris Hyman <chris@cyberdyne-services.com> wrote:
> >
> > Found HP solid plus you can get them cheaply on eBay.
> >
> > Dells lifetime warranty could be helpful also depending on timescales on turnaround etc.
> >
> >
> > Chris
> >> On 28 Jun 2016, at 23:55, Terry Barnum <terrydop@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> SDGE had a scheduled power outage this weekend and on power up it never fails that something always fails. This time it was one of the Netgear 48 port switches. It's a simple 1Gb switch for administrative Macs but it's 10 years old. What's the current consensus for 1Gb 48 port switches with say a dozen POE ports? Don't need anything particularly fancy, just needs to be reliable.
>

Terry Barnum
digital OutPost
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.dop.com
800/464-6434

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Ken Spickler @ July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.
You can uplink from any port. Some 10/100 switches have a separate gigE "uplink" port, but in this case any port can be used as a so-called uplink. Ken Spickler Sent from iPhone. Srry for tpos. > On Jun 29, 2016, at 4:17 PM, Terry Barnum wrote: > > Thanks for the recommendations--very much appreciated. > > So here's a stupid question: For this eBay HP Procurve[1], is an SFP port the only way to uplink to the firewall/router? I looked through the PDF manual and see assigning ports for Stacking switches or for a Trunk but nothing about uplink. Yes, it's been a long time since I've bought a switch... > > [1] > > Thanks, > -Terry > >> On Jun 29, 2016, at 12:21 AM, Jean-Francois Panisset wrote: >> >> And you can afford to keep a couple of cold spares on the shelf for a fraction of the cost of a support contract. >> >> JF >> >> >> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 12:08 AM, Jon Parkins wrote: >> eBay has been pretty good for getting cheap networking hardware that is still solid. I have a few friends with small shops and it's always my recommendation to them to save some coin and they have all been happy so far! >> >> That stuff tends to hold up well (at least in my experience ) we have HP chassis at the studio that are 9 years old and still problem free. >> >> - >> Jon Parkins >> >>> On Jun 28, 2016, at 11:56 PM, Chris Hyman wrote: >>> >>> Found HP solid plus you can get them cheaply on eBay. >>> >>> Dells lifetime warranty could be helpful also depending on timescales on turnaround etc. >>> >>> >>> Chris >>>> On 28 Jun 2016, at 23:55, Terry Barnum wrote: >>>> >>>> SDGE had a scheduled power outage this weekend and on power up it never fails that something always fails. This time it was one of the Netgear 48 port switches. It's a simple 1Gb switch for administrative Macs but it's 10 years old. What's the current consensus for 1Gb 48 port switches with say a dozen POE ports? Don't need anything particularly fancy, just needs to be reliable. > > Terry Barnum > digital OutPost > Carlsbad, CA > > http://www.dop.com > 800/464-6434 > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Anonymous @ July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.
Thank you Todd and Ken. Got it. -Terry > On Jun 29, 2016, at 4:27 PM, Ken Spickler wrote: > > You can uplink from any port. Some 10/100 switches have a separate gigE "uplink" port, but in this case any port can be used as a so-called uplink. > > Ken Spickler > Sent from iPhone. Srry for tpos. > >> On Jun 29, 2016, at 4:17 PM, Terry Barnum wrote: >> >> Thanks for the recommendations--very much appreciated. >> >> So here's a stupid question: For this eBay HP Procurve[1], is an SFP port the only way to uplink to the firewall/router? I looked through the PDF manual and see assigning ports for Stacking switches or for a Trunk but nothing about uplink. Yes, it's been a long time since I've bought a switch... >> >> [1] >> >> Thanks, >> -Terry >> >>> On Jun 29, 2016, at 12:21 AM, Jean-Francois Panisset wrote: >>> >>> And you can afford to keep a couple of cold spares on the shelf for a fraction of the cost of a support contract. >>> >>> JF >>> >>> >>> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 12:08 AM, Jon Parkins wrote: >>> eBay has been pretty good for getting cheap networking hardware that is still solid. I have a few friends with small shops and it's always my recommendation to them to save some coin and they have all been happy so far! >>> >>> That stuff tends to hold up well (at least in my experience ) we have HP chassis at the studio that are 9 years old and still problem free. >>> >>> - >>> Jon Parkins >>> >>>> On Jun 28, 2016, at 11:56 PM, Chris Hyman wrote: >>>> >>>> Found HP solid plus you can get them cheaply on eBay. >>>> >>>> Dells lifetime warranty could be helpful also depending on timescales on turnaround etc. >>>> >>>> >>>> Chris >>>>> On 28 Jun 2016, at 23:55, Terry Barnum wrote: >>>>> >>>>> SDGE had a scheduled power outage this weekend and on power up it never fails that something always fails. This time it was one of the Netgear 48 port switches. It's a simple 1Gb switch for administrative Macs but it's 10 years old. What's the current consensus for 1Gb 48 port switches with say a dozen POE ports? Don't need anything particularly fancy, just needs to be reliable. >> >> Terry Barnum >> digital OutPost >> Carlsbad, CA >> >> http://www.dop.com >> 800/464-6434 >> >> >> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe Terry Barnum digital OutPost Carlsbad, CA http://www.dop.com 800/464-6434 To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Jon Parkins @ July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.
eBay has been pretty good for getting cheap networking hardware that is still solid. I have a few friends with small shops and it's always my recommendation to them to save some coin and they have all been happy so far! That stuff tends to hold up well (at least in my experience ) we have HP chassis at the studio that are 9 years old and still problem free. - Jon Parkins > On Jun 28, 2016, at 11:56 PM, Chris Hyman wrote: > > Found HP solid plus you can get them cheaply on eBay. > > Dells lifetime warranty could be helpful also depending on timescales on turnaround etc. > > > Chris >> On 28 Jun 2016, at 23:55, Terry Barnum wrote: >> >> SDGE had a scheduled power outage this weekend and on power up it never fails that something always fails. This time it was one of the Netgear 48 port switches. It's a simple 1Gb switch for administrative Macs but it's 10 years old. What's the current consensus for 1Gb 48 port switches with say a dozen POE ports? Don't need anything particularly fancy, just needs to be reliable. >> >> Thanks, >> -Terry >> >> Terry Barnum >> digital OutPost >> Carlsbad, CA >> >> http://www.dop.com >> 800/464-6434 >> >> >> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Jean-Francois Panisset @ July 18, 2016, 4:06 p.m.
And you can afford to keep a couple of cold spares on the shelf for a fraction of the cost of a support contract.

JF

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 12:08 AM, Jon Parkins <jonparkins@gmail.com> wrote:
eBay has been pretty good for getting cheap networking hardware that is still solid. I have a few friends with small shops and it's always my recommendation to them to save some coin and they have all been happy so far!

That stuff tends to hold up well (at least in my experience ) we have HP chassis at the studio that are 9 years old and still problem free.

-
Jon Parkins

> On Jun 28, 2016, at 11:56 PM, Chris Hyman <chris@cyberdyne-services.com> wrote:
>
> Found HP solid plus you can get them cheaply on eBay.
>
> Dells lifetime warranty could be helpful also depending on timescales on turnaround etc.
>
>
> Chris
>> On 28 Jun 2016, at 23:55, Terry Barnum <terrydop@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> SDGE had a scheduled power outage this weekend and on power up it never fails that something always fails. This time it was one of the Netgear 48 port switches. It's a simple 1Gb switch for administrative Macs but it's 10 years old. What's the current consensus for 1Gb 48 port switches with say a dozen POE ports? Don't need anything particularly fancy, just needs to be reliable.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Terry
>>
>> Terry Barnum
>> digital OutPost
>> Carlsbad, CA
>>
>> http://www.dop.com
>> 800/464-6434
>>
>>
>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>
> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe