Sponsors
Sponsor Products
virtual tape NAS
posted by Anonymous  on May 19, 2015, 6:50 p.m. (5 years, 2 months, 15 days ago)
8 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Hi, Once upon a time while working at VIFX we had a nifty tape robot that had a bunch of disk acting as a cache, and the whole thing presented itself as a NAS. The software that ran this was called AMASS, and it seems that it still exists. I also found QStar Archive Manager which seems to do more or less the same thing. Im curious, what other options are out there? Were pretty small but tend to work in 4K stereo quite a lot, so a decent quantity of TBs pass by us in the course of a year. Thanks, Antoine To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Ben Roeder @ May 29, 2015, 6:10 p.m.
you might want to look at this for the health of crossroadshttp://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/29/crossroads_goes_for_rights_issue/

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 8:49 PM, Ken Spickler <ken.spickler@gmail.com> wrote:
Those were the main reasons we didn't go with those vendors. Strongbox's license charged based on total size of archive, regardless if it was in the library or on the shelf. The XenData license is based on the size of the library (slots + drives, I believe), so simply going to LTO 7 shouldn't affect the license cost. It was the best licensing option from my perspective, but it's SMB-centric limitation was an issue for our Mac and Linux users.

Ken SpicklerSent from iPhone. Srry for tpos.
On May 22, 2015, at 11:37 AM, Antoine Durr <antoinedurr@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah, my concern as well (dont know the specifics of Strongbox yet). QStars pricing model is per TB of active tape size, e.g. whats online in the tape robot (not whats sitting on the shelf, so at least thats realistic). It does mean, though, when we go to LTO-7 well need to get a pricier license. :-(
Antoine

On May 22, 2015, at 10:34 AM, Jeremy Lang <jeremy.lang@it4vfx.com> wrote:
Strongbox looked interesting to me but the ongoing costs were a concern, especially since they can only go up as you add more...

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 1:49 AM, Paul Nendick <paul.nendick@gmail.com> wrote:
Strongbox: http://www.crossroads.com/data-archive-products/strongbox

Paul
On 20 May 2015 at 02:30, Ken Spickler <ken.spickler@gmail.com> wrote:
XenData does something very similar. It's a Windows server that presents itself as SMB shares so not very helpful in an NFS-centric environment. Data is stored on LTO as either LTFS or TAR.

Ken Spickler
Sent from iPhone. Srry for tpos.

> On May 19, 2015, at 3:47 PM, Antoine Durr <antoinedurr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Once upon a time while working at VIFX we had a nifty tape robot that had a bunch of disk acting as a cache, and the whole thing presented itself as a NAS. The software that ran this was called AMASS, and it seems that it still exists. I also found QStar Archive Manager which seems to do more or less the same thing. Im curious, what other options are out there? Were pretty small but tend to work in 4K stereo quite a lot, so a decent quantity of TBs pass by us in the course of a year.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Antoine
>
> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Ken Spickler @ May 22, 2015, 3:50 p.m.
Those were the main reasons we didn't go with those vendors. Strongbox's license charged based on total size of archive, regardless if it was in the library or on the shelf. The XenData license is based on the size of the library (slots + drives, I believe), so simply going to LTO 7 shouldn't affect the license cost. It was the best licensing option from my perspective, but it's SMB-centric limitation was an issue for our Mac and Linux users.

Ken SpicklerSent from iPhone. Srry for tpos.
On May 22, 2015, at 11:37 AM, Antoine Durr <antoinedurr@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah, my concern as well (dont know the specifics of Strongbox yet).  QStars pricing model is per TB of active tape size, e.g. whats online in the tape robot (not whats sitting on the shelf, so at least thats realistic).  It does mean, though, when we go to LTO-7 well need to get a pricier license. :-(
Antoine

Strongbox looked interesting to me but the ongoing costs were a concern, especially since they can only go up as you add more...  

Paul
XenData does something very similar. It's a Windows server that presents itself as SMB shares so not very helpful in an NFS-centric environment. Data is stored on LTO as either LTFS or TAR.

Ken Spickler

>
> Hi,
>  Once upon a time while working at VIFX we had a nifty tape robot that had a bunch of disk acting as a cache, and the whole thing presented itself as a NAS.  The software that ran this was called AMASS, and it seems that it still exists.  I also found QStar Archive Manager which seems to do more or less the same thing.  Im curious, what other options are out there?  Were pretty small but tend to work in 4K stereo quite a lot, so a decent quantity of TBs pass by us in the course of a year.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Antoine
>
> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Anonymous @ May 22, 2015, 2:40 p.m.
Yeah, my concern as well (dont know the specifics of Strongbox yet).  QStars pricing model is per TB of active tape size, e.g. whats online in the tape robot (not whats sitting on the shelf, so at least thats realistic).  It does mean, though, when we go to LTO-7 well need to get a pricier license. :-(
Antoine

Paul

Ken Spickler

>
> Hi,
>  Once upon a time while working at VIFX we had a nifty tape robot that had a bunch of disk acting as a cache, and the whole thing presented itself as a NAS.  The software that ran this was called AMASS, and it seems that it still exists.  I also found QStar Archive Manager which seems to do more or less the same thing.  Im curious, what other options are out there?  Were pretty small but tend to work in 4K stereo quite a lot, so a decent quantity of TBs pass by us in the course of a year.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Antoine
>

Response from Jeremy Lang @ May 22, 2015, 1:40 p.m.

Paul

Ken Spickler

>
> Hi,
> Once upon a time while working at VIFX we had a nifty tape robot that had a bunch of disk acting as a cache, and the whole thing presented itself as a NAS. The software that ran this was called AMASS, and it seems that it still exists. I also found QStar Archive Manager which seems to do more or less the same thing. Im curious, what other options are out there? Were pretty small but tend to work in 4K stereo quite a lot, so a decent quantity of TBs pass by us in the course of a year.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Antoine
>

Response from Paul Nendick @ May 20, 2015, 4:55 a.m.

Paul

Ken Spickler

>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks,
>
> Antoine
>

Response from Ken Spickler @ May 19, 2015, 9:35 p.m.
XenData does something very similar. It's a Windows server that presents itself as SMB shares so not very helpful in an NFS-centric environment. Data is stored on LTO as either LTFS or TAR. Ken Spickler Sent from iPhone. Srry for tpos. > On May 19, 2015, at 3:47 PM, Antoine Durr wrote: > > Hi, > Once upon a time while working at VIFX we had a nifty tape robot that had a bunch of disk acting as a cache, and the whole thing presented itself as a NAS. The software that ran this was called AMASS, and it seems that it still exists. I also found QStar Archive Manager which seems to do more or less the same thing. Im curious, what other options are out there? Were pretty small but tend to work in 4K stereo quite a lot, so a decent quantity of TBs pass by us in the course of a year. > > Thanks, > > Antoine > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Joe Stevano @ May 19, 2015, 7:55 p.m.
We started using CommVault which does a similar thing. It will stub files and take them offline, when users need the file, they are brought back from tape automagically. Been pretty happy with it. -Joe _______________________________________ Joe Stevano Director, IT | ILLUMINATION ENTERTAINMENT 2230 Broadway | Santa Monica CA 90404 O: 310 593-8815 On 5/19/15, 3:47 PM, "Antoine Durr" wrote: >Hi, > Once upon a time while working at VIFX we had a nifty tape robot that had a bunch of disk acting as a cache, and the whole thing presented itself as a NAS. The software that ran this was called AMASS, and it seems that it still exists. I also found QStar Archive Manager which seems to do more or less the same thing. Im curious, what other options are out there? Were pretty small but tend to work in 4K stereo quite a lot, so a decent quantity of TBs pass by us in the course of a year. > >Thanks, > > Antoine > >To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Shawn Wallbridge @ May 19, 2015, 7:10 p.m.
Solaris SAM-QFS does the same sort of thing. It's technically called a Hierarchical Storage Management System.
I wouldn't recommend SAMQFS though, we have had a lot of issues with one of our installs for the last few years. I am migrating ~1PB of data off of it now.
shawn
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Antoine Durr <antoinedurr@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
Once upon a time while working at VIFX we had a nifty tape robot that had a bunch of disk acting as a cache, and the whole thing presented itself as a NAS. The software that ran this was called AMASS, and it seems that it still exists. I also found QStar Archive Manager which seems to do more or less the same thing. Im curious, what other options are out there? Were pretty small but tend to work in 4K stereo quite a lot, so a decent quantity of TBs pass by us in the course of a year.

Thanks,

Antoine