Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Windows 7 SMB 2 metadata refresh issues
posted by Jean-Francois Panisset  on April 9, 2015, 5:10 p.m. (5 years, 3 months, 25 days ago)
2 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
I'm familiar with NFS metadata caching issues, what about SMB 2?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686200(v=ws.10).aspx

Has anyone played around with those registry values? There are claims floating around that the "DirectoryCacheLifetime" default is in fact 10 minutes rather than 10 seconds.

What about a utility that would allow a user to flush the SMB2 client metadata cache that you could run if you want to see your render and the SMB2 client insists that there is nothing there?

JF

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Jean-Francois Panisset @ April 10, 2015, 12:40 p.m.
Same situation here, Windows 7 clients speaking SMB 2.1 to a HNAS. Wonder if Windows 8.1 clients speaking SMB 3 would behave differently.

JF

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 12:28 AM, Miguel Angel Martin Gordillo <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

In our case, we use Hitachi HNAS and SMB2 in some File Systems and SMB1 in others depending wether or not metadata is important for that specific data set. Our tools department is going to migrate our asset system metadata to a database instead of scanning folders directly. That is going to save us a lot of problems (and decrease NAS load while increasing response times). If you have to use SMB2 and modify the registry key, in your case directory cache is the one you have to modify.

Regards.

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Fabrice Altman @ April 10, 2015, 6:20 a.m.

Hello,

We are experiencing these very random delays, sometimes up to 20 minutes. It is so random it is difficult to trouble shoot for me.

It seems to come in waves as well. No sign of it for a month or so, and then 2 or 3 in a week.

Isilon support is suggesting doing a packet capture but each time I have been told its happening, Im not available to do it or its too late.

Please let us know what solution you find J

Cheers,

F.

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of Jean-Francois Panisset
Sent: 09 April 2015 22:05
To: studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com
Subject: [SSA-Discuss] Windows 7 SMB 2 metadata refresh issues

I'm familiar with NFS metadata caching issues, what about SMB 2?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686200(v=ws.10).aspx

Has anyone played around with those registry values? There are claims floating around that the "DirectoryCacheLifetime" default is in fact 10 minutes rather than 10 seconds.

What about a utility that would allow a user to flush the SMB2 client metadata cache that you could run if you want to see your render and the SMB2 client insists that there is nothing there?

JF

0 Plus One's     0 Comments