Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Best way to have consistent pathnames in OSX
posted by Greg Dickie  on April 1, 2015, 3:05 p.m. (4 years, 20 days ago)
10 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
body{font-family:Helvetica,Arial;font-size:13px}Hi,
  Being somewhat new to managing a bunch of OS X machines Im wondering what the best way to ensure common pathnames (for render jobs, etc) is. At the moment we are relying in users to do the right thing which is usually not a great idea. They are all on a samba controlled AD domain and Im reading we can do profiles in Open Directory. Is that the way or should we go with a puppet recipe?
TIA,Greg
-- 
Greg Dickie
just a guy514-983-5400

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Anonymous @ April 3, 2015, 5:40 a.m.
We're forced into using SMB on the OSX workstations.. and producer laptops etc..

We use a mount command that's a bash script.. along with an alternate small GUI app to call that to make it more accessible to non-command line types.

The mount command forces unmount of the volumes, remounts with users credentials, specifying the mount point.

Our paths then end up identical to the linux paths.

Finder's favorites links will prompt user to enter password and have it auto-mount if the proper mount isn't already established. Incredibly annoying, because it automounts it under /Volumes/ and magicifies the shortcuts to make them work. But of course, path consistency is busted. We haven't found a way to disable this behavior.

NFS gives us a much better way of doing things.. but is too bust with OSX and Finder to use. We NFS mount our OSX render nodes though.

Winders paths.. wot

Cheers,
r.

Rangi Sutton | VFX Supervisor
CUTTINGEDGE
T +61 7 3013 6236 | M +61 41 521 1280

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 3 April 2015 at 02:46
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] Best way to have consistent pathnames in OSX
To: "studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com" <studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com>

Greg/Antoine,
I have also accomplished this on OSX with a combination of NFS Manager and Open Directory policies.
NFS Manager gives some good visibility into the different automount locations/paths/options.
I started with that a few years back then eventually rolled that knowledge into some Open Directory foo.
So, with that said, +1 NFS Manager +1 Open Directory policies
On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 9:25 AM, Greg Dickie <greg@justaguy.ca> wrote:
Ah, that's what I was wondering about. Does automount work properly?
I've seen a few posts about mounts going away when the machine goes to
sleep, etc.

Greg

On Thu, 2015-04-02 at 18:12 +0200, Antoine Durr wrote:
> I use Apple's Open Directory server to serve NFS automounts, though I
> don't have any Windows boxes, only OS X and CentOS. I got rid
> of /Volumes a loooong time ago for NFS mounts. While 'NFS Manager' is
> great for NFS, I presume something similar exists for SMB type mounts.
>
>
> -- Antoine
>
>
>
> > On Apr 2, 2015, at 3:19 PM, Brian Krusic <brian@krusic.com> wrote:
> >
> > I can attest to using item 3) NFS, studio wide w/o issue.
> >
> >
> > Windows NFS is not bad and about 15% slower in some cases (even with
> > tweaks) but speed isnt everything, kinda like hurry up and wait.
> >
> >
> > I used to use AxeNFS with a lot of success in XP x64 and plan to
> > test it in Windows 7.
> >
> >
> > There are registry setting one can employ to mod the UID/GID on the
> > fly so that it matches the user session.
> >
> >
> > At any rate, it doest really help the initial OP in terms of an all
> > SMB/cross platform env.
> >
> >
> > But regarding OSX, I do adapt studio wide to its /Volumes/ fromage
> > and when I did run SMB a long while back, my Samba or Windows
> > servers would have an alias name of Volumes so that UNC would
> > resolve the same.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > - Brian
> >
> > Technologist...
> > i.e., Purveyor of the ironic"
> >
> >
> > On Apr 1, 2015, at 8:47 PM, mathieu xavier <matxdotca@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Greg,
> > >
> > > My approach would be, in order:
> > >
> > > 1) Get render queue software to map different paths so /Volumes
> > > mount on OS X and /hostname/share/nas on Windows is
> > > interchangeable, and if that doesnt work
> > >
> > > 2) create a new folder on the root of your OS X boxes with the
> > > hostname of your NAS/fileserver and symlink the share so that your
> > > OS X mount point will look the same as the server:share style on
> > > windows
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > 3) use NFS and create the mount point anywhere eye like on OS X an
> > > Linux (windows NFS clients may be iffy, YMMV)
> > >
> > > :)
> > >
> > > Mathieu
> > >
> > > > On Apr 1, 2015, at 3:49 PM, Greg Dickie <greg@justaguy.ca>
> > > > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hi Mat,
> > > >
> > > > The first one. I know how to handle windows and linux but I'm a
> > > > bit
> > > > new at the "MACs as real work machines" thing so while I try to
> > > > convert
> > > > everything to linux I need a good way to standardize mount
> > > > points so
> > > > everyone is pointing to the same directory on the NAS. Seems to
> > > > be
> > > > complicated by the fact we are mounting with SMB. Just wondering
> > > > what
> > > > the best practices are.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks for the reply,
> > > > Greg
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 14:00 -0700, mathieu xavier wrote:
> > > > > Greg,
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Do you mean that all your Macs are accessing your storage with
> > > > > different pathnames, and you want to sanitize this? Or did you
> > > > > mean
> > > > > that you have Macs, Windows, and Linux all submitting jobs
> > > > > with
> > > > > different pathnames (because they are accessing the storage
> > > > > with
> > > > > different proticols)?
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Why isnt your render queue software translating your paths
> > > > > for you? I
> > > > > used to do this with RUSH, and I believe most others do this
> > > > > for you,
> > > > > e.g. /Volumes/NAS/awesome is equal to /mnt/NAS-35/awful
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > -x
> > > > >
> > > > > > On Apr 1, 2015, at 12:02 PM, Greg Dickie <greg@justaguy.ca>
> > > > > > wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hi,
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Being somewhat new to managing a bunch of OS X machines Im
> > > > > > wondering what the best way to ensure common pathnames (for
> > > > > > render
> > > > > > jobs, etc) is. At the moment we are relying in users to do
> > > > > > the right
> > > > > > thing which is usually not a great idea. They are all on a
> > > > > > samba
> > > > > > controlled AD domain and Im reading we can do profiles in
> > > > > > Open
> > > > > > Directory. Is that the way or should we go with a puppet
> > > > > > recipe?
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > TIA,
> > > > > > Greg
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > --
> > > > > > Greg Dickie
> > > > > > just a guy
> > > > > > 514-983-5400
> > > > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail
> > > > > > to
> > > > > > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
> > > > > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > Greg Dickie
> > > > 514-983-5400
> > > > just a guy
> > > >
> > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
> > > > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
> > >
> > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
> > > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
> >
> >
> > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
> > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>
>
> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--
Greg Dickie
514-983-5400
just a guy

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--
Nicolas Allevato, Ops, 5th Kind

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Greg Dickie @ April 2, 2015, 12:30 p.m.
Ah, that's what I was wondering about. Does automount work properly? I've seen a few posts about mounts going away when the machine goes to sleep, etc. Greg On Thu, 2015-04-02 at 18:12 +0200, Antoine Durr wrote: > I use Apple's Open Directory server to serve NFS automounts, though I > don't have any Windows boxes, only OS X and CentOS. I got rid > of /Volumes a loooong time ago for NFS mounts. While 'NFS Manager' is > great for NFS, I presume something similar exists for SMB type mounts. > > > -- Antoine > > > > > On Apr 2, 2015, at 3:19 PM, Brian Krusic wrote: > > > > I can attest to using item 3) NFS, studio wide w/o issue. > > > > > > Windows NFS is not bad and about 15% slower in some cases (even with > > tweaks) but speed isnt everything, kinda like hurry up and wait. > > > > > > I used to use AxeNFS with a lot of success in XP x64 and plan to > > test it in Windows 7. > > > > > > There are registry setting one can employ to mod the UID/GID on the > > fly so that it matches the user session. > > > > > > At any rate, it doest really help the initial OP in terms of an all > > SMB/cross platform env. > > > > > > But regarding OSX, I do adapt studio wide to its /Volumes/ fromage > > and when I did run SMB a long while back, my Samba or Windows > > servers would have an alias name of Volumes so that UNC would > > resolve the same. > > > > > > > > > > - Brian > > > > Technologist... > > i.e., Purveyor of the ironic" > > > > > > On Apr 1, 2015, at 8:47 PM, mathieu xavier > > wrote: > > > > > Greg, > > > > > > My approach would be, in order: > > > > > > 1) Get render queue software to map different paths so /Volumes > > > mount on OS X and /hostname/share/nas on Windows is > > > interchangeable, and if that doesnt work > > > > > > 2) create a new folder on the root of your OS X boxes with the > > > hostname of your NAS/fileserver and symlink the share so that your > > > OS X mount point will look the same as the server:share style on > > > windows > > > > > > or > > > > > > 3) use NFS and create the mount point anywhere eye like on OS X an > > > Linux (windows NFS clients may be iffy, YMMV) > > > > > > :) > > > > > > Mathieu > > > > > > > On Apr 1, 2015, at 3:49 PM, Greg Dickie > > > > wrote: > > > > > > > > Hi Mat, > > > > > > > > The first one. I know how to handle windows and linux but I'm a > > > > bit > > > > new at the "MACs as real work machines" thing so while I try to > > > > convert > > > > everything to linux I need a good way to standardize mount > > > > points so > > > > everyone is pointing to the same directory on the NAS. Seems to > > > > be > > > > complicated by the fact we are mounting with SMB. Just wondering > > > > what > > > > the best practices are. > > > > > > > > Thanks for the reply, > > > > Greg > > > > > > > > > > > > On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 14:00 -0700, mathieu xavier wrote: > > > > > Greg, > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Do you mean that all your Macs are accessing your storage with > > > > > different pathnames, and you want to sanitize this? Or did you > > > > > mean > > > > > that you have Macs, Windows, and Linux all submitting jobs > > > > > with > > > > > different pathnames (because they are accessing the storage > > > > > with > > > > > different proticols)? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Why isnt your render queue software translating your paths > > > > > for you? I > > > > > used to do this with RUSH, and I believe most others do this > > > > > for you, > > > > > e.g. /Volumes/NAS/awesome is equal to /mnt/NAS-35/awful > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -x > > > > > > > > > > > On Apr 1, 2015, at 12:02 PM, Greg Dickie > > > > > > wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > > Hi, > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Being somewhat new to managing a bunch of OS X machines Im > > > > > > wondering what the best way to ensure common pathnames (for > > > > > > render > > > > > > jobs, etc) is. At the moment we are relying in users to do > > > > > > the right > > > > > > thing which is usually not a great idea. They are all on a > > > > > > samba > > > > > > controlled AD domain and Im reading we can do profiles in > > > > > > Open > > > > > > Directory. Is that the way or should we go with a puppet > > > > > > recipe? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > TIA, > > > > > > Greg > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > > > Greg Dickie > > > > > > just a guy > > > > > > 514-983-5400 > > > > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail > > > > > > to > > > > > > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to > > > > > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > > > > > > > -- > > > > Greg Dickie > > > > 514-983-5400 > > > > just a guy > > > > > > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to > > > > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > > > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to > > > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > > > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to > > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe -- Greg Dickie 514-983-5400 just a guy To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Anonymous @ April 2, 2015, 12:15 p.m.
I use Apple's Open Directory server to serve NFS automounts, though I don't have any Windows boxes, only OS X and CentOS.  I got rid of /Volumes a loooong time ago for NFS mounts.  While 'NFS Manager' is great for NFS, I presume something similar exists for SMB type mounts.
-- Antoine

On Apr 2, 2015, at 3:19 PM, Brian Krusic <brian@krusic.com> wrote:
I can attest to using item 3) NFS, studio wide w/o issue.
Windows NFS is not bad and about 15% slower in some cases (even with tweaks) but speed isnt everything, kinda like hurry up and wait.
I used to use AxeNFS with a lot of success in XP x64 and plan to test it in Windows 7.
There are registry setting one can employ to mod the UID/GID on the fly so that it matches the user session.
At any rate, it doest really help the initial OP in terms of an all SMB/cross platform env.
But regarding OSX, I do adapt studio wide to its /Volumes/ fromage and when I did run SMB a long while back, my Samba or Windows servers would have an alias name of Volumes so that UNC would resolve the same.

- Brian

Technologist...
i.e., Purveyor of the ironic"

On Apr 1, 2015, at 8:47 PM, mathieu xavier <matxdotca@gmail.com> wrote:
Greg,

My approach would be, in order:

1) Get render queue software to map different paths so /Volumes mount on OS X and /hostname/share/nas on Windows is interchangeable, and if that doesnt work

2) create a new folder on the root of your OS X boxes with the hostname of your NAS/fileserver and symlink the share so that your OS X mount point will look the same as the server:share style on windows

or

3) use NFS and create the mount point anywhere eye like on OS X an Linux (windows NFS clients may be iffy, YMMV)

:)

Mathieu

On Apr 1, 2015, at 3:49 PM, Greg Dickie <greg@justaguy.ca> wrote:

Hi Mat,

The first one. I know how to handle windows and linux but I'm a bit
new at the "MACs as real work machines" thing so while I try to convert
everything to linux I need a good way to standardize mount points so
everyone is pointing to the same directory on the NAS. Seems to be
complicated by the fact we are mounting with SMB. Just wondering what
the best practices are.

Thanks for the reply,
Greg

On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 14:00 -0700, mathieu xavier wrote:
Greg,

Do you mean that all your Macs are accessing your storage with
different pathnames, and you want to sanitize this? Or did you mean
that you have Macs, Windows, and Linux all submitting jobs with
different pathnames (because they are accessing the storage with
different proticols)?

Why isnt your render queue software translating your paths for you? I
used to do this with RUSH, and I believe most others do this for you,
e.g. /Volumes/NAS/awesome is equal to /mnt/NAS-35/awful

-x

On Apr 1, 2015, at 12:02 PM, Greg Dickie <greg@justaguy.ca> wrote:

Hi,

Being somewhat new to managing a bunch of OS X machines Im
wondering what the best way to ensure common pathnames (for render
jobs, etc) is. At the moment we are relying in users to do the right
thing which is usually not a great idea. They are all on a samba
controlled AD domain and Im reading we can do profiles in Open
Directory. Is that the way or should we go with a puppet recipe?

TIA,
Greg

--
Greg Dickie
just a guy
514-983-5400
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail
to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--
Greg Dickie
514-983-5400
just a guy

Response from Brian Krusic @ April 2, 2015, 10:30 a.m.
Let me re phrase now that my data banks are warming up.
So UNC is //server/resource/ which translates in Unixs for example as \from\aggio\.
So your server is named from" and its share is named aggio.
So, easy and cheezy.
- Brian

Technologist...

On Apr 2, 2015, at 6:19 AM, Brian Krusic <brian@krusic.com> wrote:
Windows NFS is not bad and about 15% slower in some cases (even with tweaks) but speed isnt everything, kinda like hurry up and wait.
I used to use AxeNFS with a lot of success in XP x64 and plan to test it in Windows 7.
There are registry setting one can employ to mod the UID/GID on the fly so that it matches the user session.
At any rate, it doest really help the initial OP in terms of an all SMB/cross platform env.
But regarding OSX, I do adapt studio wide to its /Volumes/ fromage and when I did run SMB a long while back, my Samba or Windows servers would have an alias name of Volumes so that UNC would resolve the same.

- Brian

Technologist...

Greg,

1) Get render queue software to map different paths so /Volumes mount on OS X and /hostname/share/nas on Windows is interchangeable, and if that doesnt work

2) create a new folder on the root of your OS X boxes with the hostname of your NAS/fileserver and symlink the share so that your OS X mount point will look the same as the server:share style on windows

or

3) use NFS and create the mount point anywhere eye like on OS X an Linux (windows NFS clients may be iffy, YMMV)

Mathieu

Hi Mat,

the best practices are.

Thanks for the reply,
Greg

Greg,

different proticols)?

-x

Hi,

TIA,
Greg

--
Greg Dickie
just a guy
514-983-5400
to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--
Greg Dickie
514-983-5400
just a guy

Response from Brian Krusic @ April 2, 2015, 9:25 a.m.

- Brian

Technologist...

Greg,

or

Mathieu

Hi Mat,

the best practices are.

Thanks for the reply,
Greg

Greg,

different proticols)?

-x

Hi,

TIA,
Greg

--
Greg Dickie
just a guy
514-983-5400

--
Greg Dickie
514-983-5400
just a guy

Response from Greg Dickie @ April 2, 2015, 7:15 a.m.
merci monsieur Greg On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 20:47 -0700, mathieu xavier wrote: > Greg, > > My approach would be, in order: > > 1) Get render queue software to map different paths so /Volumes mount on OS X and /hostname/share/nas on Windows is interchangeable, and if that doesnt work > > 2) create a new folder on the root of your OS X boxes with the hostname of your NAS/fileserver and symlink the share so that your OS X mount point will look the same as the server:share style on windows > > or > > 3) use NFS and create the mount point anywhere eye like on OS X an Linux (windows NFS clients may be iffy, YMMV) > > :) > > Mathieu > > > On Apr 1, 2015, at 3:49 PM, Greg Dickie wrote: > > > > Hi Mat, > > > > The first one. I know how to handle windows and linux but I'm a bit > > new at the "MACs as real work machines" thing so while I try to convert > > everything to linux I need a good way to standardize mount points so > > everyone is pointing to the same directory on the NAS. Seems to be > > complicated by the fact we are mounting with SMB. Just wondering what > > the best practices are. > > > > Thanks for the reply, > > Greg > > > > > > On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 14:00 -0700, mathieu xavier wrote: > >> Greg, > >> > >> > >> Do you mean that all your Macs are accessing your storage with > >> different pathnames, and you want to sanitize this? Or did you mean > >> that you have Macs, Windows, and Linux all submitting jobs with > >> different pathnames (because they are accessing the storage with > >> different proticols)? > >> > >> > >> Why isnt your render queue software translating your paths for you? I > >> used to do this with RUSH, and I believe most others do this for you, > >> e.g. /Volumes/NAS/awesome is equal to /mnt/NAS-35/awful > >> > >> > >> -x > >> > >>> On Apr 1, 2015, at 12:02 PM, Greg Dickie wrote: > >>> > >>> Hi, > >>> > >>> > >>> Being somewhat new to managing a bunch of OS X machines Im > >>> wondering what the best way to ensure common pathnames (for render > >>> jobs, etc) is. At the moment we are relying in users to do the right > >>> thing which is usually not a great idea. They are all on a samba > >>> controlled AD domain and Im reading we can do profiles in Open > >>> Directory. Is that the way or should we go with a puppet recipe? > >>> > >>> > >>> TIA, > >>> Greg > >>> > >>> > >>> -- > >>> Greg Dickie > >>> just a guy > >>> 514-983-5400 > >>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail > >>> to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > >> > >> > >> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > > > -- > > Greg Dickie > > 514-983-5400 > > just a guy > > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe -- Greg Dickie 514-983-5400 just a guy To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Mathieu Mauser @ April 1, 2015, 11:50 p.m.
Greg, My approach would be, in order: 1) Get render queue software to map different paths so /Volumes mount on OS X and /hostname/share/nas on Windows is interchangeable, and if that doesnt work 2) create a new folder on the root of your OS X boxes with the hostname of your NAS/fileserver and symlink the share so that your OS X mount point will look the same as the server:share style on windows or 3) use NFS and create the mount point anywhere eye like on OS X an Linux (windows NFS clients may be iffy, YMMV) :) Mathieu > On Apr 1, 2015, at 3:49 PM, Greg Dickie wrote: > > Hi Mat, > > The first one. I know how to handle windows and linux but I'm a bit > new at the "MACs as real work machines" thing so while I try to convert > everything to linux I need a good way to standardize mount points so > everyone is pointing to the same directory on the NAS. Seems to be > complicated by the fact we are mounting with SMB. Just wondering what > the best practices are. > > Thanks for the reply, > Greg > > > On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 14:00 -0700, mathieu xavier wrote: >> Greg, >> >> >> Do you mean that all your Macs are accessing your storage with >> different pathnames, and you want to sanitize this? Or did you mean >> that you have Macs, Windows, and Linux all submitting jobs with >> different pathnames (because they are accessing the storage with >> different proticols)? >> >> >> Why isnt your render queue software translating your paths for you? I >> used to do this with RUSH, and I believe most others do this for you, >> e.g. /Volumes/NAS/awesome is equal to /mnt/NAS-35/awful >> >> >> -x >> >>> On Apr 1, 2015, at 12:02 PM, Greg Dickie wrote: >>> >>> Hi, >>> >>> >>> Being somewhat new to managing a bunch of OS X machines Im >>> wondering what the best way to ensure common pathnames (for render >>> jobs, etc) is. At the moment we are relying in users to do the right >>> thing which is usually not a great idea. They are all on a samba >>> controlled AD domain and Im reading we can do profiles in Open >>> Directory. Is that the way or should we go with a puppet recipe? >>> >>> >>> TIA, >>> Greg >>> >>> >>> -- >>> Greg Dickie >>> just a guy >>> 514-983-5400 >>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail >>> to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe >> >> >> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > -- > Greg Dickie > 514-983-5400 > just a guy > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Jean-Francois Panisset @ April 1, 2015, 8:15 p.m.
One of the challenges with paths in OS X is that it really, really wants to mounts stuff in /Volumes/XXX, and Finder really, really wants to dereference symlinks, so when people try to cut and paste from Finder into UNIX-centric tools, all of your clever symlink trickery to make paths look the same on OS X and on Linux tends to fall apart. Everything tends to work fine in a shell, it's when you hit Finder (or even worse Adobe apps) that things get gross.

Similarly, it can be tempting to take advantage of UNC + DFS on Windows, the fact that internally Windows is "slash orientation agnostic", and the fact that UNIX ignores repeated forward slashes to make paths that in theory are the same on Windows and UNIX. My experience with that is that although this works in theory, in practice many Windows applications hard code the assumption that you are using drive letters (hello MS-DOS), and break in weird and wonderful ways when presented with UNC paths.

So as Mathieu said, on the render farm take advantage of path remapping functionality that most / all multi-platform queing systems have to map between different conventions and things will work fine.

On the client side, well, don't get too disappointed if your most clever plan falls apart when it hits the reality.

JF

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Greg Dickie <greg@justaguy.ca> wrote:
Hi Mat,

the best practices are.

Thanks for the reply,
Greg

> Greg,
>
>
> Do you mean that all your Macs are accessing your storage with
> different pathnames, and you want to sanitize this? Or did you mean
> that you have Macs, Windows, and Linux all submitting jobs with
> different pathnames (because they are accessing the storage with
> different proticols)?
>
>
> Why isnt your render queue software translating your paths for you? I
> used to do this with RUSH, and I believe most others do this for you,
> e.g. /Volumes/NAS/awesome is equal to /mnt/NAS-35/awful
>
>
> -x
>
> > On Apr 1, 2015, at 12:02 PM, Greg Dickie <greg@justaguy.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >
> > Being somewhat new to managing a bunch of OS X machines Im
> > wondering what the best way to ensure common pathnames (for render
> > jobs, etc) is. At the moment we are relying in users to do the right
> > thing which is usually not a great idea. They are all on a samba
> > controlled AD domain and Im reading we can do profiles in Open
> > Directory. Is that the way or should we go with a puppet recipe?
> >
> >
> > TIA,
> > Greg
> >
> >
> > --
> > Greg Dickie
> > just a guy
> > 514-983-5400
> > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail
> > to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>
>
> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--
Greg Dickie
514-983-5400
just a guy

Response from Greg Dickie @ April 1, 2015, 6:55 p.m.
Hi Mat, The first one. I know how to handle windows and linux but I'm a bit new at the "MACs as real work machines" thing so while I try to convert everything to linux I need a good way to standardize mount points so everyone is pointing to the same directory on the NAS. Seems to be complicated by the fact we are mounting with SMB. Just wondering what the best practices are. Thanks for the reply, Greg On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 14:00 -0700, mathieu xavier wrote: > Greg, > > > Do you mean that all your Macs are accessing your storage with > different pathnames, and you want to sanitize this? Or did you mean > that you have Macs, Windows, and Linux all submitting jobs with > different pathnames (because they are accessing the storage with > different proticols)? > > > Why isnt your render queue software translating your paths for you? I > used to do this with RUSH, and I believe most others do this for you, > e.g. /Volumes/NAS/awesome is equal to /mnt/NAS-35/awful > > > -x > > > On Apr 1, 2015, at 12:02 PM, Greg Dickie wrote: > > > > Hi, > > > > > > Being somewhat new to managing a bunch of OS X machines Im > > wondering what the best way to ensure common pathnames (for render > > jobs, etc) is. At the moment we are relying in users to do the right > > thing which is usually not a great idea. They are all on a samba > > controlled AD domain and Im reading we can do profiles in Open > > Directory. Is that the way or should we go with a puppet recipe? > > > > > > TIA, > > Greg > > > > > > -- > > Greg Dickie > > just a guy > > 514-983-5400 > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail > > to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe -- Greg Dickie 514-983-5400 just a guy To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Mathieu Mauser @ April 1, 2015, 5:05 p.m.
Greg,
Do you mean that all your Macs are accessing your storage with different pathnames, and you want to sanitize this? Or did you mean that you have Macs, Windows, and Linux all submitting jobs with different pathnames (because they are accessing the storage with different proticols)?
Why isnt your render queue software translating your paths for you? I used to do this with RUSH, and I believe most others do this for you, e.g. /Volumes/NAS/awesome is equal to /mnt/NAS-35/awful
-x
Hi,
  Being somewhat new to managing a bunch of OS X machines Im wondering what the best way to ensure common pathnames (for render jobs, etc) is. At the moment we are relying in users to do the right thing which is usually not a great idea. They are all on a samba controlled AD domain and Im reading we can do profiles in Open Directory. Is that the way or should we go with a puppet recipe?
TIA,Greg
-- 
Greg Dickie
just a guy514-983-5400To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe