Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Volunteers for SSA Meetings
posted by John Hickson  on Jan. 8, 2014, 12:37 p.m. (5 years, 9 months, 11 days ago)
7 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

All,

We are looking for more people to volunteer and help get more StudioSysAdmins meetings for 2014!  This year we plan on having events at both NAB and SIGGRAPH as well.

We currently do not have anyone in the San Francisco/Bay area. Jaime Gago can no longer do it - We thank Jaimie for his help in the past and wish him the best of luck.

If you are interested in helping out in your city, or if we can use your space to hold meetings, please contact me and let me know.

john.hickson@studiosysadmins.com

In February will be holding meetings in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, New York, and Sydney - confirmation and details are being worked on now.

We are also open to any ideas on how to get more people out to meetings so your feedback is always welcome...

Thank you;
John Hickson

Thread Tags:
  social 

Response from Dan Young @ Jan. 14, 2014, 6:25 p.m.
It's all about knowing the audience and not selling - we've been successful in NY and London without being boring or annoying. (Seemingly)
Sent from my iPhone
On Jan 14, 2014, at 18:17, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:

i've always thought of road maps a way to secure another customer who was on the fence more so than something useful to an existing customer.       its like a "me too",  "we'll have that soon" thing,  'checks in the mail'...

they usually include more info which is not directly relevant or useful to your current environment than is.  but from a geek perspective its totally tolerable,   as long as we don't get into deep conversations on "how you can use this new technology"..   

i had a vendor who was stoked to tell me about how they will soon be able to deploy 1000's of VMs in seconds,   and go on about it at length.   he must of thought he was talking to someone at Amazon who would find that useful.  8)

I'd rather sit and watch a 2 hour video on the manufacturing/design process and factory tour than hear about what the features of same product can do for 30 minutes in most cases (because we have google!!)   8)  

ahh google... its going to create an interesting generation...   in the future google may be considered an 'essential' service,  not unlike 911. 

-g

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 5:55 PM, Dan Young <vfx.it.london@gmail.com> wrote:
That's how it should work, as far as I'm concerned. 
To counter - there are boring technologies - I've often not allowed anything but cool shit to be shown. Roadmaps are always nice, new, fresh, not killing a dead horse. 

Sent from my iPhone
On Jan 14, 2014, at 16:22, Ben De Luca <bdeluca@gmail.com> wrote:

In London events, I try and keep the vendor talks to under 15 minutes each.
Tell us some thing cool about your product and people who are interested will talk in more depth afterwards in person.  

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 7:40 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:

>  We are also open to any ideas on how to get more people out to meetings so your feedback is always welcome...

1.  prizes

2. free tshirts

3. female talent

4. contests!   -  like beer shotgun shoot outs,  or LAN matches!  pew pew!

5. start a global sys admin union chapter,   local 420.

6. comfortable couches,  or sofas..

7. video card and SSD door prizes.

8.  current hacking methods.

9. stop vendor monopolization of the meetings.  - i know this is a tuff one as they do the sponsoring,  and they deserve some respect and an 'ask',  but personally I'd give up the free beer and pay for my own than sit threw some of those presentations again.   8)  ,  but i can't help but feel as if its a bit of a force feeding.   maybe they can give out access codes where we can go view a webinar or similar.   A DVD with a presentation on it we can watch on our own time.     If i had anything negative to say about the meetings is sometimes I don't like listening for an hour or more about something I'm likely never going to consider or purchase.  

10.  vendor cage matches!  representation from the various vendors in the same room,  at the same time.   we shoot the questions to the 'board' and let them answer,  or 'debate' it.  one weekend it could be Cisco and Brocade,  some other time HDS/EMC...  i'd pay to attend those ones.

11. 50/50 draws! 

12. more disco balls

13. Review recent posts on the email list and see if anyone cares to talk about it further  " ok here is one from jonny from last week,  he asks the list " has any one used product X".. or not..

14. beer before the meetings,  not after.  8)

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 12:37 PM, <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

All,

We are looking for more people to volunteer and help get more StudioSysAdmins meetings for 2014!  This year we plan on having events at both NAB and SIGGRAPH as well.

We currently do not have anyone in the San Francisco/Bay area. Jaime Gago can no longer do it - We thank Jaimie for his help in the past and wish him the best of luck.

If you are interested in helping out in your city, or if we can use your space to hold meetings, please contact me and let me know.

In February will be holding meetings in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, New York, and Sydney - confirmation and details are being worked on now.

We are also open to any ideas on how to get more people out to meetings so your feedback is always welcome...

Thank you;
John Hickson

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Greg Whynott @ Jan. 14, 2014, 6:20 p.m.
i've always thought of road maps a way to secure another customer who was on the fence more so than something useful to an existing customer. its like a "me too", "we'll have that soon" thing, 'checks in the mail'...

they usually include more info which is not directly relevant or useful to your current environment than is. but from a geek perspective its totally tolerable, as long as we don't get into deep conversations on "how you can use this new technology"..

i had a vendor who was stoked to tell me about how they will soon be able to deploy 1000's of VMs in seconds, and go on about it at length. he must of thought he was talking to someone at Amazon who would find that useful. 8)

I'd rather sit and watch a 2 hour video on the manufacturing/design process and factory tour than hear about what the features of same product can do for 30 minutes in most cases (because we have google!!) 8)

ahh google... its going to create an interesting generation... in the future google may be considered an 'essential' service, not unlike 911.

-g

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 5:55 PM, Dan Young <vfx.it.london@gmail.com> wrote:
To counter - there are boring technologies - I've often not allowed anything but cool shit to be shown. Roadmaps are always nice, new, fresh, not killing a dead horse.

Sent from my iPhone

Tell us some thing cool about your product and people who are interested will talk in more depth afterwards in person.

> We are also open to any ideas on how to get more people out to meetings so your feedback is always welcome...

1. prizes

2. free tshirts

3. female talent

4. contests! - like beer shotgun shoot outs, or LAN matches! pew pew!

5. start a global sys admin union chapter, local 420.

6. comfortable couches, or sofas..

8. current hacking methods.

9. stop vendor monopolization of the meetings. - i know this is a tuff one as they do the sponsoring, and they deserve some respect and an 'ask', but personally I'd give up the free beer and pay for my own than sit threw some of those presentations again. 8) , but i can't help but feel as if its a bit of a force feeding. maybe they can give out access codes where we can go view a webinar or similar. A DVD with a presentation on it we can watch on our own time. If i had anything negative to say about the meetings is sometimes I don't like listening for an hour or more about something I'm likely never going to consider or purchase.

10. vendor cage matches! representation from the various vendors in the same room, at the same time. we shoot the questions to the 'board' and let them answer, or 'debate' it. one weekend it could be Cisco and Brocade, some other time HDS/EMC... i'd pay to attend those ones.

11. 50/50 draws!

12. more disco balls

13. Review recent posts on the email list and see if anyone cares to talk about it further " ok here is one from jonny from last week, he asks the list " has any one used product X".. or not..

14. beer before the meetings, not after. 8)

All,

We are looking for more people to volunteer and help get more StudioSysAdmins meetings for 2014! This year we plan on having events at both NAB and SIGGRAPH as well.

Thank you;
John Hickson

Response from Dan Young @ Jan. 14, 2014, 6 p.m.

Sent from my iPhone

>  We are also open to any ideas on how to get more people out to meetings so your feedback is always welcome...

1.  prizes

2. free tshirts

3. female talent

4. contests!   -  like beer shotgun shoot outs,  or LAN matches!  pew pew!

5. start a global sys admin union chapter,   local 420.

6. comfortable couches,  or sofas..

8.  current hacking methods.

9. stop vendor monopolization of the meetings.  - i know this is a tuff one as they do the sponsoring,  and they deserve some respect and an 'ask',  but personally I'd give up the free beer and pay for my own than sit threw some of those presentations again.   8)  ,  but i can't help but feel as if its a bit of a force feeding.   maybe they can give out access codes where we can go view a webinar or similar.   A DVD with a presentation on it we can watch on our own time.     If i had anything negative to say about the meetings is sometimes I don't like listening for an hour or more about something I'm likely never going to consider or purchase.  

10.  vendor cage matches!  representation from the various vendors in the same room,  at the same time.   we shoot the questions to the 'board' and let them answer,  or 'debate' it.  one weekend it could be Cisco and Brocade,  some other time HDS/EMC...  i'd pay to attend those ones.

11. 50/50 draws! 

12. more disco balls

13. Review recent posts on the email list and see if anyone cares to talk about it further  " ok here is one from jonny from last week,  he asks the list " has any one used product X".. or not..

14. beer before the meetings,  not after.  8)

All,

Thank you;
John Hickson

Response from Ben De Luca @ Jan. 14, 2014, 4:25 p.m.

> We are also open to any ideas on how to get more people out to meetings so your feedback is always welcome...

1. prizes

2. free tshirts

3. female talent

9. stop vendor monopolization of the meetings. - i know this is a tuff one as they do the sponsoring, and they deserve some respect and an 'ask', but personally I'd give up the free beer and pay for my own than sit threw some of those presentations again. 8) , but i can't help but feel as if its a bit of a force feeding. maybe they can give out access codes where we can go view a webinar or similar. A DVD with a presentation on it we can watch on our own time. If i had anything negative to say about the meetings is sometimes I don't like listening for an hour or more about something I'm likely never going to consider or purchase.

10. vendor cage matches! representation from the various vendors in the same room, at the same time. we shoot the questions to the 'board' and let them answer, or 'debate' it. one weekend it could be Cisco and Brocade, some other time HDS/EMC... i'd pay to attend those ones.

11. 50/50 draws!

12. more disco balls

13. Review recent posts on the email list and see if anyone cares to talk about it further " ok here is one from jonny from last week, he asks the list " has any one used product X".. or not..

All,

We are looking for more people to volunteer and help get more StudioSysAdmins meetings for 2014! This year we plan on having events at both NAB and SIGGRAPH as well.

Thank you;
John Hickson

Response from Dan Young @ Jan. 14, 2014, 3:35 p.m.
NYC is actually looking like March 6th, with Avere and SGI showing us roadmaps, pizza, beers, etc - still working out the details. Flyer and concrete advert coming soon.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Jeremy Lang <jeremy.lang@it4vfx.com> wrote:
+1 on #9 and #10! Vendors droning endlessly without scrutiny or challenge: meh. Vendors facing off against each other as we hurl questions (and more) is awesome.

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:40 AM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:

1. prizes

2. free tshirts

3. female talent

11. 50/50 draws!

12. more disco balls

All,

Thank you;
John Hickson

--
----------
Dan Young
CineSys-Oceana New York347-334-0132

Response from Jeremy Lang @ Jan. 14, 2014, 2:05 p.m.
+1 on #9 and #10! Vendors droning endlessly without scrutiny or challenge: meh. Vendors facing off against each other as we hurl questions (and more) is awesome.

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:40 AM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:

1. prizes

2. free tshirts

3. female talent

11. 50/50 draws!

12. more disco balls

All,

Thank you;
John Hickson

Response from Greg Whynott @ Jan. 8, 2014, 2:45 p.m.

1. prizes

2. free tshirts

3. female talent

11. 50/50 draws!

12. more disco balls

All,

Thank you;
John Hickson