Sponsors
Sponsor Products
qube + 3dsmax + vray
posted by Mathew Power  on May 15, 2013, 2:45 a.m. (6 years, 5 months, 4 days ago)
2 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Hi, I'm trying to get max rendering with vray working on qube. After some trial and error we managed to get it halfway working. Its not really ideal however as the worker process has to be run as a desktop user. If the worker is run as a service and doesn't have screen space then the job fails. I think its something to do with qube loosing track of the process. Running as a desktop user isn't really ideal as they keep crashing and its just a pain to manage. The other thing I've had to do was make sure everyone uses the 3ds max batch submit option. This is less smart than the default max submitter which holds the scene open on each worker so it doesn't need to be reloaded for every frame. It does seem to be completely broken though!
Does anyone use qube from rendering max? I would be really grateful to hear from anyone who has got this working properly.
Cheers,
Mat

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Mathew Power @ May 15, 2013, 11:30 a.m.
Hi Douglas,
We have perl install and all the prerequisites needed to run a 3ds max job type. The reason we need to run it in screen space is if you don't the worker looses track of the PID and it never works out when the frame is finished so the frame/job runs forever.
PFX seem to acknowledged there is a bug but I was wondering if anyone else had seen this and found a work around.
mat

On 15 May 2013 16:01, Douglas Meyer <dougmeyer@mac.com> wrote:
Why would you need screenspace for a render job?
Don't really follow the submitter part. Are you having issues with Qube's BatchRender? Do you have perl installed on the workers? IIRC this is required by the BatchRender types.
We don't use Max but run Maya + Vray frequently as a service, no issue.
Also may want to try Pfx support. Always been super helpful.
Doug

On May 15, 2013, at 02:41 AM, Mathew Power <mathew.power@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, I'm trying to get max rendering with vray working on qube. After some trial and error we managed to get it halfway working. Its not really ideal however as the worker process has to be run as a desktop user. If the worker is run as a service and doesn't have screen space then the job fails. I think its something to do with qube loosing track of the process. Running as a desktop user isn't really ideal as they keep crashing and its just a pain to manage. The other thing I've had to do was make sure everyone uses the 3ds max batch submit option. This is less smart than the default max submitter which holds the scene open on each worker so it doesn't need to be reloaded for every frame. It does seem to be completely broken though!
Does anyone use qube from rendering max? I would be really grateful to hear from anyone who has got this working properly.
Cheers,
Mat To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Anonymous @ May 15, 2013, 11:05 a.m.
Why would you need screenspace for a render job?
Don't really follow the submitter part.  Are you having issues with Qube's BatchRender?  Do you have perl installed on the workers?  IIRC this is required by the BatchRender types.
We don't use Max but run Maya + Vray frequently as a service, no issue.
Also may want to try Pfx support.  Always been super helpful.
Doug

On May 15, 2013, at 02:41 AM, Mathew Power <mathew.power@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, I'm trying to get max rendering with vray working on qube. After some trial and error we managed to get it halfway working. Its not really ideal however as the worker process has to be run as a desktop user. If the worker is run as a service and doesn't have screen space then the job fails. I think its something to do with qube loosing track of the process. Running as a desktop user isn't really ideal as they keep crashing and its just a pain to manage. The other thing I've had to do was make sure everyone uses the 3ds max batch submit option. This is less smart than the default max submitter which holds the scene open on each worker so it doesn't need to be reloaded for every frame. It does seem to be completely broken though!
Does anyone use qube from rendering max? I would be really grateful to hear from anyone who has got this working properly. 
Cheers,
MatTo unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments