Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Dell U3011 + Nvidia 4000 + Win7x64 OS - Flicker/Lock-ups
posted by Mike Owen  on Aug. 21, 2012, 6:05 p.m. (7 years, 1 month, 28 days ago)
4 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Hi,Stab in the dark, but anyone got a similar setup and?experienced?any graphics issues, particularly after the monitor has been ON for more than 8 hours? Graphics flickers, screen lockup, etc.
Dell U3011 - 30" monitor - running 2560 x 1600 @ 60HzNvidia 4000 fermi 2GB card with latest 297.03 driversWin7x64sp1 OS
I'm?particularly?interested in anyone citing the usual graphics software such as 3dsMax, Maya, Nuke, Adobe CS5 AE as being the cause. Google brings up nothing, nor does DELL or Nvidia support sites nor Nvidia / Dell release notes.
Thanks,Mike

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Willem Koopman @ Aug. 22, 2012, 5:45 a.m.
I'm not sure of the actual GPU temperature, but I couldn't touch it as the case was blinding hot. judging by the state of the asset tag (dymo thermal printer jobbie) it must have been push 60-70 degrees C(the case, not the GPU). The really odd thing was that the fan was still running, it wasn't like it'd got stuck or the bearings had ceased. I've just had a look, with some simple GL type workload, the GPU hits 83 degrees before the fan speeds up from 40% to 44%. (this is a working one.) Seems fairly stable after that, anytime the GPU pushes above 83 degrees the fan ramps right up. On Wed, 2012-08-22 at 10:14 +0100, Cal Sawyer wrote: > Interesting - i had one go a while back in a Z600 and HP replaced it > with zero fuss. Fan was OK. > > I don't think NV publishes GPU temperature information, but what kind of > GPU temps are indicative of immanent overheating? I see 72C on a 3800 > right now and 86C on the aforementioned 4000 that got replaced > > - cal > > On 22/08/12 09:55, Willem Koopman wrote: > > we've had a few 4000s die from overheating, some with working fans, some > > not. > > > > On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 23:01 +0100, Mike Owen wrote: > >> Hi, > >> Stab in the dark, but anyone got a similar setup and experienced any > >> graphics issues, particularly after the monitor has been ON for more > >> than 8 hours? Graphics flickers, screen lockup, etc. > >> > >> > >> Dell U3011 - 30" monitor - running 2560 x 1600 @ 60Hz > >> Nvidia 4000 fermi 2GB card with latest 297.03 drivers > >> Win7x64sp1 OS > >> > >> > >> I'm particularly interested in anyone citing the usual graphics > >> software such as 3dsMax, Maya, Nuke, Adobe CS5 AE as being the cause. > >> Google brings up nothing, nor does DELL or Nvidia support sites nor > >> Nvidia / Dell release notes. > >> > >> > >> Thanks, > >> Mike > >> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Cal Sawyer @ Aug. 22, 2012, 5:15 a.m.
Interesting - i had one go a while back in a Z600 and HP replaced it with zero fuss. Fan was OK. I don't think NV publishes GPU temperature information, but what kind of GPU temps are indicative of immanent overheating? I see 72C on a 3800 right now and 86C on the aforementioned 4000 that got replaced - cal On 22/08/12 09:55, Willem Koopman wrote: > we've had a few 4000s die from overheating, some with working fans, some > not. > > On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 23:01 +0100, Mike Owen wrote: >> Hi, >> Stab in the dark, but anyone got a similar setup and experienced any >> graphics issues, particularly after the monitor has been ON for more >> than 8 hours? Graphics flickers, screen lockup, etc. >> >> >> Dell U3011 - 30" monitor - running 2560 x 1600 @ 60Hz >> Nvidia 4000 fermi 2GB card with latest 297.03 drivers >> Win7x64sp1 OS >> >> >> I'm particularly interested in anyone citing the usual graphics >> software such as 3dsMax, Maya, Nuke, Adobe CS5 AE as being the cause. >> Google brings up nothing, nor does DELL or Nvidia support sites nor >> Nvidia / Dell release notes. >> >> >> Thanks, >> Mike >> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe -- Cal Sawyer | Systems Engineer BlueBolt Ltd | 15-16 Margaret Street | London W1W 8RW | T: +44 (0)20 7637 5575 | F: +44 (0)20 7637 3296 | www.blue-bolt.com | To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Willem Koopman @ Aug. 22, 2012, 5 a.m.
we've had a few 4000s die from overheating, some with working fans, some not. On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 23:01 +0100, Mike Owen wrote: > Hi, > Stab in the dark, but anyone got a similar setup and experienced any > graphics issues, particularly after the monitor has been ON for more > than 8 hours? Graphics flickers, screen lockup, etc. > > > Dell U3011 - 30" monitor - running 2560 x 1600 @ 60Hz > Nvidia 4000 fermi 2GB card with latest 297.03 drivers > Win7x64sp1 OS > > > I'm particularly interested in anyone citing the usual graphics > software such as 3dsMax, Maya, Nuke, Adobe CS5 AE as being the cause. > Google brings up nothing, nor does DELL or Nvidia support sites nor > Nvidia / Dell release notes. > > > Thanks, > Mike > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from John Burton @ Aug. 21, 2012, 6:15 p.m.
Only weirdness I've seen like that was on a MSI-branded 470 due to an overclocking/voltage system tray app (Afterburner) that had to be running 24/7, or else the card would go nuts (screen flashing, "Driver has stopped and recovered" errors, weird banding).   Even the vendor's own demo (Kombustion, I think it was) would freak out and crash if the Afterburner wasn't running.

If that utility was running, no problem.  Without it, all heck breaks loose.

I suggest you check your manufacturer and make sure there's no utility that's intended to be running with it to handle voltage and clockspeeds.  It may be a lot less optional that it would seem on the site.

JB